Thread: UTI is 6 year old boy

Default UTI is 6 year old boy

I haven't posted here in a while, but you all always provide so much information.
    My 6 yo son suddenly started to urinate very often yesterday. I took him in today and he may have a UTI. The urine is being cultured. Have any of you had a young boy with a UTI? I thought this was rare
    TIA
    Me 38, DH 38, DS 5/28/08, DS 7/6/10

It is rare but it ain't a UTI until the culture grows. Boys get all kinds of messy UAs without being infected. So suspend disbelief. If it is a real UTI he will need some further studies to be sure he doesn't have a congenital kidney issue predisposing him. But, you are not there yet so don't worry about it yet!

And im sure you checked his blood sugar!

Quote Originally Posted by tapir View Post
    It is rare but it ain't a UTI until the culture grows. Boys get all kinds of messy UAs without being infected. So suspend disbelief. If it is a real UTI he will need some further studies to be sure he doesn't have a congenital kidney issue predisposing him. But, you are not there yet so don't worry about it yet!
    Thank you. I am worried because he had prenatal pyelectasis that resolved on an US at 4 months so we elected to forego the invasive VCUG. It's always been in the back of my mind, but no UTIs in 6 years...I felt we had won the game.
    He had absolutely no WBCs on UA but he had "moderate bacteria". This seems strange to me to have no WBCs if it were really an infection. Maybe they were misreading some of the amorphous crystals as bacteria. But even so, why the urine frequency?

Quote Originally Posted by runningmomofmany View Post
    And im sure you checked his blood sugar!
    Of course diabetes was my first concern, though the urine showed no glucose. No blood sugar check though.

His urine culture so far is negative. It will be final tomorrow.
    So what the heck makes a boy pee 12 times a day?
    Irritation? Psychological?

Quote Originally Posted by suze001 View Post
    His urine culture so far is negative. It will be final tomorrow.
    So what the heck makes a boy pee 12 times a day?
    Irritation? Psychological?
    its been hot where i live and my 3 yr old has been drinking 3x more fluids than normal and thus he is going more often.. has your ds been drinking more?

google "pollakaiuria"...(unless I spelled it wrong. Frequent daytime urination syndrome. Harmless, annoying, caused by ?, goes away...) If there were no WBCs that was sure as sugar not a UTI.