Thread: Always Wet Underwear

Blog Entries

Default Always Wet Underwear

My DS1 has been totally in underwear for at least six months. Abut two months ago he had a stomach virus with vomiting followed by diarrhea. Since that time, his underwear is always damp. It is like he leaks all the time - he doesn't even have to go very much and he'll still be wet.

I am not sure if this is a coincidence or at all related to the illness he had. Have any of your children gone from dry underwear to always wet underwear?
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

Does he seem aware that he is wet? If you let him run around naked, is he still leaking all the time? Sounds like something that needs a doctor to look at.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

My 2010 son does this occasionally, and I have talked to him about it, and he says he cannot feel when he needs to pee (when this is going on). When I start thinking about it, those times coincide with times that he hasn't been eating a lot of fruits/veggies, and he has been eating a lot more yogurt and milk. He still tends to poop every day, so I don't think about him being constipated, but he really is. I start giving him dried mangoes (he loves those) and watering down his milk, and all of a sudden over the course of a couple of days he will go enough that I realize there is no way he could have been feeling much of anything down there. It also makes his bladder much smaller, so when he does realize he needs to go, he goes every few minutes after a big drink.

Right now, he has a sore throat and doesn't want to eat anything hard, so he's avoiding everything except bananas, yogurt, and milk again. I know what's going to happen, and actually it already has (he's wet his pants a couple of times in the past two days), so I'm pushing water as much as I can and I've started giving a tiny bit of miralax now).

Anyway, I would think about an underlying constipation first and see if that helps.

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

How're his bowel movements now? He's not even a little bit stopped up is he? That can cause chronic leakage.

Scharae is almost constantly damp in her underwear. I finally took her to the doctor when she was 6.5 and had been in underwear for over 3 years. She had been dry and then at about age 5.5 every couple days she would have a full on accident and then it progressed to constant dampness. She had a bladder u/s which shows she has an ENORMOUS bladder. Something like 145% the average size for her age at that point in time. She never empties all the way according to the multiple bladder u/s she has had. She's also had a sort of "EKG" done of her pelvic floor/bladder muscles during urination as well as some test where she peed into a special toilet that measured the velocity of the output. Or something. What it all has come down to is a muscle dys-something-or-another. Her muscles don't work in harmony. When most people pee it's a steady stream that has a sort of curve:gentler-harder-gentler. She pees like a man with prostate problems-spurt, spurt spppuuuurrrtttt, spurt spurt sppuurrt, spurt. The urologist said it's like she's trying to pee through a kinked off hose because instead of relaxing her muscle to allow urine out, that's when she contracts the hardest. Meanwhile, her bladder is trying push urine out through the kinked off hose. We did PT but it was a disaster and didn't help. So she keeps extra underwear in her backpack in a ziploc bag in a hidden zipper pocket. But the problem is she doesn't realize she's wet. Ever. She has sensory stuff going on on top of this muscle thing.

She's 8 now and in the last couple months it has slowly seemed to be less frequent through the day, but still a daily change of underwear has to happen.

The first questions our pedi asked were if she noticed/acknowledged she was wet/damp and how her bowel movements were.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Blog Entries

Sometimes he seems to know that he is wet and sometimes he doesn't know. Wet underwear does not bother him at all. He is a regular pooper (several times a day) and generally it is fairly loose - he loves oatmeal, fruits and veggies. Before he was pooping on the potty, he would automatically pee when he pooped in his underwear. He does go to the bathroom himself but I do send him regularly as well when I notice that his underwear/shorts/pants are wet. He then will go but it isn't necessarily much so it doesn't seem to be that his bladder got too full.

I am not sure that I would be able to tell if he dribbled when naked. It usually is not a lot of pee. It is just enough to wet his underwear and seep through to his pants. I really have to do a load of laundry every day to keep that kid in underwear and pants. He goes through maybe 10 pairs a day. I've stopped trying to keep him in shorts because they just get wet all the time, too.

Maybe I will have to take him in. I have always thought that he peed funny - it does spurt and I am not confident that he fully empties his bladder, either. I do think that I personally have a very large bladder.

Now when we ask about it, he just said that he likes to pee in his underwear, etc. But he likes to do everything that we ask him about - it is his standard answer and half the time doesn't make sense. I'll see if I can get more information out of him but maybe I do need to talk to the pediatrician about it.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

Stomach virus can mess up the body like that. And no matter what books say the recovery can take a long time. My dd1 got alopecia this way. The body will gradually recover but if you are concerned and it causes problems - take him in.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Quote Originally Posted by JJorn View Post
    Now when we ask about it, he just said that he likes to pee in his underwear, etc. But he likes to do everything that we ask him about - it is his standard answer and half the time doesn't make sense. I'll see if I can get more information out of him but maybe I do need to talk to the pediatrician about it.
    It took me a long time to get the answer out of my DS that I did, and I had to be very careful how I worded it as to not lead him to believe that was what I wanted to hear. He has been potty-trained long enough and is old enough to know that he shouldn't be wetting his pants, and a lot of times he'll try to dissemble and he'll also tell me that he likes it or that he spilled some water there so that I don't think it was a potty accident and out of his control. Now that I've found a very clear correlation between a full colon and increasing frequency of peeing and then pants-wetting incidents, I start immediately trying to counteract it at the beginning and I let him know that we will need to change his diet so that it will get better (so it takes the blame off of him, and makes it more of a problem we can solve together). He LOVES milk and cheese and yogurt, but if I tell him that we need to change things to help him, that is one of the few times he doesn't complain about decreasing his milk portions and he becomes a cooperative partner.

I hope you get some answers soon!