Thread: only two (not three) umbilical artery questions

Default only two (not three) umbilical artery questions

Hey ladies. My sister had her gender/anatomy scan today. The tech could only locate 2 not 3 arteries in the umbilical cord. There were no other abnormalities present with the baby or mommy. And everything looks great. Her genetic scans came back great too. From what I've been reading it appears that it could just cause growth issues towards the end. This is her first and she was hoping to avoid a c-section if possible. She's is ok with an induction and wants an epi and stuff. But really wants to go to term and go into labor on her own. I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this or if they have heard of some good outcomes. She's soo nervous now about the growth of this baby. Though her OB isn't concerned.

Brenda

Hey, I'm popping in because I had a SUA (single umbilical artery) with my 2nd son. My OB wasn't overly concerned, but he did order a couple of extra ultrasounds in the 3rd tri to check growth. They also did a quick kidney ultrasound in the hospital the day after my DS was born because of the SUA. I can't remember what exactly the connection was, but there's something about having only one artery that put him at higher risk for kidney problems.
    Anyway, everything proceeded great through my pregnancy and delivery with no issues. I went into labor naturally at 36 weeks 5 days, and he was 6'7", so a good size for that gestation. He's 3 1/2 now, and he's been healthy and happy ever since!

Awww, I'm sorry something came up on the A/S for her ...no experience, but praying for a healthy outcome !!!
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Quote Originally Posted by LaurainFL View Post
    Hey, I'm popping in because I had a SUA (single umbilical artery) with my 2nd son. My OB wasn't overly concerned, but he did order a couple of extra ultrasounds in the 3rd tri to check growth. They also did a quick kidney ultrasound in the hospital the day after my DS was born because of the SUA. I can't remember what exactly the connection was, but there's something about having only one artery that put him at higher risk for kidney problems.
    Anyway, everything proceeded great through my pregnancy and delivery with no issues. I went into labor naturally at 36 weeks 5 days, and he was 6'7", so a good size for that gestation. He's 3 1/2 now, and he's been healthy and happy ever since!
    Thank you. I will share your story with her. She is already nervous about loosing this baby so this was one other thing that she has to worry about.

Thanks Kelly. The prayers are much appreciated.

My twin girl had a single umbilical artery. She's just fine. It happens sometimes. With no other abnormalities detected, the baby's probably fine, too.

Oh, and yes, if my girl had been a singleton, it would have meant more ultrasounds to monitor growth than normal, but since they were twins, we were doing those scans, anyway. And at about 7wks, she had to have an ultrasound of her renal arteries to be sure everything was okay.

I wanted to weigh in as well. I had my 3rd in January and she was diagnosed with SUA at the mid-point anatomy scan. Everything else looked perfectly normal and we had also had the panoramic testing done which came back normal. They did require me to have monthly growth scans which I actually stretched out to every 5-6 weeks until she was born. She was always on track and was born at 8 lbs 10 oz, my largest baby by far! I doubt whether she even had the SUA, although it did look pretty clear on the U/S I had. Anyway, she is perfect. I also had my second VBAC with her this time with absolutely no complications, it was a smooth and pretty easy labor/birth.
    Last edited by sgodwin; 07-09-2014 at 09:28 AM.
    3/2013

Thanks everyone for the stories. It has helped her to calm down

I'm so glad feeling better about it all...praying her pg is uneventful !!
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Great success stories to share!! I have no experience with it, but I'm glad others have and were able to share their stories and comfort your sister!!
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13