Thread: Arm's Reach?

Default Arm's Reach?

Does anyone have an arm's Reach cosleeper and love it? With breastfeeding twins I think it might be my best bet for the first few months. There is an original and a mini, the reviews on the original said it was big enough for twins! Hefty price tag but it might just be the ticket to my sanity lol

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BFBUYAO/ref=aw_d_pd_baby-products?qid=1402833648&sr=8-3&vs=1

I LOVE my Arm's Reach co-sleeper (original size)!!! I bought it with my 8th kiddo and cannot believe I went without it for all these years ! I actually paid $50 for mine on Craigslist and it was in like new condition . My youngest is 2yrs and it's still set up in my room so when he's sick and I want to keep an eye on him or if he snuggles in bed with me it keeps him from rolling off the bed onto the floor in his sleep...he's not over the 30lb weight limit yet . Of course, there's no point in taking it down now anyway .
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Thanks Kelly! You think there's plenty of room for two babies?

I was planning on putting the babies in our room in our twin pack and play with the bassinets on top. I thought about the co-sleeper but I toss and turn and throw my blankets on and off and my pillows end up on the floor sometimes so I'm worried I would throw this stuff on top of my babies? Is that an irrational fear?

Me - Jess DH - Matt
    September 2013

LOL, okay, confession, I think there's plenty of room because two of my kiddos *have* slept in there together in the past ! They are 2yrs apart and only exceeded the weight limit together by a little so I let them (they were sick with croup) . They were both still nursing so they each spent some time in my bed throughout the night.

Eek, AND (confession #2) my 3-4yr olds have slept in it when they were sick or feeling scared...again, they were still 30lbs or less so I don't see why not .

I really did not LOVE my Arm's reach. In fact, I sold it as soon as possible. To me, there is no difference from that or having a pack-n-play scooted up to the side of your bed. And a pnp has more uses overall. I think this time I'm going with a pnp. For twins if it were me I might go with a pnp because you'd have more space and they could be in there longer.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by JessieBee1027 View Post
    I was planning on putting the babies in our room in our twin pack and play with the bassinets on top. I thought about the co-sleeper but I toss and turn and throw my blankets on and off and my pillows end up on the floor sometimes so I'm worried I would throw this stuff on top of my babies? Is that an irrational fear?
    I tend to thrash around a lot in my sleep too, BUT when I co-sleep I am very aware of my baby and the only scary moment I've ever had is with a crocheted baby blanket...my 1 month old had gotten his fingers through the holes and pulled it tightly over his face. He was fine, but cried when I unwrapped him...not sure if it was smothering him or just scared him, but I will NEVER use crocheted blankets unsupervised with children under 2yrs again . I honestly don't even know why I had the blanket in there with him since I never use blankets overnight) . I'm just thankful he wasn't alone in his crib or further away from me...I never would have known. I keep my room warm when we have a newborn in there and use light blankets (usually just the sheet or a light throw) and have never had any problems. I swaddle my babies and they have the fitted sheet on the co-sleeper...that's it, nothing else in there while they're sleeping. If they are in bed with me they are kept between me and the co-sleeper, never between dh and I (he's just not as aware and I'm afraid he'll roll on the baby), I make sure I'm not wearing any sweatshirts/sweatpants/robes/etc...with strings, buttons, or small parts. When my hair was long I braided it back (babies can choke on mom's hair or get tangled if it's long enough), we have a firm mattress, and I use a firm pillow. I would never sleep with a baby if we had memory foam anything.

So there are definite safety measures to keep in mind when co-sleeping/using a co-sleeper, but there are also safety considerations when baby is sleeping away from you too . I personally do not wake up to a baby monitor...when our babies slept away from us, dh had to wake me up when the babies were crying despite the monitor being literally less than 12in from my head .

Quote Originally Posted by elle77 View Post
    I really did not LOVE my Arm's reach. In fact, I sold it as soon as possible. To me, there is no difference from that or having a pack-n-play scooted up to the side of your bed. And a pnp has more uses overall. I think this time I'm going with a pnp. For twins if it were me I might go with a pnp because you'd have more space and they could be in there longer.

