Thread: Measuring small for fundal height

Question Measuring small for fundal height

I have noticed at my last appointment that I have been measuring 2-4 cm behind in fundal height. I did have an ultrasound at 35 weeks (now going on 38) and the baby was about 3-4 days behind from the estimated current growth and due date. I know they don't change anything at this point of time but with both girls I was sort of in tune with gestational age and the fundal height. I do know at 23 weeks or 25 weeks when I had first growth u/s the baby was a week behind in measurements but they didn't change anything. I had another one later at 30+ weeks and the measurments were just a couple of days behind.

Anyone has this experience? I had a regular b-w u/s at 35 weeks as I fell down and the baby was measuring 2-3 days behind the due date.

I am not panicking, just curious as this is my 3rd child and the pregnancy is so different from other 2.
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

Sophia measured small for height and weight and they ended up doing an emergency induction but, it was more significant week wise. She was measuring 35 weeks for me being 37 weeks pregnant so measuring two weeks behind. However, now she's had the same growth pattern really since birth our doctor has determined she is just going to be petite when they thought my gestational diabetic diet was the problem. They might not worry if its a couple of days off though 3-4 days is not as much as a difference as 2 weeks at so late in the pregnancy IMO. It could just be per child their bone structure is just different KWIM?
    *** Lindsay ***

Thanks!!! I am glad your daughter is making all the milestones. I know it can be worrisome. And the hoops I've been recently jumping here with pregnancy and careless doctors I just want to hear from BTDT moms just to have some awareness and if in case anything I can look for some early signs.
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

The baby's position can greatly affect fundal measurements.

May be this is it: he's been really low for a few weeks now, all the way lodge in pelvic area.

It could just be baby's position, like others said.

With my first I started measuring small at 30 weeks. They monitored me and discovered I had low fluid levels. Long story short they induced me at 38 weeks and Connor was small, 5lb 11oz. He was perfectly fine. They only thing was that once the placenta came out the Dr. said it was very small, about the size of a 29 week placenta. They sent it to a lab and did tests and everything came back normal. It seemed like the placenta stopped growing but was still fully functioning. I guess that caused baby to be small, but still healthy. I never had any problems with the next 2 pregnancies.
    Angela (28) DH, Pat (30) DS Connor (4), DS Leo (2), DS Nathan