Thread: at my wits end

Default at my wits end

dd has been up since 3 am. ever since dropping her nap she will not sleep thru the night and usually wake around 5 am wanting to be up for the day and play. she is a cranky mess. i am a cranky mess. she is waking every one in the house and nothing is working to keep her in bed or her room.

i no longer have patience. i need someone to help me out but you all know that is not going to be dh...
    (insert sarcastic voice)he needs his sleep for work (end voice)

i feel like i am going to do something i will regret and there is no one at this ungodly hour that can or will help me out.. i am so angry tired frustrated and upset... dh and i had a fight yesterday and i cried alot which gives me a headache and i need sleep to fix that which is not happening.

all i can do right now is cry. i have tons going on tomorrow ( it being ds b-day and also a monday which is the only day i have to run errands) why dd why why won't you sleep? i have read sleepless in america and nothing in the book is helping.
    i tried letting her sleep with daddy and i and she just wanted to jump on the bed.

suggestions? tips? advice? this momma can't handle another sleepless night... she can't handle anything anymore.

Both of my kids have gone through 5 AM wake up phases and it STINKS! DS just recently started sleeping till the 6 AM hour or past, so I definitely feel your pain. There were a few really rough mornings where I would bring him downstairs so he wouldn't wake up DH and DD. I would give him some cereal in a snack cup, his sippy of milk, and put on Sesame Street. He would basically watch and play around me while I rested on the couch (I couldn't really fall back asleep, but I would close my eyes for a bit). It helped some. It is obviously not the same as actual sleeping, but it did make it a tiny bit better to rest my eyes. That, and lots and lots of coffee!

I also would try and take a nap when DS went down, which is pretty hard when DD is up and ready to play. But on the bad days, I would put her in bed with me and try to get her to take a nap with me. If that didn't work, I would put a show on for her in my room that she could watch while I was napping. (she is 4 1/2)

When there isn't anyone else around to help, it's very tough. Trust me, i was a crying, frustrated mess many of those early mornings. I sometimes feel guilty having the tv basically babysit my DD while I am napping, but 30-60 minutes of quiet for all of us is sometimes the best thing when I haven't slept all night!

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

did i forget to mention that neither of my children will nap now? so there is no down time... as i was typing my rant this morning dd fell asleep in her doorway... if i would of known she was going to fall asleep while i was on the computer i would of been on around 315 instead of nearly 6 am.

things may be a bit easier if she were waking at 6 am daily but shes waking anywhere from 3 am thinking its time to start the day. i did get some sleep though since once she fell asleep she stayed asleep till 930 when ds got up. i just wish she would sleep thru the night again...

is this a phase? i am hoping so, she has been refusing her dinners wanting junk food instead so when she gets up i know its because shes hungry. what kinds of foods can i feed her that are full of protein that would seem like junk food to a 2 yr old?

My 2 yr old dd has been getting up 5-6 am daily for last few months! It's sucks!! I haven't found solution yet

My almost 1 year old has STTN maybe twice since he's been born and now he is pulling the waking up at 4:45 am cr*p too. I'm having the same time of day--so mad at DS, exhausted from the lack of sleep + exhausted from trying to hide the fact that I'm mad at DS + fighting with my DH. It just sucks. I'm sorry

Quote Originally Posted by froggie83 View Post
    is this a phase? i am hoping so, she has been refusing her dinners wanting junk food instead so when she gets up i know its because shes hungry. what kinds of foods can i feed her that are full of protein that would seem like junk food to a 2 yr old?
    Will she eat string cheese? A PB&J sandwich? Milk with one of those 'Got Milk?' straws in it? Baked chicken nuggets or fish sticks?