Good luck!
    Don't the PNPs have lower weight limits with the bassinet attachement though (usually 15lbs)?

My PNP was about the same size, just slightly different dimensions (longer and narrower...co-sleeper is shorter length-wise and wider) and the original co-sleeper converts to a play-yard...just have to lower the mattress. Converting it *is* more difficult than a PNP though...with a PNP you usually just remove the bassinet, but with the Arm's Reach you have to dismantle the frame (eta, not the entire frame, just the upper part and I guess you don't have to dismantle it unless you're transporting it; it does just slide off)...it's not hard, just not as easy as a PNP. I also felt it was just as easy as my PNP to set up, take down, and transport when used as a play-yard.

I'm on the opposite end, lol, I rarely ever used my PNP and get way more use out of my co-sleeper (I have not taken it down other than to move it in over 3yrs because I still use it regularly)
    Last edited by kellyowens; 06-15-2014 at 10:17 AM.

I thought the pnp had a convertible raised bottom just like the arm's reach? That's what I remember my DD sleeping on. We never used the bassinet attachment on the pnp for sleeping. Changing, sometimes. Weight limits are a great idea to check and compare, I didn't think of that.

ETA: I just looked it up, and Kelly is right. I misunderstood what she was talking about when she referred to the "bassinet" but it means the raised bottom. It is 15lbs. I think you would want to look at the Arm's reach for twins then.
    Last edited by elle77; 06-15-2014 at 10:49 AM.

I did find a pnp for twins:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005UV0UV8

I don't want to sound lazy or anything but, I would go with the arms reach just because I have literally hated it when my babies learn to roll. I co-sleep (bed share) for breast feeding (which means I pretty much do not wake up at all during the night, just pop a boob in) until they learn to roll! Then I have to break out the pnp or move the crib into my room. That's when I have to get up and either reach into the pnp or crib to get the baby into bed, nurse, and then get them back into their sleep spot....ugh. Like I said, don't want to sound lazy or anything I asked DH if I could get a co-sleeper when Preston was 4months but he said I have always figured it out ( boooooooo!) because I need sanity it has pushed me to sleep train and cut out night nursing between 8-10 months old. If and when there is a next time I'm not asking!! Lol! I'm just buying one out of my budget!!!
    Last edited by Brittany_Dawn; 06-15-2014 at 02:10 PM.
    waiting for our hearts to healBrittany(28)DH(39) DSD-(18) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks

I liked my cosleeper, but with the PTSD that I went through I neededy baby *right* next to me .. So we ended up bed sharing with both boys and it really helped me get the sleep that i needed while BFing at night.

It did come in handy for us as a bassinette for DS2. He was awesome enough to nap in it every evening at dinner time!! ;)
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Thanks so much everyone for your responses. I will definitely be buying it, even at its hefty price tag I would pay double that to get the sleep I need!

One of my biggest fears with the twins is breastfeeding both of them and the amount of sleep I will lose because of it. And DH won't be able to help because I can't imagine having enough milk to pump to keep on reserve for nights etc. BUT, I will be trying my best to keep up with it. Only made it to 9 months BFing DD, my milk supply started to suffer greatly from trying to pump at work. We shall see. Thanks again!!!

I hope it ends up being the perfect thing ! With my first we only co-slept for the first week and because of the pressure from others, including her pedi I switched her to a bassinet in her own room...ugh, goodbye sleep ! With the rest of them we've co-slept and I have only lost sleep with one other baby (nighttime reflux and allergies). I know it's not for everyone, but it has been ideal for us .

I think its great idea with twins and bf especially. I would for sure get it. My friend who had breastfeeding co sleeping twins got them on the same feeding times pretty quickly. So it helped her get at least a little sleep.her dh slept in another room for at least four months. He had an early labor intensive job and needed solid sleep. She didnt mind. She had an arms reach and worked out great. Eventually when they transitioned to crib she only used one crib too. The boys slept much beyter together. I use the PNP for my singleton for about two weeks. But my dh is not for cosleeping at all. But the nursery room is directly across the hall and I sleep with doors open. If it as just me I would cosleep in a heartbeat.