Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To Swaddle or not to swaddle?

Default To Swaddle or not to swaddle?

That is the question. I don't know much about swaddling, other than I know some babies like it and some don't. What are the pros and cons of swaddling?
    Jessica (34) DH (39) This is a first for both of us

A quick google search yielded this article, which I did not read in full but I liked the pro/con bullet point list at the bottom which I thought was really good.

http://babycalmblog.com/2012/07/23/t...-swaddle-28-2/

I had recently read some negatives about swaddling. I was considering using it with my 3rd to help with breastfeeding in the first week or so. With my other two I had to have someone help me with spastic baby arms/hands while trying to get the baby to latch. I thought perhaps swaddling would take care of that ... and it still might. It sounds like it's not something I would do, full time, because of some of the cons listed, though.

Neither of my boys liked to be what I called "baby burritos" in the hospital, though. The nurses would wrap them up tight and I'd loosen then up. They probably hated me. Too bad. My baby! ;)
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

[QUOTE
    Neither of my boys liked to be what I called "baby burritos" in the hospital, though. The nurses would wrap them up tight and I'd loosen then up. They probably hated me. Too bad. My baby! ;)[/QUOTE]

baby burritos.... LOL!!!

I'll have to find a picture for you. It's the funniest looking thing.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Dd1 hated swaddling. Dd2 only liked it first month. I now discovered zipeedee zip sleeping bags which are awesome - they are less restrictive than swaddling and more restrictive than regular sleeping bags. Yet allow tge baby to roll over. I won one in a contest and tried it on friend's son. She and he loved it so much that wanted to borrow but I selfishly said no as they wouldn't be done for another couple of months lol I will try swaddling at least partially with this baby as well but will see if he likes it.

Most of my babies did better swaddled, but most of them also had one degree of reflux or another and it really helped calm them (and you can swaddle them with their hands next to their face or just swaddle one arm down...that might help a baby who is resistant to being swaddled, but keeps getting their hands in the way while trying to bf) . I never swaddle tightly, nor do I keep them constantly swaddled...I thought the article Dorcas posted was very good!

Varya...I googled the zipadeezip bags, loooove it and am for sure going to get one to try it. I'll still swaddle, but what a perfect transition...I like that they can't get "stuck" in it (I've had babies somehow get their arms into a fleece bag-type sleeper and pull it over their faces trying to get their hands to their mouths...scared the bajibbers out of them...and me!).

My only baby who didn't like swaddling was my first and I had polyhydramnios so I think she wasn't used to so much restriction since she had a lot room due to the excess fluid .

I do a lot of babywearing right from birth so that may be why mine like swaddling so much also.
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Baby burrito......that's awesome

Quote Originally Posted by kellyowens View Post
    Most of my babies did better swaddled, but most of them also had one degree of reflux or another and it really helped calm them (and you can swaddle them with their hands next to their face or just swaddle one arm down...that might help a baby who is resistant to being swaddled, but keeps getting their hands in the way while trying to bf) . I never swaddle tightly, nor do I keep them constantly swaddled...I thought the article Dorcas posted was very good!

Varya...I googled the zipadeezip bags, loooove it and am for sure going to get one to try it. I'll still swaddle, but what a perfect transition...I like that they can't get "stuck" in it (I've had babies somehow get their arms into a fleece bag-type sleeper and pull it over their faces trying to get their hands to their mouths...scared the bajibbers out of them...and me!).

My only baby who didn't like swaddling was my first and I had polyhydramnios so I think she wasn't used to so much restriction since she had a lot room due to the excess fluid .

I do a lot of babywearing right from birth so that may be why mine like swaddling so much also.
    OK... So that brings me to my other question.... babywearing??? What kind of sling, or contraption do you all prefer???

We called them burrito babies too. I swaddled both of mine but neither would ever keep their arms in it. I felt like it helped them sleep better.

Quote Originally Posted by turtle12801 View Post
    OK... So that brings me to my other question.... babywearing??? What kind of sling, or contraption do you all prefer???
    I have an ergo and a k'tan, I made a ring sling for my husband--so we have just about all the baby wearing contraptions covered.

