Thread: Found a tick on my son

Default Found a tick on my son

So a huge thank you to who posted a thread about their child getting preventative abx for Lyme decease a while ago. We are visiting family in the IN/OH/KY area and spent the day at their farm. We got back to the hotel and I checked all the kids heads thanks to that thread... We'll I found one on my toddler. He has had it for probably 3-4 hours absolutely max but it already started to burrow its head. We pulled it all out and it all came out. There was no blood but the tick did pull probably the top layer of his skin, we saw almost like a patch of dry skin on the tick. What do I do now? I am so not knowledgeable about ticks, we really don't have them back home. I am googling away and seeing that Lyme is very unlikely if tick was on for less than 24 hours. And there was no blood so I am hoping he wasn't deep enough??? Should I take him to urgent care tomorrow? I am so lost and freaked out!! And thank you again to whoever posted that thread... I owe you big time!

I think you're supposed to save the tick to show the pedi. But that's about as far as my knowledge goes. So glad you found it quickly!

If too concerned - go to er with the tick. It should be fine but for the peace of your mind best to just go ahead with it.

Varya, if we were home, that's exactly what I would do. But we are in IN, won't be home for over a week, have family reunion to go to today and I don't even know where the closest ER is... I called our pedi and they dint really give me a definitely answer one way or the other..

Also.... There wasn't even a mark yesterday where we got it off and hubby seems to think he was just starting to get attached and his head wasn't burrowed just yet. It definitely was attached to the baby but just broke the skin according to hubby.

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

This is our first year living in an area that has ticks. I drilled our pedi on what and when. He said if I know it's been attached less than 24 hours-as in I'm checking regularly every evening and it wasn't there the day before-then not to worry about Lyme disease. Especially where you could tell it hadn't gotten attached well, no blood. We were told it often takes them up to 6 hours on a host to get really attached to where any transfer even starts to happen.

So I would just count yourself lucky and keep doing once or twice (or more, if the occasion allows) daily tick checks!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Good job catching it quickly! Are any of the relatives you're visiting with medical professionals, maybe they can help you.
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

Thanks all!

Thank you, Tif, that was VERY helpful! The absolute longest the tick was on him was 4 hours. We arrived to the party at five and found the tick at nine. We weren't in the wooded area until closer to 6 so 2-3 hours is more realistic. We were on the plane from home before that I still can't find any marks on his head so I will wait until Monday and call to talk to our actual pediatrician not the on call nurse and see what they recommend but I am leaning towards us being fine. This was just crazy because we haven't even been here for 24 hours! We have no experience with ticks! And my kids didn't even know what they were until yesterday. And I am so thankful I read threads on ticks on here and my hubby recommended to check them too. So lucky!

Hugs. I'm sure you are fine. Hope you get more positive answers on Monday! !

We have literally pulled a dozen or more ticks off our kiddos since we moved to southern MI 2.5yrs ago and have brushed off *dozens* more that weren't attached !

I took dd to the pedi the first time and she said to put triple antibiotic ointment on it, but unless she develops localized irritation or a rash there's nothing they do for it. She mostly just emphasized prevention (long sleeves/pants, DEET bug spray, and nightly tick checks).

One time dd did develop a suspicious rash and the pedi tested for lyme's but she went on to develop cold symptoms...it was just a virus.

The ticks around here are American Dog Ticks which are not known for carrying Lyme's but they do carry Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and Tularemia so we watch for those types of symptoms. That's one reason it is important to identify the type of tick...so you know what symptoms to look for and in what time frame .

I do put neosporin on the bite after we remove the tick so that's something simple you could do until you talk to the pedi on Monday.
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Kelly we do have the tick but I don't know which one it is. I tried putting neosporin on it but I can't find the exact spot since there isn't a mark

the deer ticks that carry lyme disease are very small, dog ticks are bigger. can you try to identify it from photos online?

I think the fact that you can't find a mark, and it was there just a short time means you shouldnt worry about it.

This one isn't very small. I looked at so many photos online but I just can't tell the difference when I look at it. I read deer ticks are like apple seeds and dog ticks are like watermelon seeds. Well, this one is of course just a touch bigger than an apple seed but smaller than a watermelon seed...

That's not the best guide since we've pulled dog ticks off the kids that were teeny tiny...looked like a freckle and some that were a bit bigger than the average watermelon seed. It all depends on where they're at in their development.

IMO, dog ticks look like wood...the "cape" is light in color and kind of blends in with the back which has variations like wood grain. Deer ticks (which I've only seen on animals) have a black "cape" and an amber-colored body. I've never seen other types of ticks IRL.

Can you snap a pic and post it?

If you can't find the bite, don't worry about the ointment...it's just a precaution and it sounds like the tick was in very shallow .
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

I can snap a picture when we get back into the hotel! I am sort of calm about it because we caught it quickly but I really hate that this happened to my little baby!

I also think you are safe since you caught it so quickly. Just watch for any unusual rashes or flu like symptoms.

I don't think you need to worry about Lyme. Just in the last couple of weeks, I've picked two attached ticks off DD, and two off myself. And have dealt with dozens over the years. Read up on possible tick-borne diseases and symptoms, and keep an eye on it. While Lyme is unlikely, it is possible (not highly probable) that you may have to deal with some other tick borne disease.

Thanks! Yes, I read about other tick diseases and will keep an eye out. I am just hoping that since it hasn't been on for too long, nothihg has quite reached baby's bloodstream... I looked at the tick and it isn't black. He has almost like a leopard pattern (????) and it's rather small, smaller than the apple seed but it may be smaller today because it has been dead for almost 24 hours.

OMG.... I found a tick in the car today crawling on our door and we just got one off my daughter - same thing as baby... Came right out, no blood but can you guys believe this?

so glad to live in an area with no ticks!

Yes.... We are visiting IN and are leaving tomorrow, thank goodness!

Crazy! Yuck. They are such vile creatures!