Thread: Sit and stand stroller

Default Sit and stand stroller

Despite the fact that Maiya can walk miles, I KNOW that when the baby is here, if he will sit in a stroller (she refused quite often!), she will also BEG to ride with him. I know this for absolute fact, so I'm looking in to some kind of stroller that they can both ride on.

The problem is, she's huge! 43" and 40 lbs. All the sit and stand type strollers I've found have a maximum height of 40" and weight of 40". She's already too big!

Considering that it will probably get the most use next year (I intend to wear him most of the time when he's little) and she'll be even taller and heavier, is there ANY option out there that might work? Double stroller, sit and stand type, even just a large seat with a very high weight limit? Maybe I should just get a wheel chair with a higher weight limit! Or do you think the stroller would be ok even with her over the weight limit?

Our older daughter was using her her very simple umbrella stroller till she was 4+ years old. More like 4.5. But she wasn't 40 lbs. There are sit and stand strollers that also have a seat for older sibling but the downsides are: they can only be used for a baby from around 3 months. And till the baby can sit up your 1st daughter can't really sit in it, only stand. I've been researching double strollers as we have a 2 year old and will have an infant and so far I haven't found anything I need that is lightweight and easy to navigate and doesn't cost us a fortune. I decided to wear the baby first couple of months as much as I can and have dd2 use her regular stroller and put the baby in the regular stroller whenever we are indoors or I am not alone so dd2 can run around.
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

I would not put my 4 year old in a wheelchair if they don't need it. I don't consider "being tired" or "because brother needs a stroller" a need for an actual wheelchair. Cody was three and didn't want to be in a stroller with Sophia so I just didn't get one for him - like your daughter he was a a big kid. He was about 32-35 pounds at age 3.5 when she was about 2 months old or so. However, an actually either double stroller if she would sit in it or a separate stroller.
    *** Lindsay ***

I wouldn't bother with a double stroller. They are huge, difficult to steer unless you get the very expensive ones and chances are you will get very little use out of it before the novelty wears off. I can rarely get my 3 year olds in a stroller and I can't ever get my 5 year old in one even right after Ryan was born. If one of my twins wants to ride in Ryan's stroller I put ryan in a carrier or else let the twin sit where Ryan's feet would go on our single bob. I have multiple double strollers from when the twins were babies and they won't ride in them. I can occasionally get them to ride in a wagon at the zoo but that is about it.

I did also want to say though many people might frown upon it if its an issue of her being safe if she isn't well with directions I used a monkey backpack for Cody (aka "a leash") Yes, I hate to say its also known as a leash but, its the only other way for me to describe it. However, where I live I've had all positive feedback- the only time I've had some negative feedback was from teenagers without children. Older people are like "Oh my gosh that is so cute and bravo for keeping your son safe". For Sophia if its a longtime she's in an umbrella stroller for now however, with that being said she's very petite but, when she is a bit older we'll use the monkey back-pack for her. When Cody reached 4.5-5 he didn't need either.
    *** Lindsay ***

I had no idea there was a weight limit We got a Graco sit and stand from my neighbor so I never thought to look at any specs. DD2 is 48lbs and rode in it 2 days ago. Yeah she is too big but I don't really understand how it would be dangerous. She is fully capable of holding herself up and in the stroller, getting in and out, etc. Is the size limit because the seat wont hold or are they saying a larger child can't be properly restrained?

I would try to get one off craigslist. If you walk around a lot you may get some use out of it. I would not bother with a double. They are a pain!

ETA: This one goes up to 50 lbs.

ETA2: Now THIS is neat! I have never seen one of these. Perhaps that would work?
    Last edited by macksmom; 06-17-2014 at 04:49 PM.
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

I loved the sit and stand.

Quote Originally Posted by cheeksy View Post
    Our older daughter was using her her very simple umbrella stroller till she was 4+ years old. More like 4.5. But she wasn't 40 lbs. There are sit and stand strollers that also have a seat for older sibling but the downsides are: they can only be used for a baby from around 3 months. And till the baby can sit up your 1st daughter can't really sit in it, only stand. I've been researching double strollers as we have a 2 year old and will have an infant and so far I haven't found anything I need that is lightweight and easy to navigate and doesn't cost us a fortune. I decided to wear the baby first couple of months as much as I can and have dd2 use her regular stroller and put the baby in the regular stroller whenever we are indoors or I am not alone so dd2 can run around.
    See, Maiya NEVER uses a stroller with me. Sometimes the grandparents spoil her and bring one, but not often. And even when it's there, she doesn't use it often, and walks most of the time. I just know with the baby, she will want "her turn".