The benefits are: you're holding them without the actual holding--it's hand free, they feel secure, they get your scent, they have the nice sensation of your movements, it helps with body temperature regulation. If you're using one outside the home, you don't have to worry about carrying a car seat or stroller.

Cons would be: if you don't get the positioning right, it can be dangerous or cause discomfort to both of you.
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

I LOVE my Moby wrap for baby wearing. We did a lot of baby wearing, too, but I think perhaps a baby that doesn't like a swaddle deals with the baby wearing because they are so soothed by your closeness. Just a theory.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Quote Originally Posted by khadijavye View Post
    I LOVE my Moby wrap for baby wearing. We did a lot of baby wearing, too, but I think perhaps a baby that doesn't like a swaddle deals with the baby wearing because they are so soothed by your closeness. Just a theory.
    And really it is less restricting than a swaddle.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyowens View Post
    And really it is less restricting than a swaddle.

I really want to get a wrap, I just wasn't sure what kinds are good, and such, and Oh My Gosh!!! Moby brand has MLB ones!!! EEK, I could get a Cincinnati Reds one!!!! And DH would rock that....

So what are everyone's opinions on Moby wraps???

Thanks Jessica!! Now I have to get a NEW Moby Wrap!! I had no idea they had MLB ones!!

Seriously, though, let's face it ... when you're having your 3rd boy there's nothing you NEED to buy, so thanks for giving me something fun to buy!
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Kelly, they feel awesome and I really appreciated that the owner of the company still sent me one even though I apparently didn't qualify due to location - it was a raffle copter which I entered to support a fellow blogger. And it is true that can't get stuck - my friend's son was on his tummy happy and comfy. So hope your baby and mine like them. Lol

Jessica, Moby is awesome. However I struggled a tiny bit due to mine being stretch type. In heat and humidity I had to adjust it multiple times as it would expand from getting wet from sweat but dd2 LOVED it. And I passed it on to a friend and she loved it too. We don't have woven wraps available here so I will be making my own.

I also had Beco and it was awesome. Now I want Boba but they are expensive here. I might get Boba air later on.

http://www.mobywrap.com/s.nl/sc.23/....ame=MLB%20Reds Dorcas, here is the link to the Reds wrap... Not that you want Reds, but look how cute, AND they're the same price as any of the design ones.

Ok, so it is 100% cotton, but I don't know if that's stretchy cotton or not??

Quote Originally Posted by cheeksy View Post
    Kelly, they feel awesome and I really appreciated that the owner of the company still sent me one even though I apparently didn't qualify due to location - it was a raffle copter which I entered to support a fellow blogger. And it is true that can't get stuck - my friend's son was on his tummy happy and comfy. So hope your baby and mine like them. Lol

Jessica, Moby is awesome. However I struggled a tiny bit due to mine being stretch type. In heat and humidity I had to adjust it multiple times as it would expand from getting wet from sweat but dd2 LOVED it. And I passed it on to a friend and she loved it too. We don't have woven wraps available here so I will be making my own.

I also had Beco and it was awesome. Now I want Boba but they are expensive here. I might get Boba air later on.
    Haha, Boba is on my list too for this baby . I really want to try a woven, but yes, they are so super expensive...if I save up for it though...there's a thought

The more I look at the zipadeezips, the more I love it...I wish they came in something other than poly, but I can see why...it holds it's shape and has a little give so it makes sense .

Thanks Jessica!! Now I have to get a NEW Moby Wrap!! I had no idea they had MLB ones!!

Seriously, though, let's face it ... when you're having your 3rd boy there's nothing you NEED to buy, so thanks for giving me something fun to buy!
    LOL, I'm so awful, but by the 3rd girl, I was soooo sick of seeing the same clothes I gave away what I had and bought new ...thus began my love affair with Kohls

Quote Originally Posted by turtle12801 View Post
    I really want to get a wrap, I just wasn't sure what kinds are good, and such, and Oh My Gosh!!! Moby brand has MLB ones!!! EEK, I could get a Cincinnati Reds one!!!! And DH would rock that....

