Thread: Abigail's birth story

Default Abigail's birth story

I'm wide awake and this isn't very long do here goes. (Oh and thank you all so much for the amazing support, I didn't get to read it until later but i was thinking of you ladies when i had a spare moment. )

Sunday 7/6 3:15 am, first real contractions timed at 7 mins apart for an hourish. Get up at 4:30 because I couldn't sleep anymore. Contractions all day with varying times and slightly increasing intensity. Talked to mw @ 9:30 am and we set up a plan for when to come in. Laid in bed most of the day trying to sleep and breathe.

Eventually contractions got to 5 mins apart lasting 1 mins and after 2 hours of that i was ready to go.

We got to the hospital at about 8pm and after being checked the mw was unhappy with Abby's heartbeat. No regular accelerations or variability. So they made me drink coke, which was not cool considering how I had been nauseated all day and it made me want to vomit. But of course i drank it. Her heart issues were resolved and they admitted me: 3cm, 100% effaced and -1 station.

I spent nearly my whole labor in the tub. They have me fluids because her heart issues returned. That also meant no meds for me and i confess i asked for them, I wasn't as prepared for the intensity and pain as i thought.

After probably 90 mins i was re checked and consented to membrane sweep, but not breaking of water until much later, if needed. That got me to 6 cm! And more painful contractions. I remembered a birth story from Ina May's book about a singer that she told to sing or hum during contractions. So i turned on my Billy Joel playlist and hummed through the contractions. It was wayyyy more effective at controlling the pain than belly breathing, like some of them i barely noticed.

A couple more hours and 7 cm, the midwife said hey your doing so great I'm just gong to leave you alone.

But holy crap at 7 I started to feel like i needed to push so I called her back and we got me out of the tub and broke my water. I labored the rest of the way on my left side. I stayed in a great frame of mind until my playlist ended and the music stopped. I about screamed in pain--No i definitely screamed.

Then i could feel my contractions pushing her farther down. And then all if a sudden I screamed really loud, she's coming! I had the mw and 3 nurses on me in about 3 seconds. And i pushed, on my side, maybe 5 songs worth of pushing.

Abigail Lillian was born at 2:14 am 7/7/14, weighing 8 pounds 12 ounces (Joke's on me right? ) 20 inches long with wavy black hair.

She's a very crotchety baby, screaming at everything, but we think she's pretty awesome.

Pictures to come later.

Well done momma! What perseverance! So glad you are both doing well! Can't wait for pictures.

OH MY GOODNESS! Where do I start?? NO pain meds? WOW, great job lady. I am blown away that she was almost a 9lb baby and you were so worried about that!!! Crazy how off they can be on the measurements. I am so happy for your and your family, you were patient and it paid off. You got the birth you wanted without induction. And what a wonderful birth date!! 7/7 Get some rest if you can! I didn't sleep at all in the hospital, I was too happy to sleep so I can understand that. Thank you for sharing and can't wait to see pictures!

You my friend are a rock star! Congrats and welcome to the world Abigail! I can't wait to see pictures!

Congrats on Abigail! What an inspirational birth story!

Me - Jess DH - Matt
    September 2013

Congratulations!!!!!! Welcome baby Abigail! Can't wait to see pics
    Laura (33) DH (37) x 4

Oh Natalie, I am sooooo happy for you, huge congrats and what a great birth story !!!

Welcome to the world Abigail !!

ETA...I would never have guessed anywhere near 8lbs 12oz, lol, you sure kept her well hidden momma
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Oh, that is so awesome Natalie! Congratulations!!!

Anna (36), DH (47), Little Man (4), , Little Lady (brand new!)

Stepping in to say Congrats! You did amazing by having an almost 9 pounds all natural!
    *** Lindsay ***

Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

EEEEEEK!!! Precious.

Ohhhh she is perfect!

Oh she is such a doll!! Congratulations! And amazing job with the birth!

Congrats and good job mama. She is a beauty!!!
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Such a doll!
    *** Lindsay ***

Congrats!! She's beautiful
    Jessica (34) DH (39) This is a first for both of us

Congrats! Abigail is soooo beautyfull. You've done an amazing job. Can't think of how well you did without pain medication.
    Sabrina [33], DH [33] and our precious shaka-girl

What an awesome birth story. You rock mama! And what a gorgeous baby girl!!!

Congrats! Sorry i missed this dang. You did great.

Beautiful!

She's precious! Congrats!
    Katie~
    DD1 (7) DD2 (4) DS1 (22 months) Baby #4 EDD 7/13/14

Awesome job mama!!! She's a beauty!!

Congratulations! !! I am so happy you had practically the birth you wanted, and she was born on 7/7!!!! Yay!!!! Welcome, Abbie!!!!

CONGRATS!!! Welcome Abigail!!
    Me: Heather {28}, DH: Tahee {30}, & Baby Boy: Carter {born July 2, 2014}... makes three

Congratulations Natalie! She's beautiful! Way to go mama!
    Jennifer

What a beautiful girl! Congrats Natalie! Welcome to mommy hood! Natural birth has always made me feel so empowered, I hope you feel that way too!
    waiting for our hearts to healBrittany(28)DH(39) DSD-(18) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks

Huge huge congratulations, Mama!! So happy for you!!
    Sara: 31, DH: 33. After 19 months of STC, we caught an eggie! #1 is on its way!

Make a pregnancy ticker