Thread: Breast pump troubles

Default Breast pump troubles

I called my ins company a couple months ago to find out about getting a breast pump and what the coverage was. They gave me a couple numbers but there is also a medical supplier listing on their website.

I picked a large national company figuring that would be safe. They offered the Medela Pump in Style too which was perfect. So I went there yesterday and they took my info and said to call back tomorrow. I call today and surprise! They don't have a contract with my "group" of the insurance. Sigh.

I've been calling down the list of medical suppliers and most often I'm hearing "we don't have breast pumps." Uh oh.

The one that did have them, has some crazy off brand that I've never heard of and can't find much in the way of reviews except on Amazon and it's 50/50 if you want to believe what people say there.

I seriously am going to be in a bind if I can't find one and soon.
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

Can you rent one at the hospital? What is the name of the pump?

I don't know about hospital rentals, I could check on that.

I did find a place that offers the Medela Pump in Style, so I went there yesterday. I have to call them today to check the status. There was a chance I'd have to pay more than I was expecting (honestly I wasn't expecting to pay anything, stupid insurance people). Depending on what I find out today--I have a very generous friend that will offering me her old one and I would definitely accept that.

Hope all works out! !!

So apparently, my insurance won't cover the breast pump--this is the second place that has told me this. I don't get it. I'm pretty sure they have to provide at least SOME coverage under the Affordable Care Act.

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

Popping in-I had to have a prescription written from my doctor and the insurance company wouldn't start paying for one until after baby was born-but they coordinated with the hospital so there was a delivery within hours of my arriving home. They paid for a rental up to 12 months at $YZ/month or 12 x $YZ if I wanted to purchase a new one (basically they had a set dollar amount they would pay out and it was up to me to make that work for me either via a rental of a Medella PISA which is what I chose or the purchase of some off-brand one since the PISA purchase price exceeded the benefit).

They do have to provide something but can make you jump through hoops-like a prescription. But your doctor can write one that is very specific ("hospital grade electric" vs "breast pump") which the company then has to honor, but they can impose benefit limits on it.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

I do have a prescription, that's the weird thing. ALSO I called the insurance company and was told that pumps are 100% covered--although on my insurance plan sheet it says medical equipment is only covered at 80% Either way--those are both more than 0%.

If I feel up to calling them again, I will, probably just on principle. But I have made arrangements with my friend to get her Medela PIS.

ETA: I called the ins company and was given two companies to call specifically. And it was reconfirmed that coverage is 100%. So I got in touch with one of them and am waiting to hear back. Hopefully this was just a case of miscommunication--but I don't see why they would put medical suppliers on an approved list and then not approve them...
    Last edited by Geneari; 06-18-2014 at 03:08 PM.

I thought they had to provide some sort of assistance under the affordable care act as well, but I called hubby's insurance (he works for a major package delivery company that uses brown trucks LOL) and they have great benefits, but surprise, they don't have any coverage for pumps. His policy is considered "grandfathered" so they don't have to
    Jessica (34) DH (39) This is a first for both of us

Yes the grandfathering issue is really crappy IMO.

I used one of the companies my ins company gave me and filled out the info. I was just notified yesterday that was pump was shipped and should arrive in 2 days...I hope I'm here to get it LOL!