So what are everyone's opinions on Moby wraps???
    Love love LOVE my moby !!! I seriously don't know how I got along without it with my other kids . I have heard great things about the woven wraps, but from my understanding, wrapping it has to be a little more exact than with the moby because it doesn't have any give (woven users, correct me if I'm wrong ). I also know women who love the K'tan...it's not a wrap although when baby is in it, it looks similar to one...it's actually more like two slings attached by a loop. I like the versatility of a wrap because it's not dependent on the size of the person using it and there are a variety of ways to wrap it, but it does have a learning curve whereas the K'tan is definitely simpler, but you lose out on the versatility.

The two downsides to the moby IMO are:
    1. it is stretchy so you have to be careful since baby can fall out and I personally wouldn't feel comfortable using it with a back carry...never have, never will
    2. It's long and I'm short, lol, so if I'm wrapping outside, a good amount of it is on the ground or parking lot ()...I try to wrap before I leave to go shopping, etc...so I can just plop baby in and go

I love the moby because it keeps baby up high and tight. I'm so short-torsoed that with most other carriers I use my legs are hitting baby in the butt while I walk because even with everything as tight as it can go, baby is still hanging too low for my personal comfort.

I have heard of Mei Tai carriers referred to as wraps, again, not so, and I can't use those either...they fall off my shoulders entirely, but some women absolutely love them.

Anyway, lol, just rambling . It would be good if you know anyone IRL who has one to ask if you can borrow it to kind of get the feel for it before making the purchase. I bought mine when I was pg and used it with my toddler before the baby came because starting with zero experience and trying to get it wrapped when baby is screaming can be very frustrating! Or buy it from a store with a good return policy like Target and try it out with a stuffed animal (lol, I used DD's American Girl Bitty Baby to practice wraps for newborns ). You can always return it and buy the one you want or forgo it if you decide it's not for you. I did that with an Ergo...it definitely wasn't for me, too bulky (short torso thing again).

Which Boba are you ladies referring to? On their site I see a couple of different options. http://www.boba.com/store/

The Moby is a stretchy cotton, so I 2nd V's issue with sweat and stretching, though even in the Southern US I didn't have too much trouble with that ... just something to be aware of. I would never bend over with my baby/kid in a Moby without supporting them anyway, and my hands naturally rested on their bums. That said, I felt like I could put baby in the Moby and use both hands to do stuff. I may not have opted for a lot of high heat cooking while baby wearing, but that's about it for things to avoid in my mind.

Jessica, I totally went straight to google and searched "Moby Dodgers." SUPER cute. I wish they had a solid Dodger blue with white letters, but I guess I'll have to make do with the reverse. My DH said we could use the new white Moby for "high society events."

Kelly, at your starting over with girl clothes with DD3! I have definitely still picked up cute stuff for DS3 along the way. I'd feel bad not supplementing new since I can. I am being reasonable, though. Not like I'm going to put what I'm not spending into a "feed my teenage sons" account, though.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

I have this in my amazon cart just to throw something else out there http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=AYSGJS3HJ9HIE

And I protest that the Moby doesn't come in a Brewers version!
    Last edited by Cosmosmom; 06-19-2014 at 11:34 AM.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Which Boba are you ladies referring to? On their site I see a couple of different options. http://www.boba.com/store/

The Moby is a stretchy cotton, so I 2nd V's issue with sweat and stretching, though even in the Southern US I didn't have too much trouble with that ... just something to be aware of. I would never bend over with my baby/kid in a Moby without supporting them anyway, and my hands naturally rested on their bums. That said, I felt like I could put baby in the Moby and use both hands to do stuff. I may not have opted for a lot of high heat cooking while baby wearing, but that's about it for things to avoid in my mind.

Jessica, I totally went straight to google and searched "Moby Dodgers." SUPER cute. I wish they had a solid Dodger blue with white letters, but I guess I'll have to make do with the reverse. My DH said we could use the new white Moby for "high society events."

