Thread: Wandering hives?!

Default Wandering hives?!

So DS broke out in hives on his thighs Thursday afternoon. We are not using a new detergent, he hasn't eaten any new foods that I can think of... we did go for a bike ride that morning, so he was in the bike trailer and exposed to stuff in the air that morning...

We went to Target that afternoon and I showed them to the pharmacist there. She told me calamine lotion if he is itching and Benadryl if it's really bad or starts swelling.

Later that day, we get home and I put DS down for his nap. When he wakes up, the original hives on his legs are basically gone, but new ones have popped up on his legs, arms, and a big one on his face. I gave him Benadryl that night.

Since then, he keeps getting random hives that eventually go away, but new ones keep popping up. After sleeping, he always has big ones on his cheek where he was sleeping - and there is usually one in some sort of crease, like his knee or elbow. They have been on his back and chest, too, at various times.

Any insight?? There seems to be a correlation with heat, as the "hot spots" seem to get the worst ones. I called the pediatrician, but she told me that he should be fine as long as he doesn't have a fever, swelling, or any other symptoms. Just trying to figure out what might be causing this. He has eczema, but it has always been mild and just little red bumps on his chest and back. Hives are definitely new to us! (and I am most likely taking him in to walk-in hours Monday morning at the pedi, but thought I would see if I could find anything out before we can get there).

TIA!!

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

Blog Entries

I randomly get hives all the time. For me, it is related to a mast cell activation disorder. As long as the hives aren't really bothering him and nothing is escalating (no wheezing for example), I wouldn't necessarily worry.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My blog about MCAD

Thanks for the response. I am not sure what is going on, but he seems to have had less this afternoon/evening. So if it continues to lessen, I won't take him in. But I feel like rashes/hives are something a doctor needs to see. Then maybe they can at least point us in the right direction - it's a flare up of his eczema, it's an allergy of some sort, etc. I am not too concerned, especially since he doesn't seem to be bothered by them in the slightest. But it's always a little worrisome when some new ailment pops up and it is so perplexing!

Blog Entries

It is for sure disconcerting, especially with kids because they can't necessarily tell you anything about it. Practically anything can give me hives which is likely why they do not concern me. I do hope that you can find out the cause for him. Heat can definitely be a trigger for me.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My blog about MCAD

My rashy exzema kid does that occasionally. i have rarely ever been able to pinpoint the cause, except once when it was really really bad and we were able to link it to the crimson clover being harvested in a field across from our house.

she will randomly get hives when she's stressed too. but usually they come and go and don't cause a problem. the pediatrician wasnt worried about them and didnt think it happened often enough nor had a strong enough response to worry about allergy testing. I did take her to the naturopath with the bad case and he said something like when the body is having a systemic histamine response it flows over to the skin. Its been awhile and im fuzzy on the specifics If they get bad i just give her zyrtec for a few days and they leave her alone for awhile.

Well, the hives seem to be gone today. Maybe it is his eczema acting up. I have had to put sunscreen on him to be outside, but I have been trying not to put too much other lotion on him so as not to irritate his skin. But that means he is probably all dried out and I have been doing more harm than good. I'll load him up with some Cetaphil today and hope for the best!

Blog Entries

There is recent evidence that eczema is caused by mast cell activation. Hives are also caused by mast cell activation.

Could it be that the sunscreen is bothering him? (Have you started with the sunscreen recently?) I find that most sunscreens really bother me.
    My blog about MCAD

I thought about the sunscreen, but the day he initially got the hives, I had not put any on him (Mommy of the Year remembered half way through the bike ride that I hadn't covered the kids - oops!) so I don't think that is it. I am really thinking it could be his eczema acting up though. I put some Cetaphil on him before his nap. We'll see how things look when he wakes up.

And today, when he is hive-less thus far, the air is much more humid as we have storms coming in. So maybe the dry air last week played a part and I need to be a lot more diligent with his regular lotion.

Blog Entries

That could be it. I can not go more than one day without lotion on my eczema areas without a flare. I do hope that you figure this out soon.
    My blog about MCAD

the dry air can definitely trigger a response. We just camped in easter wa this past week where it is dessert, and my poor girl feels like sandpaper all over.

We, did have a reaction to the natural, non chemical sund block we used too 9and half of us bured too!). I hate sunscreen.

Our random hives here are attributed to strep. DD had them randomly for several weeks and when I took her in they told me strep can manifest in strange ways sometimes. Sure enough it was positive, and they told me it's more likely to present that way again....she actually was seen earlier this morning for them again, and strep was positive this time too.
    ~Kim~Kaylee~Kai~