Thread: post pregnancy girdle thingy

Default post pregnancy girdle thingy

I thought i posted this but seems it disappeared somewhere into cyberspace. ok so!

I have a lot of back as well as pelvic issues, Im currently a hobbling cripple woman BUT right now my back is doing well!!, but i keep thinking about how my back was after the birth of my daughter,and fearing how it will be this time around, i couldnt hold her while sitting i could barely stand straight, i was a mess after delivering her, it took about 3 months to adjust back to "normalness"... well this time i was thinking after giving birth i would try one of those girdle brace things to help support and smush everything back into place. DOes anyone have any experience with using them? Any insight into brands or if ordering by prepreggo size, if it really fits for after you give birth, would be fantastic to hear from you.. I would love to spend some of my tax rebate stocking up and preparing for as much as possible

Ali (28) dh (28)love since 2006 8 angels who left us too soon

They don't make the one I used to own, but I have used one like this: http://www.splendorline.com/en/shape...-surgical.html

I personally loved it, lol, just don't expect it to feel like a "second skin" or anything, they give very firm support...it's not something you'd want to wear all day, everyday or overnight. I can't tell if this one has the crotch opening or not, but that was the one downfall of the ones I had...did not like the opening at all. It was not convenient to use nor was it comfortable. It offered all the support I had hoped it would and I haven't had the typical sciatic and SI joint pain I usually do post-delivery.

I'm still wearing this style for core support: http://www.jcpenney.com/women/bras-p...317034848M.tif

ETA I've owned this one, but it wasn't bfing friendly...I do like this company though: http://www.classicshapewear.com/coco...83-p-1833.html
    Last edited by kellyowens; 06-20-2014 at 04:09 PM.
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

I literally cannot imagine wearing any of those things. I can see the benefit but the restriction and tightness makes my head spin a little. DO those breathe at all? I'm a sweaty person--fun times--so I tend to prefer very flowy, loose clothes.

What about something like: http://www.amazon.com/Shrinkx-Belly-.../dp/B00HVKIJBE OR http://www.amazon.com/NSSTAR-Breatha...m_cr_pr_sims_t (This one is only $7.50!)

The ratings are hit or miss but it generally seems to be about personal preference not actual quality issues, so I take them with a grain of salt.
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

I don't have bad back or pelvic
    problem but I know diastasis can cause some - which I have and it is huge plus hernia. I will be using Tupler's belt but I can't see myself using such a tight supper system either. Have you talked to a chiro about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Geneari View Post
    I literally cannot imagine wearing any of those things. I can see the benefit but the restriction and tightness makes my head spin a little. DO those breathe at all? I'm a sweaty person--fun times--so I tend to prefer very flowy, loose clothes.

What about something like: http://www.amazon.com/Shrinkx-Belly-.../dp/B00HVKIJBE OR http://www.amazon.com/NSSTAR-Breatha...m_cr_pr_sims_t (This one is only $7.50!)

The ratings are hit or miss but it generally seems to be about personal preference not actual quality issues, so I take them with a grain of salt.
    I have used the belt-style ones (I have tried 4 different types of them) and unless I was standing it would just ride upwards...they are also extremely bulky, don't breathe, are difficult to adjust, uncomfortable, and for me, didn't really offer much support (LOL, my pp belly skin and bulge just protruded out the bottom ). I like being able to wear a girdle under my clothes when I go out in public...not only do my clothes fit better, but it hides my belly when I'm bfing too.

Actually the girdles do breathe well. In the summer, lol, ya, you'll sweat wearing them because it's an extra layer, but here in MI I've worn mine comfortably in all 4 seasons. They have an inner cotton lining against the skin. The key is to get the correct size. When in doubt, order up, not down, yikes, made that mistake before!

I think in general with shapewear you're really going to love it or really really hate it. It has been the perfect solution for me, but it's definitely not everyone's cup o' tea. The hardest part is it's not returnable because of hygiene and it can be a huge expense depending on which one you buy.

Walmart, JCP, and Sears have decent options too and are far less expensive! In fact, that may be what I'll do this time around...haven't decided yet .

