Thread: Dr's Appt....again

Default Dr's Appt....again

So....I am still coughing... a lot.
    So...I went back to the doctor. My regular doc is out for the rest of week and part of next...so I got an appointment with the nurse practitioner (who I now absolutely adore)...
    She still (along with my regular doc) thinks it is a gastric issue. She is going to have me continue with the Zantac, and the Zyrtec (which I added last week)...and add either Priloec or Nexium (I can't remember which off the top of my head right now)....
    I am to take the new med in the morning before I eat...and continue to take the Zantac and Zyrtec at night.....

I will probably peruse the lung type stuff after Ryleigh is born....if I continue to have issues....

If the new med doesn't help....I may just have to deal with the cough for the next 18 weeks.....

Let's hope the new med helps.

~Lizzy~
    Lizzy (28) DH (27) DH diagnosed with CBAVD 6/2013 TTC since 10/2011 STC since 10/2012 5 "fur"kids

Ugh, chronic coughing is awful...I am *finally*, after 6 months of it, not coughing constantly (I seriously felt like wearing a sign announcing that I do not smoke and I am not contagious ).

I hope the new meds help and if not, really praying they look into it further for you so you can get some relief !!

Nexium works wonders for gastric issues IMO...I've never tried zantac, but my dr said to take it if I have breakthrough reflux...so far so good . The PPIs do take a few days for me to notice any effect and usually right around the 2ish week mark I start feeling *a lot* better.

I noticed a difference with zyrtec within the first day, but I have nasal allergies and eye irritation...both really improved. Have you had allergies in the past?

Could you request a referral to an allergist for a consult? It sure wouldn't hurt!

Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Yeah...me too!
    I haven't really noticed a difference with anything just yet....
    I haven't yet....I haven't really had allergies other than dust mites and dry cleaning chemicals (which is a bad...bad reaction)
    If I don't get some relief here soon...I may look into an allergist... but I don't know what I can do right now....arg....
    Just TIRED of COUGHING!
    Lizzy (28) DH (27) DH diagnosed with CBAVD 6/2013 TTC since 10/2011 STC since 10/2012 5 "fur"kids

Sorry ugh, chronic coughing.
    waiting for our hearts to healBrittany(28)DH(39) DSD-(18) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks

I just feel like crud today....I hope that I am able to make it through the day....and go home and rest....at least until I have to get up and go to work again tomorrow.....lol
    Just under 3 more hours......

I'm sorry you're feeling icky today...it must be going around because I'm not feeling all that great today either . Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day !!!

Hugs. With dd2 I have pregnancy induced rhinitis besides regular allergies. I was constantly coughing, sneezing, had runny nose and it was red. I really looked like I was hungover on some days lol I had to constantly reassure people I am not sick, it is a pregnancy issue. But it resulted in some serious worsening of my asthma in ppt. I was also on antihistamines every 2-4 hours due to bronchospasms. Luckily so far dd2 doesn't have my respiratory allergies while dd1 with whom I had not a single allergic reaction the whole pregnancy and 1.5 years ppt inherited my allergies.
    Hope you get some relief! !!

I have another appointment with my doctor on Thursday... my OB said that there isn't really anything they can think of that might help. I took some cough medicine today on top of the zantac, zyrtec, and the protonix.... still coughing....i give up trying to find anything that is going to help.
    I am exhausted from coughing....I can go a short time without coughing.... but I still have this cough that won't go away.

Thinking of you and hoping for a good appt tomorrow !

Still praying they are able to help you get some relief...chronic coughing is so miserable !!

I took cough syrup yesterday....didn't seem to change my cough at all... You asked (I think in my updates post) about my mom and her cough variant asthma... yes she has that. She didn't get diagnosed til she was in her 40s... The doctors do not think it has to do with my lungs as I have never been short of breath, my lungs do not indicate any sort of wheezing and have not been anything but clear. They also believe that I would have had some sort of an issue previous to this, and that there are other indications that should be there (if I had a lung issue) that are not present.

I was in a bad mood (work related) yesterday....and today may be the same issue. I hope and pray that I can some answers soon....because this cough is really annoying... and I don't want to deal with it for the next 15 1/2 weeks... but if they can't find a reason behind it....I just may have to.

I was so exhausted and so frustrated when I got home that all I could do was cry....luckily DH was home and he was able to get me to relax and finally went to bed... I had a lot of weird dreams....which is very normal for me... but now I am back at work....with the same irritable people....I hope that I can be productive today...