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Will she eat string cheese? A PB&J sandwich? Milk with one of those 'Got Milk?' straws in it? Baked chicken nuggets or fish sticks?
    All of these foods I was going to suggest.
    *** Lindsay ***

I cut up sweet potatoes to look like french fries and then coat them with a little bit of olive oil, a dash of salt, and a little bit of cinnamon and then bake them. These usually win my very picky DD over. I don't think they are too high in protein, but I think they are like 4 or 5 g of fiber so they are filling. She also loves breakfast for dinner so we will do pancakes and bacon. I am lucky because she uses just a little bit of syrup if she uses it at all so we get away with it.

My DD loves cheese quesadillas, too.

As tough as it is take a deep breath and remind yourself "this too shall pass" my daughter went through this as well. My only fix was talking to her pedi who suggested a small amount of melatonin, white noise machine (I used an app on the kindle) and warm bath. It doesnt always work but its made it manageable. If its affecting your life and making things harder on you. Id call and talk to the doctor or nurse. Goodluck you can do this.

Could you get one of those sleep training clocks for DD? http://nursery.about.com/od/Bedding-...s-For-Kids.htm

I have never used one, but I have often thought they might be cool.

I have lived through this early waking phase and it was DIFFICULT. Now we're working on my DS1 (5.5) to not call for us to come get him out of his bed in the mornings. He's allowed to come in and cuddle, but over the last couple of months he's started a habit of yelling for us and wanting us to come get him. Two mornings in a row now he's not done that. Whew! Sometimes these phases are SO trying.

But the phase that takes sleep from you ... the WORST!!! I feel for you, Mama!
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

I think it's a phase but they are hard to get through! She is in a bed? Have you tried walking her back to her bed and sleeping in there with her either in her bed or on the floor? What do you do when she wakes up at 3? I wonder if she fell asleep in the doorway while you were on the computer because you were not paying attention to her?

She is probably very overtired. 2y3m is young to go all day without a nap and then wake up overnight on top of that. Can you force a nap if you drive her around or go for a walk with the stroller? What about a midday family movie where you can ALL lay down and relax and watch a movie on a bed or something and maybe you can all get a nap?
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

Blog Entries

We do have a sleep clock like the one linked. It is yellow for when they are supposed to be in bed and green for when they are allowed to be up. It has helped some in that they will not leave their room until the clock turns green. They usually just play in their room even though we want them to just go back to sleep. Since they do play quietly we do get to sleep a bit longer.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

if i want her to fall asleep in the vehicle i would have to drive for over an hour to get her to fall asleep, and once the truck stops she wakes.
    shes too interested in her surroundings for a walk to work, we took a bikeride with her in the trailer and she fell asleep for the last 1/2 mile of the 10 mile trip.

she will eat cheese and occasionally a pb and j the only healthy stuff she eats is fruits, and she will eat tons of them.

at 3 am i start by feeding her since i know she is starving (i can hear her tummy rumbling) then i rock her for a bit and sometimes thats all it takes to get her back to sleep, other times i put her in hr bed and sit in the rocker silently till shes asleep, this last time i tried bringing her to my bed with me and dh it was a no go and she started jumping on our bed so i brought her back to her room and baby gated her in and sat at the computer where i could see her if she tried to climb over the gate, and when she did try i told her to go to bed. and thats when she finally gave up and fell asleep in her doorway.

dd will not watch a movie, so that does not work for her, ds will and sometimes will fall asleep too but not if dd is awake. she wakes him up.
    very frustrating... i feel like i have tried every trick in the book. what am i missing?
    i will try loading her up on cheese before bed so she may have enough food in her tummy to sleep longer than 3am.

ds has a well check on thursday so i will talk to the pedi for suggestions of protein rich stuff to get her back to sleeping more.

