Thread: Does this mean I need to stop breast feeding....

Default Does this mean I need to stop breast feeding....

since Preston was about 11 months old, he started this pretty constant whining and following me around. When he learned to walk at 13 months it got much worse. He acts frustrated with me at times for not breast feeding him more often than he wants. Right now I am holding strong at 4x in 12 hours He will pull at my top and hit me on the chest at least 3-4x more than our normal sessions My sister hand mentioned yesterday (as she noticed how extreme the behavior has gotten) that the whining and constant following around is more than likely due to breast feeding and his age I am not an insensitive mom, and even writing this out I'm thinking, are people going to feel like I just don't want to deal. It's really not that! It's just so tiresome having the whining and pretty much tripping over him all day. Cleaning is difficult, cooking is frustrating, and my homeschool pre-k program becomes overwhelming. I'm not saying that I am going to stop nursing just because of the behavior! Neither of us are ready for that yet, I'm just wondering if any of you have experienced, or have ideas on curbing his whining, following, hitting/pulling my chest.

When he takes a nap I feel like this

He really is good baby, and he is perfectly happy most the other time of the day... I'm with my sis in that I'm pretty confident it's a breastfeeding thing.
    waiting for our hearts to healBrittany(28)DH(39) DSD-(18) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks

That sounds exactly like my DD3 and she will be 2 next week....I have not nursed her in a year. I think it's a personality thing. If he is happy most of the day he is probably acting like that when he is feeling a little off - hungry, tired, teething, or just wanting mama. I think if you stopped nursing he would still do it.

The best thing at this age is redirection. It's hard. I understand! I basically HATE cooking now because it's SO frustrating.

Can you redirect him to something that is also soothing to him like a certain cozy chair or give him a certain stuffed animal or paci or something?
    Last edited by macksmom; 06-21-2014 at 06:51 PM.
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

I agree it's probably more of a personality thing (maybe a third child thing??) as my youngest brother was the same way with my mom. He was breast fed but he didn't grow out of that type of behavior until long after he was weaned.

I have a feeling my son will be that way. He has been exhibiting behaviors that remind me of my brother since he was born. And he loves loves loves his "nursies".

I think it has nothing to do with nursing and is just the mama loving age. I would probably nurse more often, maybe it would help him feel more secure. Even now with my 2 (almost 3!) yr old nursing her is an instant mood changer. I have been DONE with nursing for, oh about a year but it makes her happy, and sometimes i still need the magic of nursing.

Okay! Thanks ladies! Maybe it is a personality thing glad I'm not the only one frustrated
    waiting for our hearts to healBrittany(28)DH(39) DSD-(18) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

Have you tried wearing him in a carrier?

I agree, I think its more likely an age thing. My DS is nearly 21 months old and is stuck to me like glue. I can't do anything without tripping over him. I was never able to BF him, I EP'd for 7 months instead, so I know its got nothing to do with that. I always try to redirect him or let him "help" me in some way. Like give him a broom to sweep with me, or a pot and spoon with some dry pasta, to "help mommy cook," stuff like that. Hang in there! Hopefully we will all get past this phase soon!
    Jennifer

Quote Originally Posted by anonsouthernbell View Post
    Have you tried wearing him in a carrier?
    You know, I wore my moby wrap with him religiously up until 8 months.... Then he started getting heavy so I switched to just while we were out. Now that he walks I use it for nap times when we are out and about.