Thread: Help for my cousin

Question Help for my cousin

She just had her beautiful baby girl two weeks ago. I just saw her among a lot of the other family and her baby girl is nursing every two hours but, she is worried she is over producing watery milk? I was curious if I could share any words of wisdom? Is this normal? I only nursed for 3 months with Sophia only and it was a struggle throughout so.. if anyone experience moms had advice. I don't know a lot of details.
    *** Lindsay ***

I remember feeling like I was producing a ton of milk in the first month or so, and then it seemed to balance out a bit. So I'd say its normal. Congrats to her! Nursing is hard work, especially in the beginning. Tell her to hang in there and keeping trying the best she can!
    Jennifer

Quote Originally Posted by Adhafera View Post
    I remember feeling like I was producing a ton of milk in the first month or so, and then it seemed to balance out a bit. So I'd say its normal. Congrats to her! Nursing is hard work, especially in the beginning. Tell her to hang in there and keeping trying the best she can!
    Thanks!
    *** Lindsay ***

My experience is that babies nurse a LOT the first few months. My son was on the boob for hours a time all day long. So yes when they're nursing that much you will make a lot of milk. If the baby is emptying the breast she will be getting the fatty hind milk. Eventually the baby stops nursing so frequently and the milk supply regulates. I struggled so much in breast feeding my son in the beginning but we've been successfully exclusively breast feeding for almost a year now it was totally worth the struggles. And your cousin is already so lucky to have supportive family members like yourself

Both foremilk and hindmilk are important but her baby must empty Mommas milk ducts to near empty to get full hind milk benefit. For myself***** if my baby tried nursing again and it was less than an hour or had fallen asleep at the breast I would offer the same breast again to start with. ThE best analogy I have heard is foremilk is your hydration (water) and hindmilk is like meat and potatoes (fatty)
    waiting for our hearts to healBrittany(28)DH(39) DSD-(18) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks