Thread: Checking Car Seats (Flying)

Blog Entries

Default Checking Car Seats (Flying)

After talking with all of you, we decided that we would check the older kids' car seats and have the baby sit in his on the plane. Exactly what did you put the car seats that you were checking in? We are looking at bags on Amazon and are not confident that any of the mentioned bags will fit my DD's RECARO Performance SPORT Combination Harness to Booster. The other two seats are the regular convertible seats and should fit in the standard bags but we have not checked dimensions yet. Do we just put the baby in the Recaro and check the other two? I think that he is just at the lower limits but I'm not confident that he will be comfortable in it.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

I don't put it in anything, and gate check it.

I put mine in a red car seat bag I found at buy buy baby. It wasn't very expensive maybe 10-15 bucks. It easily fit a 5point convertible car seat.

https://m.buybuybaby.com/m/product/j...ats/1015862980

It had a drawstring. I tested it before we left and if it didn't fit I was going to return it.. I do know of people that have used black garbage bags. But write carseat on them if you go that route. They do get banged up.

We don't put it anything and they wrap it in plastic when we check our luggage.

Blog Entries

Good to know. We are flying out of a very small airport but we could call to ask if they had something for checking car seats.

I'd much rather gate check but getting three kids and three car seats to the gate sounds awful. I could handle the three kids myself but then DH would need to do the three seats himself. The last time we flew no carts were allowed past security either. I suppose that might have changed.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.

No carts allowed past security still.

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

The cart thing is so dumb. In holland and Belgium when I fly you turn in carts, but then they have some smaller ones after security that you can hang your carryon from and could totally at least get 2 cat seats on. But, you know. The US knows how to do things better.

We always just checked with our luggage and they've always wrapped them up, no damages done. I've done that at small regional airports also.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Blog Entries

Nearly everything about travelling in the US is worse, it seems. What is the big deal about a cart? They could even have you pay an ADDITIONAL rental fee on the other side of security...

I'll see if DH just wants to have them wrap them or if we would rather buy a bag. If we fly out a few times a year, I'm just going to buy car seats to leave at my mom's house.

http://www.amazon.com/Childress-Ulti...s=car+seat+bag

I have this one. It is really big. I put all of our diapers, extra wipes, snacks, etc in it with our car seat so I don't have to use suitcase space for that kind of stuff. I don't have a Recaro seat to know for sure, but I fit the 2 seats to my Britax B-Ready stroller in it last time we flew. And I have put DD's Graco MyRide 65 in it with plenty of room to spare.

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

Just an FYI...if you check your car seats in anything other than the box/packaging they were bought it they are considered no good anymore. Damage that could happen in the loading/unloading or handling process that you may not be able to see could cause them to fail in a crash. Same rule that states if you are in an accident the seat needs to be replaced...even if the seat was not damaged.

That said...when we flew out to Vegas last year (before I learned the above) we didn't put ours in anything. We didn't replace our seats upon learning this news...but I am not 100% sure I would fly seats again knowing what I know now.

~*~Katrina~*~ Momma to Xander, Hayden & Lily (6) and Jericho (3 1/2)

Blog Entries

I am honestly still debating just putting them on the plane seats. We are flying out of a very small airport so it might be fine for our trip out.

I'll look more into what you have mentioned.

I have always used contractor strength trash bags to cover mine.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13