Thread: What would you do?

Default What would you do?

My grandparents gave a brand new un opened case of baby food jars, earths best bananas. Nathan is pretty happy with table food, but he'd still eat them, especially of I mixed it into his oatmeal. I looked at it this morning and saw that it expired last month.

I hate wasting food, but obviously don't want to give him something that will make him sick. I've heard so much lately that expiration dates aren't really accurate anyway and its only about 3 weeks past the date. What would you do? Am I crazy for even thinking about feeding it to him? Am I crazy for thinking about throwing it out?
    Angela (28) DH, Pat (30) DS Connor (4), DS Leo (2), DS Nathan

I will be 100% honest and tell you that I would pitch it because I am a freak about expiration dates. But I will also admit that I am certain I have thrown away far too much food that was perfectly okay because of my issues with those dates...

Maybe open one and see if it tastes/smells okay?

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

Blog Entries

Have you thought about seeing if you can return it where your grandparents bought it (assuming they bought it expired)?

I would just smell/taste them before I gave them to him. I am not a big stickler on expiration dates, though, and rely much more on how the stuff looks and smells. Expiration dates are just how long the company has data to support that it is still good.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My blog about MCAD

I haaaaate wasting food but I think I would be nervous to feed it to a kid. If it were something I would eat I would just eat it myself lol! But I would not eat that!

I might try to find some recipes and cook with it but usually I don't take a chance with my kids.
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

i would use it. jarred (and canned) food is OK to use for years past the best by date.

But i would probably just make banana bread with it use it all up quickly.

Jarred/canned food in good condition--like no safety seals broken or dents or for jars there is no bump in the lid (indicated bacterial growth inside)--are fine to use like PP said. Other unsealed things I wouldn't use past their date though.

Trying to exchange it isn't a bad idea though you can't really prove when it was purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by runningmomofmany View Post
    But i would probably just make banana bread with it use it all up quickly.
    this... i have a few unused jars from when dd was a baby and i am thinking bread is a good idea

Thanks for all the input. I'm usually super strict and throw stuff out, but DH is the complete opposite, and it's starting to break down my feelings. The banana bread is a good idea. I'd like to try that. Anyone have a good recipe, I've never made it before, hahaha!
    Angela (28) DH, Pat (30) DS Connor (4), DS Leo (2), DS Nathan

Its so hard to know what to believe on dates I also hate pitching stuff but, like you I am nervous when it comes to kids. I would probably pitch it but, I worry more about the dates.
    *** Lindsay ***