Thread: Hospital Bag

Default Hospital Bag

I know I have a while, but I'm slowly making a list of what I need to pack. So my questions are:
    What are you packing?
    Is it silly for me to bring my Boppy to nurse?
    Are you going to use the hospital binkies ( if your choosing to use a binkie ) or will you bring your own?
    Thanks ladies :-)

Sorry I'm no use. Here they give you everything. It used to be expensive but now cheap. We still packed all our a just in case.

As annoying as it is to bring the boppy, I did both times. It's just helpful.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Hi. I just recently put together mine and baby's bag. There is a list somewhere on here that someone else has put together and several YouTube videos that I referenced but I cameacross sseveral videos of people saying they over packed and I don't want it to feel as though I am moving in so one bit of advice I found helpful was asking the hospital what they provide (each one is a little different) and that helped with my final decisions - including that I am pretty much leaving the baby bag in the car til we are ready to go. They provide everything for the baby so I don't want to use my own supplies and clothes until we are leaving. That bag tho is packed with everything i will carry in the diaper bag normally except with a few extra outfit options as i dont know what will be fitting the first time. But to answer ur questions:
    I did pack binkies tho. I'm also intending on bring my pregnancy pillow which can double as a nursing pillow.

In my bag I have:
    3 change of clothes (maxi dress, & 2 tanks aand loose sweat pants) Idk what is going to be comfortable or how long I'll be there post delivery.

I did bring my own underwear but I intend to use the hospitals just to protect mine a little longer.
    Socks.
    Flip flops (that I am wearing in).
    I'm bringing in the straps that go around the belly - but that's just BC I have them from going to NST visits.
    I also have a small toiletry bag with travel size:
    shampoo
    conditioner
    body wash
    loofah
    toothpaste
    tooth brush
    hair brush and
    deoderant.
    I don't really intend to use the shampoo and conditioner but its small and fits and just in case....
    I also have a nursing bra and a sports bra and the little leak pads.
    Carmex!
    And I'm bringing a small bag of make up also.
    Oh! And my glasses and contact case with extra solution.

Then other wise I'll have two phone chargers and laptop. I'm being induced in the evening so I'm preparing myself for some downtime.... Also some bottled water and snacks. I know the hoapital has them available but Im still bringing them.

anyway, I hope my list can help you. Oh and this is my first time so Idk yet how complete or incomplete my list maybe. I can let u know after I get back though! ;)

I'm a pretty light packer. So far I have
    Nursing cami
    Comfy shorts
    Nursing bra
    Change of clothes for me
    NB outfit for baby
    0/3m outfit for baby
    Light blanket
    Toothbrush/toothpaste
    Shampoo/soap
    Deoderant
    Change of clothes for hubby

I only started packing today. What I really need to do is make a list of stuff to throw in at last minute like my phone charger, hairbrush, and all things that I may not remember if I'm in a big hurry.

I need to get to packing, even tho I still have a little while... I need to remember to take a binky just in case. My hospital does not give the babies binkies, only during circumcision or only if they're sick. I'm going to try and stay away from the binky thing, but I need a backup...

You guys lists have been very helpful!!!!! Thanks
    Jessica (34) DH (39) This is a first for both of us

Let's see what's in my bag--probably too much but I like to have options.

Baby:
    2 outfits, different sizes
    A light blanket
    A blanket I made, for picture time
    Some burp cloths
    2 kinds of pacifiers, just in case she doesn't like one kind

Me:
    My pillow--could double as a nursing pillow if needed
    Socks with grippy bottoms, I don't like flip flops (but I'll have sandals just in case they have a "you must wear shoes" policy)
    2 pairs pjs with button tops
    Nursing tank and nursing bra
    Nursing pads
    A comfy knee-length skirt to wear after delivery because you get checked so much (that's what I read anyway)
    A going home outfit
    A top to wear in pictures (they have a photography service at the hospital)
    toiletries
    phone charger
    kindle (I need to get a new book)
    some old undies I don't care if they get ruined
    electrolyte drinks and snacks

My DH packed his own bag. So who knows what's in there.
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

CHAP STICK / CARMEX!!! That is certainly a MUST HAVE!!
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Quote Originally Posted by khadijavye View Post
    CHAP STICK / CARMEX!!! That is certainly a MUST HAVE!!
    I've read that in other places too--but my question is this: is it something that you use on a regular basis anyway or just in this case? I don't use any kind of makeup or chap stick in general so I don't even have some to pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Geneari View Post
    I've read that in other places too--but my question is this: is it something that you use on a regular basis anyway or just in this case? I don't use any kind of makeup or chap stick in general so I don't even have some to pack.
    Good question. No, I don't typically use chap stick or Carmex other than when I've chapped my lips. It's not a constant in my life but OMG I have to have it in the hospital. I totally chapped myself raw with both deliveries.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Guess I'll get some. Just thinking about dry, cold, antiseptic air--I get it now.

I really think the only thing I'll bring for baby, clothes wise, is her going home outfit. From past experience, they usually like babies in the side snap shirt so they can exam and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I really think the only thing I'll bring for baby, clothes wise, is her going home outfit. From past experience, they usually like babies in the side snap shirt so they can exam and stuff.
    Yeah I don't take the baby out of the hospital clothes until we go home.

Ok, so when should I pack it?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Ok, so when should I pack it?
    Stepping in to say I would pack everything 3-4 weeks before your baby is due with the exception of a camera if you take pictures on a lot then, wait on that but, have it close to your bed at night. I say 3-4 weeks before your due because sometimes (not always) but, sometimes the doctor's will not stop labor after 36-37 weeks.

Ok, I've got 8 weeks till I'm due. I'm just now getting to all the laundry. I'm just nesting really bad. I didn't get to find out the gender till about a week ago, so I still need to do some shopping. I just wanna be ready..lol

I would pack now! Just have that bag ready so one less thing to worry about.

I'll probably start packing tomorrow. Thanks ladies. Even tho this is my 3rd baby, I don't remember the whole bag packing business..

The main things I plan on bringing this time are comfy clothes and nursing tanks, a couple outfits for baby to come home in and the blanket I want for newborn pictures. Also, a knit cap/beanie. I don't really like the ones the hospital uses so I bring my own.

Otherwise I'll bring baby wipes since our hospital doesn't provide them.

I think that's it besides phone charger, tooth brush/shampoo type stuff and a cheap pair of slippers that I will leave at the hospital because I don't like walking barefoot but don't want to bring them home either. lol.

I personally try to bring as little as possible because hospitals disgust me. I worked in one and know how dirty they really are and I like as little as possible of my personal items there. I also don't bring much home, like the extra diapers they throw out if you don't take them.....I leave them. I just have major germ issues.
    Mother to seven flying, called home too soon.

Oh and we used the Soothie brand pacifiers that the hospital provided because she was in the NICU and that's what they gave her. So we did use the ones provided and will again this time if baby takes a pacifier.
    Mother to seven flying, called home too soon.