Quote Originally Posted by froggie83 View Post
    if i want her to fall asleep in the vehicle i would have to drive for over an hour to get her to fall asleep, and once the truck stops she wakes.
    shes too interested in her surroundings for a walk to work, we took a bikeride with her in the trailer and she fell asleep for the last 1/2 mile of the 10 mile trip.

she will eat cheese and occasionally a pb and j the only healthy stuff she eats is fruits, and she will eat tons of them.

at 3 am i start by feeding her since i know she is starving (i can hear her tummy rumbling) then i rock her for a bit and sometimes thats all it takes to get her back to sleep, other times i put her in hr bed and sit in the rocker silently till shes asleep, this last time i tried bringing her to my bed with me and dh it was a no go and she started jumping on our bed so i brought her back to her room and baby gated her in and sat at the computer where i could see her if she tried to climb over the gate, and when she did try i told her to go to bed. and thats when she finally gave up and fell asleep in her doorway.

dd will not watch a movie, so that does not work for her, ds will and sometimes will fall asleep too but not if dd is awake. she wakes him up.
    very frustrating... i feel like i have tried every trick in the book. what am i missing?
    i will try loading her up on cheese before bed so she may have enough food in her tummy to sleep longer than 3am.

ds has a well check on thursday so i will talk to the pedi for suggestions of protein rich stuff to get her back to sleeping more.
    My kids were like that in the car! We would drive for a while and they fell asleep the last 10 mins and then woke up when I pulled in the driveway! I was so jealous of people who could carry their kids into the house and dump them in bed while asleep! That NEVER happened. Ever!

It seems like an annoying thing you may just have to wait out. I would definitely try to fill her up on any food that you can before bed and try not to feed her when she wakes at 3am. That is definitely reinforcing it. If she eats enough before bed she should not be hungry overnight (unless this is a growth spurt or something which it could be....) I would just pick a method that works best for you and be very consistent with it....be as boring as possible and hopefully she will just stop doing it.
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

im sure it is a phase, but hopefully it won't kill you before it passes No sleep is sooo hard, torture even.

i agree with making sure she is well fed before bed, and try not to feed her at 3am. You may be unwittingly setting her internal clock to be hungry in the wee hours, causing her to continueing to wake then. Some cheese and fruit before bed might help.

If she's not napping, what time is she going to bed after waking so early? Do you have black out shades in her bedroom? Are her windows opened at night/ I keep waking at 4:20am because it's light then and the birds are making a racket out there, and the busses start running every 20mins. I always close the windows then.

they crop dust too often for me to have windows open, it wrecks havock on our allergies to do that so all windows are closed. she has blackout blinds and darkening curtains. its dark in there all the time.
    i didn't think of a growth spurt.. it could also be a developmental milestone... she is making more and more sentences and telling us what color stuff is.... usually when my ds has a growth spurt he eats constantly and a full meal right after a snack, like he is never full, for dd she just does not want to eat... ever. unless its junk food or fruit. but she does like cheese so i will be filling her up on fruit and cheese before bed tonight.

this needs to pass a little bit faster!

Does your DD eat yogurt? We also freeze Gogurts (or the Stoneyfield yogurt tubes) and then give them to DD as a "popsicle." Just trying to help with other suggestions for high protein foods she could eat before bed!

Hopefully it is a very short phase and you get a full night's sleep VERY soon!

I agree with others regarding the sleep training clock. My friend uses it and she has nothing but good things to day about it. We've considered it for DS, but his early-rising days are so few and far between that we haven't really felt it was necessary.

As far as the snack goes, have you considered PediaSure or a similar drink? We were told to start giving DS those around the age of 2 due to his low weight gain, and he still loves them. We usually give him half of one in the morning and the other half after dinner due to the sugar. It does fill him up to the point where he never has really woken up hungry at night.
    Jen (34), DH (36), DS (3), Baby #2 EDD 10/21/14

Lost a loved baby 9/2012

she loves yogurt! and good idea about freezing a gogurt tube to be a popsicle! will have to get some and try that.

i am afraid to put anything in her room that plugs in, she gets into stuff a ton and thinks its ok to plug/ unplug stuff... i avoid tempting her so she does not shock herself so the clock idea may be an idea for ds if he goes back to waking up too early.... i pray he does not!

last night went much better, i gave her strawberries and cheese before bed and a sippy of milk. i also removed the siderail of her crib making it a toddler bed. she woke around 11 because she was tangled in her blanket and went right back to sleep and slept til her brother woke her up at 830 am !!!!
    she probably would of slept longer but he woke her before i had a chance to stop him.

thank you all for helping me with this one... i am hoping she continues to sleep like he did lastnight. and while i would love it if she started to nap again i think those days are behind her and i will have to come up with afternoon activities to keep both kids occupied while i get stuff done.