Quote Originally Posted by mom2CodySophia0811 View Post
    I would not put my 4 year old in a wheelchair if they don't need it. I don't consider "being tired" or "because brother needs a stroller" a need for an actual wheelchair. Cody was three and didn't want to be in a stroller with Sophia so I just didn't get one for him - like your daughter he was a a big kid. He was about 32-35 pounds at age 3.5 when she was about 2 months old or so. However, an actually either double stroller if she would sit in it or a separate stroller.
    Oh, no, I wasn't serious about the wheelchair. It was more a comment out of desperation and frustration! Sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by sharn View Post
    I wouldn't bother with a double stroller. They are huge, difficult to steer unless you get the very expensive ones and chances are you will get very little use out of it before the novelty wears off. I can rarely get my 3 year olds in a stroller and I can't ever get my 5 year old in one even right after Ryan was born. If one of my twins wants to ride in Ryan's stroller I put ryan in a carrier or else let the twin sit where Ryan's feet would go on our single bob. I have multiple double strollers from when the twins were babies and they won't ride in them. I can occasionally get them to ride in a wagon at the zoo but that is about it.
    Oh, thank you for your input! Very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2CodySophia0811 View Post
    I did also want to say though many people might frown upon it if its an issue of her being safe if she isn't well with directions I used a monkey backpack for Cody (aka "a leash") Yes, I hate to say its also known as a leash but, its the only other way for me to describe it. However, where I live I've had all positive feedback- the only time I've had some negative feedback was from teenagers without children. Older people are like "Oh my gosh that is so cute and bravo for keeping your son safe". For Sophia if its a longtime she's in an umbrella stroller for now however, with that being said she's very petite but, when she is a bit older we'll use the monkey back-pack for her. When Cody reached 4.5-5 he didn't need either.
    I have no problem with a leash! She has one. But, she's really really super good and certainly doesn't need it (though sometimes she still wears it just for fun!). The idea of getting her some way to be included when her brother "gets" to ride on the stroller is really just to make her feel included, nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by macksmom View Post
    I had no idea there was a weight limit We got a Graco sit and stand from my neighbor so I never thought to look at any specs. DD2 is 48lbs and rode in it 2 days ago. Yeah she is too big but I don't really understand how it would be dangerous. She is fully capable of holding herself up and in the stroller, getting in and out, etc. Is the size limit because the seat wont hold or are they saying a larger child can't be properly restrained?

I would try to get one off craigslist. If you walk around a lot you may get some use out of it. I would not bother with a double. They are a pain!

ETA: This one goes up to 50 lbs.

ETA2: Now THIS is neat! I have never seen one of these. Perhaps that would work?
    Hmm... You know, I hadn't really thought about WHY they had limits. I always just assumed that the stroller would break if you went over! That was my concern. I wouldn't even buckle her or anything. I'm not worried about safety (other than the whole thing falling apart) or her comfort.

But, with that said... Thanks so much for those two links! "Sit and ride"... Guess that's why I didn't find it, I was looking for sit and stand. And the second link does look awesome! That may be just what I need. I'd love to not have to buy a brand new stroller (or even a used one), when I have a perfectly good one already, just to indulge her. Cool, I will look more in to that, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I loved the sit and stand.
    Glad to hear it!

Thank you all for your feedback!!

Well.. sense sometimes I don't get humor all the time (like about the wheelchair) if its more if I understand correctly now a connection thing- have her help push the stroller. Cody did with Sophia sometimes and he loved helping. I don't mean for long walks unless she would want to but, it will give her a sense of pride.
    *** Lindsay ***

I definitely will have her help push. I'm sure she'll want to do that a lot! But she will also want to ride. And I know she won't "need" to, but I guess, as the oldest myself, I just want to be able to include her as much as possible. Sympathy- she's gonna be a spoiled girl when it comes to things like this, hah.

For dd1 it was the same - she wanted to walk but as soon as the baby was born she HAD to sit. She 5.7 now. Guess what? There are days where she says she wants to sit in stroller lol we teach her no way, please walk. Once in a while dh will pick her up and walk few steps. She is 20kg now (40+lbs).

Have you talked to her about this? Maybe let her know what her responsibilities will be as a big sister, including helping you with the baby's stroller, making a point of mentioning that she's a big girl who doesn't need strollers?

My almost 4.5 yr old ds only demands to be in a stroller when dd is in it! We have a sit and stand but I hate maneuvering it. We often take a cheap umbrella stroller but my youngest is almost 2.5 and can walk. We also have a little stand you can attach to our bugaboo stroller which we use occasionally too.

Yeah, I know I can make her walk, and I will. I just want her to have the option. Her world will be turned upside down enough getting a sibling at 4 1/2, I don't want to make it a bad thing any more than necessary!

Suja, yes, and we've practiced a lot with friends' kids. I think she'll do well, I just want the option.

Emma, thanks for the info. That's how I see her being!

I'm in the same boat with DS. The difference he wants his stroller all the time now and only wants to get out and run if he sees something interesting. Not sure what we are going to end up getting...
    Jen (34), DH (36), DS (3), Baby #2 EDD 10/21/14

Lost a loved baby 9/2012