Thread: Fundal Height...

Default Fundal Height...

Does anyone's dr/midwife measure FH? At what point did they start measuring? How far along are you and where is the top of your uterus?

My dr hasn't done a FH measurement yet (not sure if they will...I would think so), but I've only had two care-providers who did it prior to 20wks .

I'm 19wks+3 and my uterus is about 2 fingers above my belly button which seems high, lol, but I think, in part, stretch marks and gravity have affected the location of my belly button over the years .
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Quote Originally Posted by kellyowens View Post
    Does anyone's dr/midwife measure FH? At what point did they start measuring? How far along are you and where is the top of your uterus?

My dr hasn't done a FH measurement yet (not sure if they will...I would think so), but I've only had two care-providers who did it prior to 20wks .

I'm 19wks+3 and my uterus is about 2 fingers above my belly button which seems high, lol, but I think, in part, stretch marks and gravity have affected the location of my belly button over the years .
    Yes. She measures fundal height at every visit. If I remember correctly at 20 weeks my uterus was above my belly button too and I told her I thought that was high but she said it's measuring right on. I thought maybe it's because my placenta is front and high that it's pushing up my fundal height a bit. But she wasn't concerned at all.

Brenda

Mine didn't at the last appointment, but I was 19 weeks. I will let you know what happens tomorrow.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Quote Originally Posted by pants View Post
    Yes. She measures fundal height at every visit. If I remember correctly at 20 weeks my uterus was above my belly button too and I told her I thought that was high but she said it's measuring right on. I thought maybe it's because my placenta is front and high that it's pushing up my fundal height a bit. But she wasn't concerned at all.
    I have an anterior placenta also, so that would make sense for me too !

Quote Originally Posted by khadijavye View Post
    Mine didn't at the last appointment, but I was 19 weeks. I will let you know what happens tomorrow.
    Excellent! I'm just curious since I know not every care-provider does things the same way.

They did for me, they've checked it every time but I'm not sure when they started measuring it. Maybe around 19 weeks or something? I'm ginormous now and will be 26 weeks tomorrow, its probably like several inches above my belly button by now lol
    Dada (27) Mama-Jessie (26) Orion (4) Kadence (2) Osiris (Uterus)

I have had them check it every time, but at my 20 week appointment (actually just a few days shy of 20 weeks) they measured me...and I was told they would measure me every time after that.
    I haven't heard them say the measurements, but each time they tell me that every thing looks good....so I guess that is a plus.
    Lizzy (28) DH (27) DH diagnosed with CBAVD 6/2013 TTC since 10/2011 STC since 10/2012 5 "fur"kids

Mine has been checking mine. She said it's going to measure odd because of the twins but she is just looking for growth. How can you tell where your uterus is?

Me - Jess DH - Matt
    September 2013

Here they check and mine has been the same since week 35. No change though baby is growing according to ultrasound

Quote Originally Posted by MamaToe88 View Post
    They did for me, they've checked it every time but I'm not sure when they started measuring it. Maybe around 19 weeks or something? I'm ginormous now and will be 26 weeks tomorrow, its probably like several inches above my belly button by now lol
    You're our forerunner Jess .

Happy 26wks!!! I cannot believe one of our mommas is in the 3rd tri already, woohooooo !

Quote Originally Posted by JessieBee1027 View Post
    Mine has been checking mine. She said it's going to measure odd because of the twins but she is just looking for growth. How can you tell where your uterus is?
    I would image mine is easy to find because the skin/tissues are lax after so many pgs . I trained with a home birth midwife for 3yrs...did a lot of palpating pg bellies at all stages of pg and it was always more challenging to find the fundus on a FTM because their abdominal muscles are firmer .

Quote Originally Posted by cheeksy View Post
    Here they check and mine has been the same since week 35. No change though baby is growing according to ultrasound
    I was just reading about fundal height last night (after I posted this ) and it said it has no significance after 35wks...I didn't know that! So glad baby is growing well, only a few more days, yaaaay !!!!!

My MW didn't start checking until 24 wks, but I don't know if that's just how they do things or b/c I'm a FTM...

Quote Originally Posted by JessieBee1027 View Post
    Jessie--ask them to show you next time so you can feel it. They way they explained it to me is you start at your side and swoosh upwards towards the middle. You will start to feel a difference between your squishy abdomen and the firmer/tougher uterus--eventually it feels like a soccer or basketball. There is also a little knot-like thing you can feel for at the top. Definitely have them show you!
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!