Thread: Pew, pew, pew...

Default Pew, pew, pew...

Dd1 who is 3 years old has started to hold up her hand/finger in a gun position and say pew, pew,pew. I am not against the right to bare arms at all!! And I don't want this this to be a debate. My issue is, is that I don't want her pretending to kill me. Because she also said, "pew pew I dead you".

I have a personal problem with this...and huge problem!! I was robbed at gun point 2 days before my 18th bday (almost 20years ago so you'd think I'd be over it by now but I'm not). Dd has done this pew pew pew thing a couple of times now and I have been ignoring it. Do I keep ignoring it? How do I make it stop? I want it to stop bc it brings up bad, horrible memories for me. She has learned this from school. Can I ask the school to not encourage this behavior? I don't like it at all.

However, I am all for people having the right to own guns. And my DH does have guns (Ina locked and finger proof safe). And I'm all for teaching kids about gun safety and gun protection etc....at the appropriate age.

I would just try to set guidelines on what's appropriate with gun play.Both of my kids do this!! I just tell them we don't pretend to kill people, and we don't pretend shoot people in the face. As long as they understand guidelines you set (just keep encouraging them, she will eventually catch on), you're good to go. I also tell my son that some kids don't like to play guns, so make sure you ask them if they want to play first. (Even if it's a gun with their finger). When he turned 4 we started talking to him about things like, what do you do if you see a gun at a friends house, what guns SHOULD be used for and what guns SHOULDN'T be used for. You have to go with your comfort level, but also remember that a 3 year old is a 3 year old. My son learned about pretend guns with zero prompting, it's just something kids do.

Also, my kids use laser guns too. No bang bang boom, always pew pew pew..... lol!
    Dada (27) Mama-Jessie (26) Orion (4) Kadence (2) Osiris (Uterus)

I agree with just putting guidelines on it. Just tell her we never point a gun at a person, no matter what the gun is made of. You know her best and how she will react, but you might want to tell her it makes some people sad, scared or angry when someone pretends to shoot them so always stop when asked.

Cody got reprimanded at school for sort of behavior. I am surprised they didn't put an end to it at your DD's school. If its a big trigger for you maybe just tell her to do the gun noises in her room or keep it for outside but, just mention for her not to point her finger like a pretend gun in anyone's face.

I would treat it exactly the same way you would treat any other completely unacceptable and potentially dangerous behavior. (If a child did that at my house she would be sent home.)

Quote Originally Posted by tapir View Post
    I would treat it exactly the same way you would treat any other completely unacceptable and potentially dangerous behavior. (If a child did that at my house she would be sent home.)
    Sent home? whoa. You don't mess around.
    I was not raised around guns, and we have none in our house and never will. I was also robbed, and my friends assaulted, at gunpoint. A very close friend of mine was murdered, and another close friend brutally pistolwhipped. The sight of a gun, even a picture of one, makes me physically nauseated. The right to bear arms is not a cause I favor, and in fact, it wasn't until age 4 when she started going for playdates and I felt she needed to know for her protection that Noe even knew what a gun did or what one looked like.
    I probably would let her know that I didn't like it because guns hurt, and we shouldn't pretend to hurt people. But at 3, her understanding is going to be very limited (obviously, since she also said "I dead you," and you know she doesn't actually want you to die!). I would definitely let her know what her words mean, though, and that she shouldn't say them, even in pretend.
    Last edited by pepperlru; 06-13-2014 at 11:47 AM.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

I don't see how pretending is dangerous but I do completely understand it being an undesirable behavior.
    i would just keep gently reminding her that you don't like that, guns are dangerous, those words are hurtful, etc. she is very young and as she gets older you will be able to explain to her in more detail why.
    I used to be very strict about gun play but my children have changed me in that I see value in almost all pretend play. We have rules and have to remind the 3 yo often but that's no different than a lot of things we are trying to teach him using Repetition and Redirection.
    My older children know they are never EVER to touch a gun, no matter if they feel sure it is a toy, unless they have asked an adult if it is a toy and gotten a yes answer. My 8 year old once screamed to me from the basement because she saw a staple gun and wasn't sure about it and I have heard them ask friends if a neon green water blaster was a toy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I don't see how pretending is dangerous but I do completely understand it being an undesirable behavior.
    i would just keep gently reminding her that you don't like that, guns are dangerous, those words are hurtful, etc. she is very young and as she gets older you will be able to explain to her in more detail why.
    I used to be very strict about gun play but my children have changed me in that I see value in almost all pretend play. We have rules and have to remind the 3 yo often but that's no different than a lot of things we are trying to teach him using Repetition and Redirection.
    My older children know they are never EVER to touch a gun, no matter if they feel sure it is a toy, unless they have asked an adult if it is a toy and gotten a yes answer. My 8 year old once screamed to me from the basement because she saw a staple gun and wasn't sure about it and I have heard them ask friends if a neon green water blaster was a toy.
    I agree with you on this too very well said. I would not send home a three year for something like this. I also agree with you about I don't understand fully the danger if its a finger pointing, its not nice but, not really dangerous.

I would not like it and while it is innocent and pretend I would not find it appropriate in my home. I would dissuade it in the same manner I would dissuade any other inappropriate actions or words.
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)