Thread: A do-it-yourself baby-in-hot-cars solution

Default A do-it-yourself baby-in-hot-cars solution

from a smart young one: http://www.wkrn.com/story/22872890/l...ft-in-hot-cars (old but I saw on facebook recently so it might be worth reposting)

What a smart young man! I have always been paranoid that I could forget my son in the car--sometimes I feel like I'd forget my head if it wasn't attached. Luckily (?) my son screams bloody murder the entire duration of the majority of car rides so it's impossible to forget he is there. In all serious though--it's such an important reminder with the hot weather arriving.

What a very caring young boy! And clever. It just breaks my heart when I hear these stories.
    waiting for our hearts to healBrittany(27)DH(39) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks

And he only won second place! Still, looks like he's getting some good publicity.
    I've been reading where people are advocating something similar - a tether you attach to the carseat and yourself when you get into the car (it could be as simple as a string with safety pins on each end). Leave one end attached to the carseat so you see it when you put the kid in. Attach the other end to your clothes when you get into the driver's seat. When you get out of the car, it'll pull on you and you won't be able to exit without removing it.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

What a clever little boy! My heart breaks every time I read stories of babies being left in a hot car!
    *Sara-27**Lee-27* 11/21/09 DX with PCOS 05/10

The problem is so many people think it could never happen to them, that they could never forget about their child even for a minute, much less long enough for them to be harmed, so people just won't do these things to prevent it. There is a very long article about infant overheating car deaths that talks about it, and why devices like this have never been marketed,though they have been invented.

What a great kid! He seems very mature. The creation its something so simple and affordable but, I think it can work. I wonder if he has a DIY video on how to make one.

Quote Originally Posted by runningmomofmany View Post
    The problem is so many people think it could never happen to them, that they could never forget about their child even for a minute, much less long enough for them to be harmed, so people just won't do these things to prevent it. There is a very long article about infant overheating car deaths that talks about it, and why devices like this have never been marketed,though they have been invented.
    I agree with this its so sad especially with newborns, my kids slept in the car at that now, however they are very verbal in the car now.

Very cool...way to go kid!

If only use of something like this could become law. People do have the "It won't happen to me" attitude, so it needs to be a law so it is not seen as a weakness. Everyone who takes a baby home must have a carseat, they should also have to have something like this.

~*~Katrina~*~ Momma to Xander, Hayden & Lily (6) and Jericho (3 1/2)
    Trying to complete our family...My Ovulation Chart for my LAST try !

What a smart kid! So sad that something like this needed to be created, but such a smart idea!
    Jennifer