Thread: naptime woes

Default naptime woes

dd is 2 yr 3 mo old and has been climbing out of her crib at naptime. she needs her nap or she is a cranky mess. but she is too distracted by being able to get out of bed to stay there and fall asleep. at night i read to her then sing songs and rock her in the dark the whole process takes about 45 minutes. for nap she used to just go to sleep within minutes of me putting her in her bed for nap.

ds does not nap. period.he needs it but if he does nap then it takes him till midnight to get to sleep, he is usually crabby but i can handle his crabby

i can not handle dd when she does not nap... she is a bear, melts down about everything and is constantly whining or crying. (and ear piercing screaming that makes it feel like my ears are bleeding.) i also need some time during the day that i can have me time... ds is old enough to watch a 30 minute show without bothering me and i can shower and get stuff cleaned during that time. with dd awake i can't get anything done.

suggestions? is there a way to help her settle for nap without taking 45 minutes? do i just need to suck it up and let go of my 'me time' and just accept the fact that naptime is a thing of the past?

i am frustrated. tired and going crazy, ds' b-day is quickly approaching and i need to deep clean the house for the party but with dd around there is no time to get anything done. (its already wednesday of this week and nothing for this weeks to do list is done... some of the stuff from last week is still needing to be done....)
    Last edited by froggie83; 06-25-2014 at 12:52 PM.

Blog Entries

Once my DS1 was climbing out of his bed, nap times ended. However, his quiet time began. He just needed to stay in his room. At that age, I gave him some toys and books to occupy himself. At the beginning, he did sometimes still sleep.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart

Quote Originally Posted by JJorn View Post
    Once my DS1 was climbing out of his bed, nap times ended. However, his quiet time began. He just needed to stay in his room. At that age, I gave him some toys and books to occupy himself. At the beginning, he did sometimes still sleep.
    did/does he stay in his bed or room? what happens when he gets up do you send him back to finish a certain amount of time? aand how long is he expected to have quiet time for?

this is new for me... when ds dropped his nap it was simple to switch to a quiet time because dd was napping and he had to be quiet or calm or outside while she napped. and he would sit quiet thru an educational dvd or a simple show on tv. dd will not sit still thru a show at all

I think some moms on here have mentioned putting a baby gate in the doorway to their LO's room. Maybe if she has the freedom of her room she will play until she falls asleep?

DD dropped her nap just before she turned 3 (so I got about 6 months more of nap time than where you are) and she definitely still needed one. 2-3 times a week we would drive around for an hour or so and she would nap in the car, the only place I could get her to fall asleep. In the beginning, we just needed a short drive and I was able to transfer her to the couch. Even today, she will still fall asleep in the car. Definitely not ideal, but it might be worth the gas money to take a short drive if you are able to then transfer DD. At least for a little while...

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

My nephew was that way.. always up at night.. in the evening we started letting him play on the jungle gym and trampoline.. then ate a snack then bath time with the lavender sleep time wash... read a book and bed time.. he started sleeping at all night. I live in NM so we have awesome weather all year long to be able to be outside.. I have seen mini trampolines that fit in bedrooms that are fun...for colder states.

quiet time failed. she had some books and such to look at in her bed and i had a gate in her doorway. she climbed out, made a huge mess of her room and then climbed over the gate... so no nap, shes crabby, i got nothing done again and am more frazzled than ever. maybe i will have to try using ds room, its more kid friendly than dd's room, (no changing table with rash creams diapers and other fun stuff to get into) maybe she will do well to have quiet time in his room (i can lock her in there and she can't get out) and he can do quiet time on the couch... maybe i can get something done then.

I wonder if she wants a toddler bed if that would help. Wal-Mart has some great sets for about $50 dollars. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Character-...acter/30153381

We bought this for DS1:

http://www.amazon.com/Wake-With-Nigh...ok+to+wake+owl

The face turns green when it's time for him to come out of his room. You can also set it for a morning wake up time, which is what we bought it for originally and it also helps with his quiet time since he has stopped napping. He was around his 3rd birthday when we bought it.
    Katie (34) DH (33). DS1 Derek (3), DS2 Adam (1)

I had to stand outside my DS2 door for the first few days he moved to the big boy bed. And every time I heard him get out, I opened the door and told him to go to sleep.

Took a few days, and he still gets up occasionally now... I have to go up and tell him to go to sleep. And he does. The first few days were the worse.
    .~Becky~.

her bed converts to a toddler bed, but dh does not think that she is ready for it, she still flops around and he is afraid she will fall out of bed and get hurt.
    today my mom is coming over to entertain the kids while i clean the upstairs. hoping i get it all done. next week dh is off so he can watch the kids while i get some stuff done. maybe dd will be able to take a nap the following week so i can get ready for the party. hoping this is a phase.

I was going to suggest a Crib Tent, but this site doesn't: http://www.babysleepsite.com/toddler...-of-crib-tips/

I never had a crib sleeper, so I have no helpful hints.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

i think she needs to be converted to a toddler bed... dh needs to be on board. she is able to climb out sleep sack and all. she can also climb back in.oh what fun!

Oh wow! I think you should be calling HER Monkey Butt! ;)
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Quote Originally Posted by froggie83 View Post
    her bed converts to a toddler bed, but dh does not think that she is ready for it, she still flops around and he is afraid she will fall out of bed and get hurt.
    today my mom is coming over to entertain the kids while i clean the upstairs. hoping i get it all done. next week dh is off so he can watch the kids while i get some stuff done. maybe dd will be able to take a nap the following week so i can get ready for the party. hoping this is a phase.
    You could put a rail or a guard on it as a toddler bed. That would be much safer than her having an accident trying to climb out of a crib.
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

i think it would hurt less if she fell outta bed than if she fell while climbing over but thats me and he is the one thats gotta take the bed apart to convert it... waiting on him