Thread: Owen's Birth Story

Default Owen's Birth Story

It took me a while to tell my story because it still makes me emotional whenever I talk about it. I'm just so thankful my little man arrived safely, he is an absolute joy.

Contractions began at 4am on Friday May 23rd. They felt like menstrual cramps but were occurring at 3 to 5 minute intervals. I waited it out at home and told my DH to go to work in case they fizzled out again as they did earlier in the week. I showered, I ate, I tried to sleep, but they kept me awake and I could not lie down without intense pain. Finally after hours of consistent contractions at 2 to 3 minutes apart I called my nurse, who promptly told me to go to the L & D, although I didnít think they were painful enough to be very productive. We arrived at 2:30pm and I was only 2.5 cm dilated and barely effaced enough to measure! The nurse said there was no doubt I was in labor, to go home and wait it out a few hours. By the time I got home the contractions were much more intense (which I assume was from the cervix check?). I labored on the exercise ball and holding onto my DH throughout the afternoon. I finally got to the point where I was yelling through each contraction, but I refused to get in the car because I knew how much more painful they would be if I sat down lol. Finally, we jumped in the car.
    I was admitted at 9:30pm and was only 4 cm dilated and 90% effaced! The nurse said the intense contractions were from my cervix thinning so quickly. After over an hour of worsening contractions with absolutely no progress. I decided to get the epi. The lights went out and DH and I tried to get some rest. About an hour later three nurses ran in my room, flipped on all the lights, and tried to shift me and the monitors Ė my babyís heart rate had dropped to the 60s during a contraction. It came back up, but an hour or so later it happened again, and this time 4 nurses and my Ob rushed in. One nurse shook my babyís head trying to get his heart rate back up, which was a terrifying couple of minutes. Once his heart rate came back, my Ob told us it was time to talk c-section. I still hadnít progressed past 4cm and my baby probably couldnít tolerate Pitocin at this point. She decided to give me more time, but said if his heart rate dropped again I would be rushed to surgery.
    At 4am my babyís heart rate dropped again to the 60s and this time 7 people ran into my room. It was absolutely terrifying. They flipped me on my back, finally got his heart rate back up, and literally ran me down the hall into surgery. I have never been so scared in my life; I was so incredibly worried about losing my baby at this point that I couldnít stop shaking. Two nurses held my hand while my DH gowned up, and within minutes he was standing next to me. Two doctors from NICU were also in the room in case my baby went into distress. A few minutes later I heard the room cheer, and I heard my perfectly healthy baby boy loud and clear! The NICU doctors looked him over and handed him to my DH, who brought him over to me so I could finally meet him. Owen was born on May 25th at 4:35am, measuring 20.5 inches long and weighing 7 lbs. 1.6 oz.

2014-05-29_11.22.54.jpg
    20140524_044622.jpg
    20140530_121746 small.jpg
    20140624_132016 small.jpg
    20140624_190406 small.jpg

Mel (39) DH (37) Finally, a baby boy after 12 months of TTC!
    April 2013 http://www.saferpills.org/

CONGRATS!!!!!!
    Me: Heather {28}, DH: Tahee {30}, & Baby Boy: Carter {born July 2, 2014}... makes three

Oh Melissa he is just beautiful !!!!!!!

what a terrifying experience, but I am so glad you are both safe and on this side of it all!!
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

I am glad that all was fine even after such an ordeal! He is precious! How are you both doing now?

I'm glad things turned out very well and that he came safely. The exact same thing happened to me!

Elizabeth - 4/30/14

Congratulations Mel! He's adorable! I'm sorry you had to go through all of that, but I'm so glad everything worked out ok in the end!
    Jennifer

So glad he arrived safely, that's all that matters! Congrats!