Thread: Eric's birth story

Hybrid View

Default Eric's birth story

We had dd2 birthday dinner and I kept eating and craving caffeine. Around 11pm I told dh how awesome caramel latte would be but starbucks was already closed.
    I had insomnia and ate 1/4 of the watermelon close to midnight. Around 12.30 I went to sleep.but ended up.zapping midges in the bed till after 1. I was uncomfortable and had very loose bms
    Finally I slept and walk up shortly after 2 with a very intense contraction. They started coming every 8-11min. Plus couple more loose bms. So I woke dh up.
    Some time after 3 I has a bloody show and I.walk. dh up completely saying it is time. Contrix shifted to 6-9 min apart. A friend's husband drove from nearby area to take me to the hospital. It was not fun to have a contraction on a bumpy road!
    Another friend and her husband waited already at the hospital. I.was checked but no progress so I was sent to another floor to evaluate and prep got c/s. It was past 4.
    After collecting few blood samples and a urine sample, I walked back and my water broke. No one tells you it is like having baby oil running down your legs - slimy and odourless. I was hooked to ivs and given some painful injection. Then sent for monitoring. During monitoring I had 2 doctors check me internally thrice. No progress. Contrix went to every 10-15 min.
    At 7.20 I was wheeled out to the surgery and prepped. 2 surgeons performed the c-section. It took sometime to get my spinal in and after that I started feeling dizzy and nauseated. The gave oxygen. And I passed out shortly. I remember opening my eyes few times and they showed me the baby. Then I was being moved and I woke up.
    Eric was born at 7.51. He didn't cry. He is very quiet. I put him on the breast first and he latched well but since I have to lay down without movement for 6 hours I couldn't nurse him properly and he later had a formula. He had his 1st bm.
    I may be able to start walking tonight! And they would give me a sponge bath which they never did before. My room is like a hotel with a stove, a microwave and a fridge. Dining and bedroom.
    So far so good and girls are able to come over!!!
    Sorry it is long. But seems 3 babies - 3 totally different experience in the same hospital.

Awww, I am so happy for you Varya !! I hope bfing goes well and recovery is quick :!
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Thanks so much! I'm actually having a very easy day. Tomorrow more stuff will be added like learning back to walk lol

Congratulations! I hope you have a speedy recovery and are home soon! Enjoy the sleepy newborn stage, I loved every minute of it even though it was tough moving around after the c-section. I already miss it and Owen is only 5 weeks old!

Congratulations again! I hope you have a fast and easy recovery!
    Jennifer

Thank you! I stated moving around and eating some food. Friends are awesome - they arranged to bring meals for us so we have plenty of food for now and later. Hospitasl here don't serve food. It is at times excruciating to move but doable.
    Eric has been having some tummy issues today. But It's ok now

Awe how awesome. I have heard that if you go into labor naturally with a planned C its best. Unless some serious issue that needs to be addressed before labor. That's so funny you have an awesome hotel/hospital room but no food service. I would feel bad for ladirs who don't have people to bring them food. How long do you have to stay....

Hoping recovery is smooth and Eric's tummy issues clear up. And bf goes well.

Why did you have to lay down with no movement for 6 hours? Is that standard c/s practice there?
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Yes. From the time they wheel you out you have some sandbag kind of stuff on your abdomen and during those hours a nurse comes in and does weird painful massageon your belly to ensure your uterus starts expressing blood. They also don't let you walk first 24 hours.

Congratulations! So sorry I missed it. I was moving and without internet for almost a week. Can't wait to see pics.
    Dayna (37) DH (38) DD (6) DS1 (3) DS2 3-31-14

I did get the massages, though. I think I was probably up and walking before 24 hours, but I cannot be sure. I'll definitely pay attention to those things this time.

How long was your stay in the hospital?
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

With DS2 they bugged me from the moment I was wheeled into post op about whether or not I could feel my legs yet and if I could move them. I don't recall how long all of that took, but no one discouraged movement. Interesting how differently a c/s is handled in different countries.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Thank you, Dayna!
    Dorcas, I left on 4th day but normally have to leave on 5th.
    In Russia you have to stay 10 days and no one is allowed to visit you inside the maternity ward - you have to see your family and visitors at certain hours and in designated areas. In China generally children are not allowed into maternity but where we stayed rules were somehow different. But everyone else can come any time to your room.

With my first i was in the hospital for 5 days. It was an unplanned c/s and I lost a lot of blood due to a tear. With my 2nd I was out of the hospital in just a little over 48 hours from the time I checked in. Definitely much happier with the 2nd experience!!
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Oh wow, sorry to hear about 1st experience! Mine also wasn't a comfortable one - I was in pain for 6 months. Recovery with 2nd and now 3rd is much much better.

I missed it! Sorry! Sounds like it overall went well! Congratulations on #3!!!!!!! Very exciting! What was wrong with Erics tummy....just gassy or something? I hope breastfeeding is getting easier. Congrats again!
    waiting for our hearts to healBrittany(28)DH(39) DSD-(18) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks

I'm so out of the loop! Congrats!!

Thank you both!
    It seems he has gas and colic😨😨😨 we switched from giving him some formula at the hospital to 100% bm. So I think it is an adjustment and also I have to watch what I eat. Last night he gave us 3h stretches which was awesome as compared to 2 days of nursing every 40-60 min, losing the boob every 2 min and crying a lot. He is quite tiny - even dd1 who was born with same weight was in bigger clothes. He is still in nb.

Porter wore newborn for the first month and he was 8lbs 3oz at birth. I'm sorry he's colicky it's rough! Porter is finally growing out of it

Sorry about the gas/colic.
    Dayna (37) DH (38) DD (6) DS1 (3) DS2 3-31-14

Thank you. It can be rough for poor babies! And moms too.

Congrats!

Elizabeth - 4/30/14

Oh my god, Varya, I'm so sorry I totally missed your thread. I was only in July-Sept-Room every time I found some minutes to check here.
    Congrats to your boy. Hope you're home by now and all the tummy problems are solved!
    Sabrina [33], DH [33] and our precious shaka-girl

Thank you ladies.
    He is still gassy - both my girls had this problem too before they turned 3 months. So we are on gripe water and some tummy massages.

How are you and Eric doing? How is your recovery coming along?
    Me: Heather {28}, DH: Tahee {30}, & Baby Boy: Carter {born July 2, 2014}... makes three

Thank you! We are alright. I am "mobile" and generally ok but have some joints ache and scar of course is tender. Eric is growing. He still has colic and gas no matter what I eat or drink so I just give him gripe water and massages. He is very alert for 2 weeks old and follows the voices and us with his eyes (though of course not much focus yet).