Thread: A question for moms of boys...

Default A question for moms of boys...

Hey ladies, my son is having an issue and I'd like your thoughts, please! In the last week or so he has woken up in the morning maybe four times with blisters on the head of his penis. He is circumcised (please no arguments about this), and cloth diapered if it matters. He's nearly 21 months old and sleeps through the night. The blisters look fluid filled, and are almost always gone by the afternoon. Sometimes they seem to have popped, others just go away. I've been making sure he's very clean after each diaper change and putting coconut oil on him regularly as well. It doesn't seem to be sore or bother him at all. I've Googled this and my searching seems to point to it just being from friction from rubbing on his diaper. This seems to make sense since the blisters are kind of on the edges where I'd imagine it rubs the most. He had this happen once a few months ago and I took him to the pedi then. She didn't really know what it was and gave me some antibiotic cream, which didn't seem to help and it cleared up on its own, so I'm hesitant to take him back. My experience with military doctors is that if its not something obvious, they dont have a clue and don't care to try to figure it out, ugh. Anyways, I'm glad it doesn't bother him at all, but I just wish I could figure out why this is happening all of a sudden and how to prevent it. Has anyone else experienced this with their boys? Help! Thanks.

Hmm...after posting this I was thinking about it and realized that around the time this started happening, I changed what I was stuffing his overnight diaper with. Will have to experiment with that.
    Last edited by Adhafera; 06-30-2014 at 11:44 PM.
    Jennifer

I have three boys, but I've never had this happen. Sorry I'm no help!

Both of my boys are circ and cloth diapered. I haven't had this happen but it does sound a lot like friction or sitting too long in a wet diaper and his skin getting sensitive to that. Does he sleep on his stomach? As a test run could you overnight him in some disposables for a while and see if it gets worse or clears up.

I saw this. Maybe its a type of diaper rash.http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/000964.htm

I was going to say make sure his diapers are rinsed really well, maybe it is a chemical burn from something left behind, but it's possible and even likely it's cause by the change in diaper material. Have you been using coconut oil all along/ could he be allergic to that?

I have 2 boys, but have not experienced this exactly......random thought here though. My DS2 just got over hand, foot, mouth virus. It causes red spots and blisters on any of these areas: mouth (inside and out), Palm of hands, around the feet, and in the diaper area. DS had some blisters around his bottom and back of throat. It's a virus that has been around (ds1 had it 2 years ago) but our Pedi said it is really bad this year! Not so much the strength of it but just the spreading of it. Again, like I said, just a random thought!!!! (And please do not let google images scare the H out of you, my children only ever had a few spots and blisters, acted totally normal, and had no clue anything was wrong )
    waiting for our hearts to healBrittany(28)DH(39) DSD-(18) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks

If it is reoccurring I would take him in for some kind of a swab to exclude bacteria or hpv virus. I only have a 5 day old boy but a friend dealt with some bacterial infection and a form of hpv. Also antibiotic cream shouldn't be prescribed without confirming it is a bacteria. And if it is a virus antibiotic cream won't help. I hope it is just a friction and nothing serious. Hugs

Thanks ladies! I wrote a long response to you all the other day but it seems to have been deleted with the issues the board was having. Anyways, thank you all for your ideas! Its doesn't seem to be a rash at all, nor a chemical burn. His diapers are all very thoroughly rinsed, and the coconut oil is not a new thing. Definitely not HFM. Been there, done that twice (once was the worst case his pedi had ever seen, she even went to get more doctors to show them, ugh.) and I have my own horrid photos to prove it. Poor kid was miserable and it took nearly a month for the sores to heal, but the scars took a while longer to fade. So yeah, I know what that looks like and this isn't it. Thanks though, it was a good thought. I don't believe its an infection, its not red or swollen or sore. As for the cream I never really used it, and as previously stated military doctors are useless and won't do much of anything.

All that said, since I posted this four days ago, I've been using my old method for overnight diapers and he's all cleared up and no new blisters. So it seems the flats I was stuffing his pocket diapers with must have been sliding around in there and causing friction. Strange I didn't put two and two together for so many days until I sat down and wrote my op. Oh well. Thanks so much for all of your help ladies! I really really appreciate it!
    Jennifer

I'm glad he is getting better and you figured it out!!!!

Thanks Varya! I'm happy too!
    Jennifer