Thread: My child bit another kid at school!!

Default My child bit another kid at school!!

I can't really believe it myself but my 4.5 yr old ds bit another child at school! Apparently this was a new kid in his class and he was pushing my kid (at a top of a structure in playground) and wouldn't stop so my ds bit him! It's so out of character for my ds that his teachers (and we are) totally shocked. The other kid is new in his class and apparently has had trouble adjusting. Obviously we talked to our ds about the inappropriate way to respond. I don't know even know what to do beside that. I am annoyed a little that the teachers were Not doing better job of supervising but I guess it could have happened fast. Thoughts?

It's ok! He obviously felt out of control and frightened. I would kindly ask the teachers what their plan is to avoid the situation in the future. When I worked in early childhood, we used to have written plans of action for these types of things. It usually involved shadowing and logging so that we could detect patterns of behavior around certain parts of the day and use proactive methods to stop the behavior before it started. If the child is having troubles adjusting, he should be on watch at all times.
    Talk to him about the power of his voice. Shouting NO STOP to get the child off him and alert his teachers as well.

Hopefully the teachers will watch over the new boy a little more actively going forward until he adjusts, and there should be procedures to watch him and your son when they are together. After having worked in a preschool setting, I realize how hard it is to keep up with them all. But hopefully, the teachers will shadow them going forward to make sure there is no more trouble.

We've had similar issues in DD's classroom, with new additions. Usually, the new kid, not really used to the way they should handle emotions, acting inappropriately. The teachers should be able to articulate a plan for what they plan to do, in order to prevent similar issues in the future, and yes, it can happen super fast, so don't be surprised if there are minor incidents while it gets sorted out. This too, shall pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    It's ok! He obviously felt out of control and frightened. I would kindly ask the teachers what their plan is to avoid the situation in the future. When I worked in early childhood, we used to have written plans of action for these types of things. It usually involved shadowing and logging so that we could detect patterns of behavior around certain parts of the day and use proactive methods to stop the behavior before it started. If the child is having troubles adjusting, he should be on watch at all times.
    Talk to him about the power of his voice. Shouting NO STOP to get the child off him and alert his teachers as well.
    I agree especially with the bold. Cody hasn't bit anyone however, he hit another child because another child was very much in his face.
    We told him the same thing.
    *** Lindsay ***

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I agree with this. It is hard sometimes as a teacher to be right there for everything that is happening, especially when the kids are on the playground. But now that the teacher knows there is a situation between your DS and the new boy, they should be monitoring it more closely now.

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

I agree with the above. Sounds like the teachers will need to monitor the new kid until he settles in some more. I like the idea of teaching your DS appropriate ways to get the teachers' attention and advocate for himself.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    I agree with the above. Sounds like the teachers will need to monitor the new kid until he settles in some more. I like the idea of teaching your DS appropriate ways to get the teachers' attention and advocate for himself.
    this!

I agree with the others. I guess the teacher should be alerted but really it's the playground attendant who needs to watch the new kid if he is that bothersome.