Thread: High Blood Sugar

Default High Blood Sugar

I have had GD with 2 of my prior pregnancies, so I know what to do for it. The last few days, I've been feeling really bad after I eat, so yesterday I started checking my sugar. I didn't check my fasting before eating breakfast. But after eating a bowl of Raisin Bran cereal, I started feeling jittery, nauseous and just all out bad. So I checked my sugar. It was 183. I checked it a few hours later and it went down to 123. Then after lunch it was 140. Then went down to 117. I was so busy last night, I forgot to check it after supper. Then this morning, I forgot my fasting check. Then I walked out and left my monitor at home. Ugh! While on my drive to work this morning, I began feeling sick again. Should I call my dr and let them know this is happening or just wait til my appt on the 21st? I'm going to call my dh to see if he can get my monitor and bring it to me.

You could call your OB to discuss, but I'm not sure what they'd do other than advise you to monitor it and adjust your eating for the GD diet.

BUT, given your past experiences I suppose it wouldn't hurt to inform them in case they connect the dots with any additional concern that could be related to anything they're doing differently for this pregnancy. That said, I am certain that your issues are "just" GD and that you're going to have to modify your diet.

I haven't had cereal since I was diagnosed with GD with DS2. It's WAY too many carbs with the cereal itself, add the milk and it's easy to believe your level was 183. Everything I've read has said to definitely keep the breakfast carb load light, and cereal and milk definitely are not light. I don't go over 30 carbs for breakfast. If I do, my 2 hour post breakfast levels are typically over 120.
    Dorcas (36) DH (37) 3/13

I've actually never felt any ill effects from high BS; I'm sorry you're feeling yucky over it but it's good that your body signaled something is wrong so that you can address it quickly!
    Dorcas (36) DH (37) 3/13

Ugh, I'm so sorry you're feeling icky !

I would call for sure just to let them know .

I agree with Dorcas though...breakfast cereal is evil, lol ! I have never had high BS issues, but felt horrible a couple weeks ago after eating a bowl of cereal and drinking a powerade so I checked my BS and it was 155...mine has only ever been over 120s once that I can member since I trend towards low BS so that was high for me and I have never had GD.

It does sound like adjusting your diet now just in case would be a good move until you can talk more specifically with your dr about it. Maybe he'll want to do the GD testing a bit earlier .

Thinking of you!
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Hopefully they'll let you do what they let me do, just monitor it and skip the tests.
    Dorcas (36) DH (37) 3/13

Cold cereal is on my list of no nos for GD. I would let your OB know what is going on. I failed my 1-hour and noticed that I feel a little nausea after I eat something sugary now that I have GD again.
    Jen (34), DH (36), DS (3), Baby #2 EDD 10/21/14

Lost a loved baby 9/2012

Did you touch base with your OB? What did they say?
    Dorcas (36) DH (37) 3/13

I didn't call my ob today but will if I get high readings again tomorrow. Dh brought my monitor to me , so I was able to check it after lunch. I had grilled chicken, green beans and a couple of small strawberries for lunch. And water to drink. 2 hours after eating, my bs was 127. Tonight after a philly steak sandwich, it was 121. So we'll just have to see what tomorrow brings. No cereal for sure! I guess I'll have to make myself eat eggs again. 😝

Hoping for good numbers tomorrow !!!!
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels