Thread: Humiliating tantrum!

Default Humiliating tantrum!

I figured you guys would appreciate how humiliating this was....

Monday night was my mom's retirement party thrown by her co-workers (she is a teacher). I did NOT want to make a speech but I knew it would mean a lot to my mom if I said something so I planned a small speech. DD1 wrote a little speech too and read it, DD2 said congrats over the microphone. So I hand the mic to DD3 so she could say something cute like "hi grammie" or something. Well, that was the dumbest move in history because of course she didn't really know what it was so she wanted to grab it and just play with it. So now I am trying to wrestle it from her and she is flipping out yelling no and pulling on it. We are ALL dressed up and this is in front of NINETY people! Finally I get the mic and she FLIPS out and throws a major screaming tantrum which is all amplified by the microphone. It was probably one of the most, if not THE most humiliating experiences of my life!

I know no one was thinking anything bad but a public tantrum is bad enough much less at a formal event in front of 90 people over a microphone!

Supposedly people said I handled it gracefully. I really have no idea I think I blocked it all out lol. Meanwhile it totally threw me off because DH had to take her out of the room and I was frazzled and also needed him for part of my speech! Ugh, it was 3 days ago and I still get embarrassed when I think about it!

She is lucky she is cute lol! Oy....
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

Oh no! I would not have been able to handle it gracefully - I feel like I completely lose it when my kids do!

From my own experience, I am sure it was 1000% times worse for you than it was for any of the people there. They are all experienced working with kids so they know how unpredictable they are. I hope the rest of the evening went well, and that this didn't ruin the night for you!

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

No experience to that degree but, Cody is a huge tattle tale and he decided the times of all times with my Grandparents to tell them how Sophia has hit him the in head. I was embarrassed but, the sort of laughed about it. My stepmother told him after I told him to stop she said "Well.. now Cody I am very sure that you've also hit Sophia at some point, right?" "So lets not tattle on each other". I know that is an inch of embarrassment. If I were you I am not going to lie I probably would have started crying lame I know. The important thing though is most everyone one of those 90 people probably had children or grown children at some point. Kids do things at the worst times it happens I think you did well with staying calm.
    *** Lindsay ***

Oh nooooo! Im sure it was far worse in your mind than for anyone else. Kids throw fits, i'm sure everyone there realizes that, no need to feel embarrassed.

I am still giggling ... I agree that it is usually worse in our minds than for the other people.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

I cringed just reading that. It's like something that would happen in a comedy movie. I'm so sorry - I'm sure it seemed much worse to you than it did to the audience.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Oh goodness! I agree, I'm sure it seemed much worse to you than it did to the people in the audience. Plus people understand that she's a toddler, and that's what they do. That said when DS through a fit in the library last week because I wouldnt let him use the computer (he's not even 2 yet, and doesn't know how), and everyone turned to look, it was pretty embarrassing for me. I'm sure the people didnt think much of it after I left though. It happens to the best of us.
    Jennifer

Well, they were all teachers and have seen tons of it! Some probably thought - good luck, grandma! Lol I am really just kidding to make you smile. Huge hugs. We've had similar situation as well and yes, it is SO embarrassing but nothing really you can do about it. your kiddo will probably be teased in the future about this tantrum so there is your pay back

Thanks for the reassurance. And yes it was totally funny....to others. I still have a hard time finding it funny but I am sure I will at some point....maybe! I still cringe just thinking about it. And it was probably even worse for my mom because it was her party and she was already uncomfortable being the center of attention, it was her granddaughter so slightly less embarrassing than being your own kid but not by much and she must have felt awful for me which makes her feel awful so she got a triple whammy. I was just mortified and seriously frozen like I really didn't know what to do and wanted time to just stop so I could assess the situation and handle it appropriately lol. Thinking back I SOOOOOOO wish I would have made light of it and made some silly witty comment like, "she is my overachiever mastering the terrible twos early" or something funny but I could not even think straight.

The irony was that my little speech was a funny thing about how my mom will have all this time on her hands to babysit now lol. I made a calendar out of oaktag and said DH and I helped to fill it in for her and it said babysit on every square haha. I did that for each month and then in September said she would go beg for her job back and that was finally when DH came back in with DD3 and said, "see you sure will" so it turned out to work with the theme but omg....I really want to just edit that part out of the night! I proceeded to drink a lot of wine after that
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)