After #2 (about 2weeks PP) I was struggling with how my clothes fit, not liking the squishy belly, etc. I got a pp belly girdle thing; the kind that only wraps around the belly and adjusts...... Hated it. Yes, I felt my tummy begging held in, but with a shirt on it looks funky and not smooth, and sitting down I could feel the upper part rubbing on my ribs. It just wasn't comfy for busy mom stuff. I probably wore it 5-6x and just shoved it in the maternity tote. Never attempted again. I would try a body shaper.

ETA: just read other posts:

Kelly, I was thinking body shaper too. I have a shape wear for my lower half (for dresses and such) but I have never looked into a full body shaper. Is it easy to use the restroom? I clicked your link and was liking this one : http://www.classicshapewear.com/leon...8n-p-6154.html

Also, Ali, I see latex belly girdles. Maybe those will be less bulky under clothes?
    Last edited by Brittany_Dawn; 06-21-2014 at 02:30 PM.
    waiting for our hearts to healBrittany(28)DH(39) DSD-(18) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks

I used the kind that Natalie posted about and Kelly hates. ;) I got it "for free" at the hospital. All of the reasons that Kelly stated her dislike were mostly true for me, as well, but I didn't really care because mine was covered by insurance and I certainly wasn't interesting in paying out of pocket for something else. I only used it for a couple of weeks PP and I am, in general, not interested in wearing shape wear any other time. I did feel that it was supportive and did help to push all of my parts back into place. I've never had a problem with diastasis (knock on wood), even with my first pregnancy where I gained 40lbs and had an 11lbs 6.6oz baby and I've used that girdle thing PP for both boys, so maybe it did help?

I assumed the garment was given as additional support post c/s so perhaps that is why I got one at the hospital and it was covered.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

thanks! this is why i love this forumyou ladies are on the ball and i love getting insight from those who have been there. haha try to sit down and talk to hubby about things and its like talking to a potted plant haha

kelly was the sizing guide accurate. should i wait til after baby id born and measure or could i order now ish in your opinion?

britt yea those wrap arounds dont look comfy but that lastt link looks nice! but for 60$ plus on most im scared to order wrong! my bottom and thighs are a problem area for me. half the time im so dispreportionate nothing fits correct i wish they had ones with different bottoms but i remember when my daughter was 6 mnths i bought shape undies and they had bikini bottoms and my flubb actually smooshed out the bottoms it looked badddd

Ali, I order according to their guide with my my pre-pg measurements and then go with one size up .

Brittany, using the bathroom isn't too bad, they come down easily and pull back on without having to break into a sweat . They're not much different than wearing spandex IMO, so if you've used spandex for working out it'll give you somewhat of an idea what the shapers are like. They are more firm than spandex, but they also have zipper and hooks which makes it easier. I like the one you linked! I can't wear the "briefs" style because my butt hangs out on the sides ; I've never used the boy short style though...might have to try it .

Diastatis is the *primary* reason I wear shapewear/girdles and I think it's the cause of a lot, if not all, of my low back issues with sciatica/SI pain. Mine is severe (more than 4in) and persistent pp. If I stop doing abdominal exercises even for a short time it will bulge again (well, it always bulges, just not as much if I do abdominal strengthening exercises). Even if I eat a large meal it bulges (and we're talking years after delivery). I've mentioned before that I'm short-torsoed, so when I went way overdue and had polyhydramnios with my first it overstretched my ligaments/tendons (which don't respond to exercise...they've healed as much as they're going to heal)...my fundal height was 44cm when I delivered (I have never measured more than 36-37cm since then).

When I'm done bfing this baby I'm going to ask my dr if she feels PT would help and maybe get a referral for a surgical consult just to see what a repair would involve. I have mild prolapses I want to talk with her about too...just hoping to get my insides put back where they're supposed to be .

Kelly, mine is pretty bad too - don't know in inches but it was 4- 5 fingers. I used Tuppler method to close some of it but not the hernia - it would go away but I got preggo lol I was told they would fix hernia during this c-section but now they are saying may be not. So I will have to do the surgery few months later and meanwhile I will do the exercise with the belt to strengthen the muscles. Sorry to hear your case is so complicated. I hope you get a solution to that soon after birth!!!

Ali, ya my butt and hips grow about 2 sizes up PP....
    waiting for our hearts to healBrittany(28)DH(39) DSD-(18) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks