Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cancer in an infant

Sorry its been so long since I updated.. Things have been Really busy here. We went to the dr again last week.( we have been a few times since I last updated) and her tumor still hasnt grown any but it also hasnt shrunk :-/ but we are glsd it hasnt grown! They are just watching it still right now and doing ultrasounds,blood work, and urine tests to monitor it.. We are just so ready for it to be out tho! She haa been having appointmenta ever 2 or 3 weeks and they are waiting 6 weeks this time even tho some of her lymph nodes around it are enlarged.(which worries me) I know I'm going to be so ready for the end of september so we can check her again..
    But the good news is she has finally started gaining more weight! And she is still very alert just like always but she has been sleeping more which worries me but i just have to put it in Gods hands.. She is a very happy baby though and learing everything right at the times she should be if not before
    Me(20) DH (20) DD #1 5/6/14
    4/13 & 5/13

I responded once to this post, but it didn't seem to take.

If you ever want to talk -- I'm available. My first born was diagnosed with a form of cancer as an infant. He had surgery at 3 1/2 months that was life threatening (had cysts that had taken over his chest cavity and had 1/3 of his one lung removed), and from there was diagnosed with pleuropulmonary blastoma. We went through several surgeries for port placements and removals after that and went through chemotherapy for almost a year. Its a tough road, but you'll get through it!! Feel free to PM me and chat about things. Its so scary, but you'll do great, and so will she!!!

You're doing great Kaylee! Thinking of your little girl and praying for good news in September.

Hi, I'm sorry you and your baby are going through this! Just wondering why they are waiting to remove a cancerous tumor?!??!! Seems crazy to me!

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinpeejays View Post
    Hi, I'm sorry you and your baby are going through this! Just wondering why they are waiting to remove a cancerous tumor?!??!! Seems crazy to me!
    Because, as the OP mentioned earlier, sometimes this particular type of cancerous tumor will spontaneously resolve itself without surgery. Not always, but often enough that the doctors need to weigh the risks and benefits of surgery to an infant, vs. the chance that the surgery will be unnecessary. I'm certain the OP is doing everything she can for her child, and so are the doctors.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 08-12-2014 at 01:29 PM.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Yes we really REALLY want it out.. But like Gwenn said,since she is so little they want to see if it will go away on it's own since it isn't growing right now.. But they told us if it starts growing they will remove it, or if the things they are testing her urine and blood for start going up then they will remove it even if it hasn't grown and then also if it hasn't shrunk of grown or anything and is still there in a year they will remove it.. But yes I honestly hate the waiting and it being there :-/ but she is going to cooks childrens hospital in ft.worth which is suppose to one of the best hospitals in this part of the US for her type of cancer but we are praying about getting a second opinion..
    Me(20) DH (20) DD #1 5/6/14
    4/13 & 5/13