Thread: NBs and convertible car seats

Default NBs and convertible car seats

I was given a second hand bucket seat and was told that it was fine/good/safe/what have you--but when we went to install it in my husband's car we realized something was not right about it. The seat and base didn't totally click together (I probably could have also figured that out carrying it around the house for 2 months but whatever) and we were not ok with that. So I went looking for a new car seat--and ended up with a convertible. I'm happy with the seat overall and we installed it with minimal aggravation, bonus.

But as I think about it, I'm starting to wonder what I'm going to do without the bucket seat. I'm totally on-board with baby-wearing, I have several ways to do it, I'm thinking of things like: How does it work when you want to go somewhere "quickly", like in the store for 1-2 things or go someplace where wearing the baby doesn't make a lot of sense--doctor's office for example. And what about getting in and out of the house, especially when I have other things to get into/out of the car also?

This is stirring up some anxiety I've never had about dropping the baby. Especially in/out of car transfer.

I could USE the bucket seat, just as a baby carrier and not as a car seat, but does that seem excessive and not really solving my problem?
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

I would get a bucket seat. You can use the seat you have without the base, the base is just a convenience feature. Or you couldget a new base for the seat, just call the manufacturer, bases are usually $15-25, so cheaper than getting a new seat.

Be sure to read through the manual to be sure you are clicking the seat together properly.
    Its possible that you did do it correctly, some of the infant seats are made so they fold up against the seat in an accident, its part of the impact absorption.

We weren't given the instruction manual and most of the instruction sticker on the base was scraped off so not really helpful. I already have the new seat. But maybe I'll just use the bucket part for carrying her around like I would other wise.

You will eventually use the convertible seat, so it is good you will have it. I moved DD to hers at just about a year and DS to his around 9-10 months because he just got too heavy to carry in the seat for me.

As for the bucket seat, I loved mine. But with both kids, my bucket seat snapped right into my stroller so it was super convenient. And both kids fell/fall asleep in the car so I could just carry the seat in and leave them sleeping. If I had to take them out of a car seat, the transfer may have woken them up. I know some people do not use them, but I found it super convenient to have an infant seat. I would maybe look online if you can find the instruction manual, just to be sure you aren't missing something. And like PP suggested, maybe see if you can buy a new base. I had 2 bases for DD's seat so we could put her in both my car and DH's very easily.

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

I had a convertible with DS1 and got an infant seat for DS2. DS2 and I both hated that infant seat ... but it did come in handy when it came time to transport a sleeping baby. That said, I wore or carried DS1 a lot and I plan to do the same this time around as well. I went for the infant seat because I felt that dealing with two little ones, closer in age, would be easier with the infant car seat. I will use the infant seat again because it's what I have that hasn't expired. Even need to get DS2 a new convertible at this point because he's using DS1's and it's turning 6 soon.
    Dorcas (36) DH (37) 3/13

Like she said, you will use the convertible eventually. I switched my last when she was about 6m mostly because she hated the seat and i wanted to see if a different one would make her happier. she's almost 3 now and will be in it for a couple more years. So you will get use out of it, dont worry about that.

But i think you will still want the bucket seat. There are times when baby falls asleep in the carseat (hopefully everytime you get in the car) and it is soooo much nicer to just move baby seat and all anywhere you are going without waking baby. Also, while those convertible seats say good from 5lbs or whatever, i dont think its the best fit. We have a britax roundabout with an infant insert, and there is no way the lowest belt slots on the seats would have been low enough when DD was a newborn, she was still in the lowest set when we put her in at 6m.

You can get an owners manual from the company too. can you borrow one from some one for a few months?

I think someone else posted this, but you don't have to use the base of the infant seat. It should have some seat belt hooks near the handle bar bases. My infant seat goes up to 30lbs and that's what I still have Preston in (it just stays in the car now though, lol...too heavy!) Really, really convenient for quick shopping trips when you want baby to stay asleep or strapped into a seat.
    Please stay with me LOBrittany(28)DH(39) DSD-(18) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks

We got a convertible seat for DS when he was born but found it really inconvenient and ended up getting a bucket seat that we're still using at 11 months. We keep the convertible in DHs car since DS doesn't go in there very often and we keep the bucket and base in my car. Now that he's older I often use the bucket seat as a convertible (leave it in the car) but there are times when it is so much easier to just keep him in the seat and run into the store etc.

