Thread: Not sleeping well

Default Not sleeping well

Maiya is just over 4 years old, and we have a LOT going on in our lives right now. We were gone in Japan for a month, then when we got back, we bought a new house and sold our old one. So we spent a month living with my parents, and now we've been in the new house for a month. And just as a cherry on top, she knows there's a baby on the way. The poor kid, though in a good mood, must be pretty stressed out.

That is why, I think, she hasn't been sleeping well. We are able to get her to sleep without too much trouble (though she needs a lot of help), but she is not sleep well. She still needs about 12 hours of sleep every night, and naps are COMPLETELY out of the question. However, she is not getting good solid sleep. Some nights, she sleeps pretty well until about the 10 hour mark. Some nights, she only sleeps well for about 2 hours. But every single night for a while now, she has started tossing and turning and talking (in her sleep? Or does she wake up that much? I don't know.) pretty badly. It's to the point where I really can't tell the difference between when she is awake and when she is just that fidgety in her sleep. And this can go on for HOURS.

If she was doing well during the day, I wouldn't worry too much. But she seems to be chronically over tired lately. She wakes up happy, but seemingly exhausted- she just likes to lay around, have me do everything for her, not go anywhere or do anything. We just had her birthday party the other day, and it took her hours to really wake up and enjoy herself (it was a night of camping). This makes me really, really want to try to help her get better sleep again.

Does anyone have any suggestions? She has white noise (the same as we've used since she was 18 months old). I have used melatonin, but it looses effectiveness fairly quickly. And, she almost always starts the night off sleeping well, and only gets fidgety after getting some good sleep. I could wake her up in the middle of the night to give her some, but would that be worth it? She's not too hot or cold, she has her bedtime buddy. The room is very dark. I can't think of any ways to help her get more restful sleep.

I know the answer may just be time, and that when she adjusts then she'll sleep better. Just thought I'd see if there were any other ideas out there that may help her sleep a bit better sooner!

Thanks in advance!

I would try an Epsom salt bath in case she is magnesium deficient which can cause sleep troubles.
    Maybe some chamomile tea?

Give her massages, especially foot massages, with lavender oil before bed. Works well for my girls!

It is possibly just as you suspect due to changes and will settle itself but I can understand how stressful it can be. When we moved at the end of April for most of the day our almost 2 year old sat in her stroller and wouldn't get off it. She felt somewhat scared and insecure, she didn't sleep well for a few days. She is adjusted now but she is back to sleeping with me - she was sleeping with her sister before we moved. So yes, moving, changing houses and sleeping places can affect them gravely. My now 5 year old was like that too when she was younger - travels would mess up her bed time routine badly.
    hugs, hope she gets a proper night sleep soon!
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

Oh, Epsom salt... I've been wanting some for myself, anyway. Totally worth a shot!

She doesn't like ANY tea (so much for her Japanese heritage, hah), including chamomile, unfortunately.

I do give her massages, but haven't tried any lavender oil yet, thanks for the idea! Is that safe to use in pregnancy, or should I make hubby do it...?

Thank you both!

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/x536449/...le-im-pregnant

I found this link for you Krystal ^. One thing she can do is have a Johnsons and Johnson's Lavender soap bath.
    I've used it for Cody and Sophia for a very long time.

Iron deficiency can do that - I would see if you can get her on a multi with iron. The only chewable I know of is Flintstones Complete. I think it is quite likely that would help, actually.

My DD used to have night terrors (it's been a while since they struck, knock on wood, so hopefully they are behind us). When we moved to our new house, she had them every night for about 2 months - the most severe she had ever had. I realize they are very different from just restless sleeping, but Olivia was about 3 months shy of 4 (so close in age to your DD) when we moved. I think it could definitely be an adjustment to all that is happening in her life. It just took a little time for my DD to become better adjusted to her new surroundings, even though she seemed happy and comfortable in our new house from day one. It definitely can't hurt to try some of the great suggestions you got - hopefully they work for you and you don't have to wait it out like we did

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

Lavender is safe - I studied aromatherapy, one of few oils that have almost zero toxicity. For your dd 2-3▪drops of lavender per every tablespoon of favorite carrier oil is enough. And after that you just need few drops of the mix warmed up in your palms and massaged into her feet from toes to heal in strokes and circular motion clockwise. You will probably sleep better too. I cosleep with my girls and whenever I use lavender and/or tea tree oil I sleep like a rock myself lol

Oh and also 1 drop of undiluted lavender oil on a towel near her bed should work as well. I wouldn't put too close as honestly undiluted lavender rp me smells a bit heavy, but in close proximity.

you said that all she wants to do is lay around and have you do everything for her. are you letting her lay around since she is tired? are you doing everything for her? if she is not expending energy during the day it could cause restless sleep.
    Have you read "Sleepless in America"? its a good read that helps parents see how the bedtime routine starts when the alarm goes off to wake you up for the day. and gives great ideas on how to calm stress so your child can get a good nights sleep

Quote Originally Posted by froggie83 View Post
    you said that all she wants to do is lay around and have you do everything for her. are you letting her lay around since she is tired? are you doing everything for her? if she is not expending energy during the day it could cause restless sleep.
    Have you read "Sleepless in America"? its a good read that helps parents see how the bedtime routine starts when the alarm goes off to wake you up for the day. and gives great ideas on how to calm stress so your child can get a good nights sleep
    This is another good point. I would probably try and get her as much fresh air as possible, and have her moving as much as you can. I know my kids both sleep a lot better when they have been active and had some outside time as well.

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2CodySophia0811 View Post
    http://www.babycentre.co.uk/x536449/...le-im-pregnant

I found this link for you Krystal ^. One thing she can do is have a Johnsons and Johnson's Lavender soap bath.
    I've used it for Cody and Sophia for a very long time.
    Thank you so much!!

Quote Originally Posted by tapir View Post
    Iron deficiency can do that - I would see if you can get her on a multi with iron. The only chewable I know of is Flintstones Complete. I think it is quite likely that would help, actually.
    Oh, iron is always good, too. Will add it!

Quote Originally Posted by preciousnd98 View Post
    My DD used to have night terrors (it's been a while since they struck, knock on wood, so hopefully they are behind us). When we moved to our new house, she had them every night for about 2 months - the most severe she had ever had. I realize they are very different from just restless sleeping, but Olivia was about 3 months shy of 4 (so close in age to your DD) when we moved. I think it could definitely be an adjustment to all that is happening in her life. It just took a little time for my DD to become better adjusted to her new surroundings, even though she seemed happy and comfortable in our new house from day one. It definitely can't hurt to try some of the great suggestions you got - hopefully they work for you and you don't have to wait it out like we did
    Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. But may as well try a few things in the mean time! Poor child.

Quote Originally Posted by froggie83 View Post
    Definitely not! About the only thing I do for her is get her ready in the morning. I always brush her teeth, because she can't yet, but I will get her dressed if she's dragging too much, just so we can get out of the house. But I do my best to get her moving every day, and we spend a lot of time outside, too. Except when she's in school, but that's only a few hours a week, and they have some outside time, too.

Still, it sounds like that could be a very helpful book. I will look in to it!

Quote Originally Posted by preciousnd98 View Post
    This is another good point. I would probably try and get her as much fresh air as possible, and have her moving as much as you can. I know my kids both sleep a lot better when they have been active and had some outside time as well.
    She gets quite a bit of outside time. We go for walks nearly every day, and our new house has a nice yard, so even if we're home (which isn't often, hah), she is often outside. Though lately she has been laying on our patio swing more than running around to play... I try to get her moving, and will keep trying.

Thank you all!