Kelly, at your starting over with girl clothes with DD3! I have definitely still picked up cute stuff for DS3 along the way. I'd feel bad not supplementing new since I can. I am being reasonable, though. Not like I'm going to put what I'm not spending into a "feed my teenage sons" account, though.
    I'd like the carrier: http://www.boba.com/store/baby-carrier/

I definitely do feel hands-free with the moby though, just to clarify...like Dorcas said, it's just bending over where I feel the need to support them with my hand

Haha, of course now I'm looking at the Beco...loving all the color/pattern options on Amazon . I've also heard Becos are better for petite women (under 5'4").

Jennifer...I haven't heard of that brand, I'm assuming it compares with the Beco/Boba/Ergo carriers? *Edited, lol, I see the pics with kiddos in them now ...definitely looks comparable to the others I mentioned!
    Last edited by kellyowens; 06-19-2014 at 11:44 AM.

Yup it is. I added that one to my cart after reading tons of reviews comparing different kinds and watching videos and this one seemed to come out on top. I also was specifically looking for one that a little bigger waist belt. It came down to the lillebaby or the beco. I don't have anywhere nearby that sells them or can try on different kinds.

Video reviews have been fantastic for me in buying baby gear so far.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Kelly, I'm short, and I think also short torsoed, but I'm not sure... LOL!! but a friend of mine loves her Mei Tai carrier. I do like the way that you can back carry well, but I like that the Moby you can hip carry...

The k'tan (at least the one I have) is two loops tied together, but there is a third wrap piece that you use to make things more secure. I really don't think just the two loops would be ok, so just in case you were wondering about that!
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

These other carriers look neat, but their price tags are prohibitive to me when I feel like other than the "excessive fabric" part, the Moby does everything that the other carriers do (and maybe more because of various positions that the baby can be in?).

One of the things that I LOVE LOVE LOVE about the Moby is that you can adjust the fabric across your shoulders to get a broader base for the weight ... which means less strain on that bra strap area of your shoulders (where other carriers just sit). Being able to adjust that fabric I just HUGE for me.

Looks like the k'tan works much in the same way as the Moby, except that you don't have "all that extra fabric" nor do you have to tie it up ... but, that being said, I kinda like that I can adjust the tightness of the Moby and I don't have to worry about my kid's size nor my own changing too much because the Moby is just a big piece of fabric.

When I am tying my Moby in public, I stuff my pockets (waist band if no pockets) with the ends of the fabric to avoid it dropping on the ground. Even if it does, though, I'm less germaphobic about it because those ends don't come close to touching baby.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Now I'm getting excited for baby wearing!

With the age difference between DS1 and DS2 I used an infant carrier/carseat a lot more than I wore DS2, but I think with the age difference with DS3 it's definitely going to be a sweet spot for baby wearing. The older boys are big enough to listen to me and wait while I get the baby in position, etc.
    Last edited by khadijavye; 06-19-2014 at 02:48 PM.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

With Moby you can always cut some fabric off. That's what my find did. The Moby I had was huge even for me and she is petit. Yes, the downside is all the wrapping but before going out I used to pre-wrap it on myself (you get a hang of it with time and practice and you will know exactly how tight to tie it) even if I had the baby in stroller.
    Beco was really comfy but dd2 was tall so she kinda grew out fast. But I liked how easy it was for a newborn -the clip on insert worked well. Though by 1+ months she already had her feet out - she just didn't accept newborn positions as she was that long!
    If you have a baby wearing club in close proximity I recommend going there and taking look at different carriers.
    I never got k'tan as I couldn't figure out what size I could use - they come in think in 3 sizes. But some of my friends used it and said it was alright.
    Kelly, if you want a woven wrap, you can make it yourself. Cause basically it is a piece of cloth and you just need to secure the ends/sides so fabric doesn't tear.
    I also want to ask my in-laws to bring me a Tanzanian wrap when they come.

These other carriers look neat, but their price tags are prohibitive to me when I feel like other than the "excessive fabric" part, the Moby does everything that the other carriers do (and maybe more because of various positions that the baby can be in?).
    I look at the Moby but I don't see my DH using that one at all. I can see using the lillebaby and as of right now he's going to be home days with the baby while I work. Definitely more expensive, the plain colors start at 115 I think. I might just save up amazon points for a while. I definitely want to do some wearing for helping us get attached once we take custody.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36