I honestly had no idea that the bucket seat was supposed to fold up like that, it's counter-intuitive at least in my mind. There's probably nothing wrong with it then. I tried getting the manual online but it wasn't available anymore. I'm going to have to find some support online for it's safety to convince my husband that it's still ok and then we'll likely put it in my car and leave the convertible in his like PP.

What brand is the seat? Do you know its not expired? I am fairly sure that the one I bought clicks into the base....as well as the stroller. I have been debating if I should get a convertible seat for the other car or just get a second base. I will probably just get a second base because I can see both cars being used equally. Plus it's freaking cold in the winter up here and I cannot imagine trying to get a baby into a convertible in our winters. I already bought a cover for the infant seat for the winters.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Do check for the date, if the manual is no longer available i'd be worried the seat is too old to use.

We use the bucket seat for the vehicle and that's it...it stays in the vehicle . I would love to live without it but our newborns do fit in them better than they do into the convertible seats we've had (they recline further...which may not be an issue in everyone's vehicle ). Having said that though...my babies with reflux HATE the bucket seat so we switch them to the convertible when they start having some head/neck strength and are a bit longer around 4months (prior to that I just don't like how our convertibles have slumped their heads forward or to the side when they fall asleep).

I never carry the bucket seats...I'm short and they're crazy heavy/bulky...and I don't feel safe putting them in grocery carts, at all, not even in the basket (lifting them out makes me so nervous). I have nothing against parents who let their kiddos sleep in them outside of the car, but it's not my cup o' tea (my SIL straps them in the seat, puts the seat in the crib for them to sleep in all night, and her kiddos have all developed plagiocephaly...she thinks the helmets are silly so they just have flat heads...fine for her, not for me).

The expiration date is stamped into the hard plastic of the bottom of the seat if you're not sure when it expires...it will say something like: "Do not use this seat after..."

We do always use the base for our bucket seat...I don't know, it just feels safer and more stable with the base, lol, just my paranoid preference .
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Have your husband bring the seat to a police station or fire house where they have safety seat technicians. They'll check it over to give him peace of mind.

The exp date is 2016, but it was made in 2010, so that's probably why the manual isn't available online--either that or I didn't put in the correct model information, which is also possible.

It's a good idea to get the seat checked out. I really can't imagine the people that gave us the seat would do so knowing there was something wrong with it. Its a little unnerving not having the manual or anything to read about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Geneari View Post
    The exp date is 2016, but it was made in 2010, so that's probably why the manual isn't available online--either that or I didn't put in the correct model information, which is also possible.

It's a good idea to get the seat checked out. I really can't imagine the people that gave us the seat would do so knowing there was something wrong with it. Its a little unnerving not having the manual or anything to read about it.
    I think sometimes people just don't know so it's good you're being extra cautious, lol, even though I'm sure any extra steps right now are frustrating !
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

I *did* like the infant seat for the fact that we had a 2nd base and could easily use whichever car we wanted to. I forgot about that part.
    Dorcas (36) DH (37) 3/13

I rarely used the infant seat carrying w DD. Have you looked into a"quicker" carrier like a k'tan? I wore her into the drs office, into stores, etc. You could always bring her in the house and put her in a swing, etc and then go get your things b/c really that's what you would probably do anyway as those infant seats w/the baby them get soooo heavy so quickly.

I do have a k'tan! I just haven't had an opportunity to use it yet so idk how quick/practical it is for the quick trips.

I didn't have one but I have heard that they are great b/c they are quick to get on while providing the close knit wear of a woven/stretchy wrap. We used the bucket with my daughter for a little bit but truth be told it was extremely heavy for me to carry and she would inevitably wake up whenever I carried the bucket seat anywhere that I figured I might as well take her out and put her in the carrier anyway. A lot of times she would go right back to sleep and sometimes she would want to nurse in the carrier first and then go back to bed. You will figure out what works for you soon enough I hope that you had a great due date today and enjoyed the day relaxing if not laboring ;)

What brand of seat was it? My sister has an evenflo that I installed for her. I didn't feel like it was clicking in right. But after a call to the manufacture and a trip to the store to look at the model there. We found out that the seat was safe and it is just the way is works. A good friend had used it for 8 months then gave it to her.