Thread: Lyme Disease: Recommended Daily Checks

Default Lyme Disease: Recommended Daily Checks

We do ours without fail every day. I'm like the anti tick patrol and have even been giving out tick keys (for safe removal).

The article says that the nymphs can be no bigger than a poppy seed. So how do you check for the very tiny ones, esp in hair? Just a thorough check or is there some tool/trick to do it? Thanks!

This is great info...thank you for sharing!! We have probably removed at least a dozen ticks from our kids and brushed off countless more (despite using a bug spray with DEET). We check for ticks every single night as part of our bedtime routine with the kids .

In case some don't know what a tick looks like: http://www.lymediseaseassociation.or...vectors/photos

The ticks around here are primarily American Dog Ticks so the risk for Lyme's is lower but they carry other diseases so it's good to be informed as to what kind of tick it is and what diseases it potentially carries as well as what symptoms to watch for.

My mom was infected by a deer tick with the bacteria that caused Lyme's but was treated early and did not go on to develop Lyme Disease .
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

We just don't go outside. Seriously though I think most of the ticks I have seen have come in off my dogs. So both of them get treated with frontline and have lyme vaccines (though we have two other tick diseases locally and I have known people/dogs with both of them). And we treat the yard where the dogs go. Keep the grass mowed. One dog has long hair and the other has some long hair but also is black a good chunk of her body. And where it's black, I'm just not going to find a tick unless it is engorged....and I did find an engorged one on her head I think it was two years ago this Nov.

Ticks just suck.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by ibisgirldc View Post
    The article says that the nymphs can be no bigger than a poppy seed. So how do you check for the very tiny ones, esp in hair? Just a thorough check or is there some tool/trick to do it? Thanks!
    Ugh, yes, they can be *tiny*! DS had one no bigger than a freckle that we removed. I think it's a lot easier when their hair is wet and then we comb through small sections at a time in bright lighting. My kids don't have thick hair so it's not as difficult as it could be. Other areas to check are the inside folds of the ears and belly buttons...found some there before and had the kids not been itching and felt the tick I doubt I would have seen it right away.

My kids are slightly paranoid, lol, even my 2yr old pointed to a freckle on my neck the other day and said: "Tick!" , but I guess I prefer that over them not taking it seriously.
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Thanks for sharing... we spend a lot of time outdoors and i never check my boys. I will have to include that in our evening routine.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Thanks so much. My son started camp today. It's not like he's never been outside but they're outside for almost the whole day now. I saw the article and it reminded me that i need to do this every night now. (I needed to do it before but this has reminded me that tonight is when I should start.)

This is a great reminder. I dealt with misdiagnosed and untreated Lyme disease for almost 15 years until I was finally accurately diagnosed at age 20 after severe cardiac complications almost took my life. Early detection and treatment are key!

Thank you so much for sharing! It has become a part of our nightly routine now that they are outside every day. My youngest always asks me if I am looking for ticks when I comb through his hair. I do have to remind DH about it since he bathes them about once a week. A friend just posted a pic of a tick she found on her abdomen. It was the size of a poppy seed. Crazy!

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

Ugh. This is all new to me with our move to Wisconsin. I've been so paranoid between myself, my hairy husband, the kids and the dog! I grew up in an area of the country that has basically zero ticks. As in, the vets don't suggest our dogs be on tick preventatives unless we were heading to the mountains to hike. I know it's just a matter of time until we find our first one. Meanwhile I bug the kids and the dog to death every evening with my tick checks!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

The hair is so difficult. I comb in sections, like pp said. But more than that, I strongly encourage my kids to wear hats or bandanas. In our own yard I don't enforce too much since we have chickens and keep the grass short but on hikes and camping trips I'm pretty adamant. My kids are paranoid too. My dd asks me to check her almost every time she comes in from outside.

I just wanted to let you all know that because of this thread, I found and removed a tick off DS tonight. I never thought to use a comb. DS has long think hair, and I combed it before he went into the shower, with no luck. I combed it again wet, did the whole head, and the last thing was that I combed the back part of his neck and found a tick. I think it had just latched on, but DH bathed them last night so I can't be positive.

Did you save it? They say best way to save it is with clear packing tape then put in freezer.

No, I did not save it. I remember reading a thread in a local group about docs not caring if they are saved or not :/ Who would I contact if I did save it?

I sort of panicked. DH was not home. I am terrified of all bugs, and had to do it on my own. I tossed it in the toilet.