So glad last night went well. Even one night can refuel me if the phase isn't quite over. But crossing my fingers for you that it is and she will start sleeping better now!

it just never ends.... last night she was hard to get down, then fell out of bed at 1130 and decided that she was not going back to bed till about 230 am... its a pita to keep a 2 yr old quiet in her bed when all she wants to do is go play with her brother who thankfully slept thru all her loud screaming fits and tantrums from being told to lay down and go to sleep.

how to force my dd to nap so she can get a good nights sleep.... that is the question!

I'm sorry it only lasted one night. But hopefully she is on the right path. DD gave up her nap a few months before turning 3 (she maybe went 6 months longer than your LO) so I know it is impossible to force her. I would say just keep trying though, and hopefully some of the days she will give in. Even today I will every once in a while get a nap from DD. I think keep trying with the food, too.

What time does your DD go down at night? We had a lot of success with putting DD down a little earlier - even just moving bedtime from 8 to 7:30. It was a struggle at first, but she actually sleeps better when we get her down earlier because she doesn't get wound up with her overtired craziness. Just a thought. Hoping she works through it very soon!

Both of my boys have gone through phases of nap rejection but picked them back up again. DS1 stopped napping at 4 and DS2 is still napping, though he appears to be in one of those nap strike phases at the moment. He really loves to sleep, though, so I can't image it will last long.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Quote Originally Posted by preciousnd98 View Post

What time does your DD go down at night? We had a lot of success with putting DD down a little earlier - even just moving bedtime from 8 to 7:30. It was a struggle at first, but she actually sleeps better when we get her down earlier because she doesn't get wound up with her overtired craziness. Just a thought. Hoping she works through it very soon!
    i try to put her down at 8. but w/out the nap she gets a second wind around 6 pm (dinner time) and that is after a cranky crying hold me mommy session that happens while i am trying to make dinner.
    today she has done more whining and crying than anything else. i can tell shes overtired but shes refusing my every effort to help her get to sleep... on top of that i am tired and ds just wants my attention so he is acting out ( and pushing dd's buttons making her scream louder)
    with all the screaming and fighting my kids are doing today i think my ears are bleeding... i know i have no patience left and it is not even lunchtime yet.

at the rate i am going i am going to be in the nuthouse by friday.

Can you move her dinner time up, say to 5:30, and get her down before she gets her second wind? 8:00 sounds really late for a 2 year old who isn't napping any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Can you move her dinner time up, say to 5:30, and get her down before she gets her second wind? 8:00 sounds really late for a 2 year old who isn't napping any more.
    i can try it. she just recently dropped napping... i am at a loss on what to do with her, ds was never this difficult after dropping his naps. he stopped napping on a regular basis then stopped altogether, he didn't go thru this not sleeping at night phase when he dropped his naps. he was never a complete basket case for hours on end from being so tired either... this is all new to me.
    don't know how moving dinner is going to work for her, she does not eat anything i offer except for fruits and she will request junk food... which she does not get.

this not eating crap just adds to the crankiness of the family.

i tried it, and it was a battle. she ate fine and was ok till i finished her bedtime routine... then the tantrums, screaming and running around began. she finally fell asleep for the night around 830 only to wake at 130 am and play till 430 am. (she decided to play quietly so i was able to snooze thru some of it) she refused to give up and go back to sleep.

what gives? how can she function on so little sleep? how can she continue to be awake night after night without ever napping? its getting harder for me to function and i certainly could use a nap... and supposedly i need less sleep than her.