My doctor is kind of at a loss as to what else to do. We both believe that there isn't anything else going on besides the cough... Nothing has indicated it is in my lungs, my lungs are completely clear. She said to continue the medications I am currently on, and if at night I feel that I need to use my albuterol inhaler that I have at home, to see if that helps improve my cough since the cough has lasted so long. There really isn't a point for me to do a pulmonary function test, since I am pregnant it will come back abnormal. She (and I) didn't want to risk a chest x-ray, and we did discuss the need for some sort of inhaled steroid, but we both opted against it. I was told that if I felt like at any point I wanted to change my mind on the chest x-ray or the inhaled steroid that I should come back and we can look over that again, but there really isn't anything that seems physically wrong with me besides the cough. It may just have to be something that I have to deal with until I deliver.
    Yes the cough is annoying both to me and to those around me, but I don't feel sick. I don't feel that this is a huge issue despite the simple fact it is annoying and tiresome. I am able to continue with my job and my regular activities without any sort of issue, so I am okay with just waiting and seeing how things progress. The cough hasn't worsened, nor has it gotten better. We discussed other ways to help deal with the cough, most of which I have either tried or currently use.... so I guess I will just keep on keeping on.....
    Lizzy

Quote Originally Posted by elizabeth8503 View Post
    I took cough syrup yesterday....didn't seem to change my cough at all... You asked (I think in my updates post) about my mom and her cough variant asthma... yes she has that. She didn't get diagnosed til she was in her 40s... The doctors do not think it has to do with my lungs as I have never been short of breath, my lungs do not indicate any sort of wheezing and have not been anything but clear. They also believe that I would have had some sort of an issue previous to this, and that there are other indications that should be there (if I had a lung issue) that are not present.

I was in a bad mood (work related) yesterday....and today may be the same issue. I hope and pray that I can some answers soon....because this cough is really annoying... and I don't want to deal with it for the next 15 1/2 weeks... but if they can't find a reason behind it....I just may have to.

I was so exhausted and so frustrated when I got home that all I could do was cry....luckily DH was home and he was able to get me to relax and finally went to bed... I had a lot of weird dreams....which is very normal for me... but now I am back at work....with the same irritable people....I hope that I can be productive today...
    It's Friday ! I hope you're able to get through today and enjoy some R&R this weekend !!

Quote Originally Posted by elizabeth8503 View Post
    My doctor is kind of at a loss as to what else to do. We both believe that there isn't anything else going on besides the cough... Nothing has indicated it is in my lungs, my lungs are completely clear. She said to continue the medications I am currently on, and if at night I feel that I need to use my albuterol inhaler that I have at home, to see if that helps improve my cough since the cough has lasted so long. There really isn't a point for me to do a pulmonary function test, since I am pregnant it will come back abnormal. She (and I) didn't want to risk a chest x-ray, and we did discuss the need for some sort of inhaled steroid, but we both opted against it. I was told that if I felt like at any point I wanted to change my mind on the chest x-ray or the inhaled steroid that I should come back and we can look over that again, but there really isn't anything that seems physically wrong with me besides the cough. It may just have to be something that I have to deal with until I deliver.
    Yes the cough is annoying both to me and to those around me, but I don't feel sick. I don't feel that this is a huge issue despite the simple fact it is annoying and tiresome. I am able to continue with my job and my regular activities without any sort of issue, so I am okay with just waiting and seeing how things progress. The cough hasn't worsened, nor has it gotten better. We discussed other ways to help deal with the cough, most of which I have either tried or currently use.... so I guess I will just keep on keeping on.....
    Lizzy
    I'm glad you and your dr are on the same page and you have options later if things don't resolve or get worse . Just a thought...when my nephew was a toddler he developed a chronic cough and a loud wheeze over Christmas but no cold symptoms or signs of distress (could literally hear him wheezing across the room, but his breathing looked fine). After 2months without resolution, tests, and meds that didn't help (asthma/allergy) they did a CT scan and discovered an enlarged blood vessel in his trachea. His pedi sent him to a children's hospital for a consult and scope. The plan was to do surgery to reduce the blood vessel. On their way home he threw up...a candy cane wrapper of all things...and never coughed or wheezed after that so they never went back nor have they followed up on the blood vessel.

Anyway, lol, my point is with all the vascular changes that happen during pg maybe your airways have some enlarged blood vessels that are irritating things OR with all the nausea/vomiting you've had, do you think you may have aspirated something ? My nephew's wheeze was due to the noise of the candy wrapper not narrowed airways and everything was fine with his breathing.

Just thought .