Thread: Bath tub phobia

Default Bath tub phobia

My 17 month old son Damien started screaming when we put him in the bath tub this past week. It's happened 4 times now, he screams as if he's terrified to even be in there. Up until last week, I had to force him to get out of the bath. I read an article that said at about 1.5 yrs old, they can develop a fear or phobia of going down the drain? Is that true? Anyone have experience with this? Sonja never did this, and she's 4. Help!

can you put him in a laundry basket and bathe him that way? then while the tub is draining show him that he is to big to go down the drain?
    nither of my kids ever feared the tub... so i am only guessing here. but i wanted to offer suggestions and i hope it gets better for you soon!

Thanks! Well I could try that, but he freaks out as soon as I lift him over the edge if the tub! I tried an empty tub with a bucket of soapy water last night, put him in the dry tub, same reaction. And the bucket was even covering the drain!

Mine has gotten more afraid over time, and now at 4, won't get in a filled tub. I choose not to fight it, so she takes showers.

My older 2 did that and I think DD3 did at 12 months? They all went through a stage where they decided they hated the bath when it was never a problem before. For DD1 I think I had to get in with her and I was pg so that was fun lol. I think with the other 2 I just washed them quickly through the screaming and then eventually they just got over it.

Maybe get some new toys, the crayons that you can draw on the tub walls (although beware they can stain your grout!), glow sticks, bubbles, etc. I would try to get creative but really it may be something you just have to wait out.

It did not result in any fear of water in my kids.
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

Cody went through that a bit only when I washed his hair but, there is no way to avoid that so I gave him toys to play with during that time he eventually got over
    it. I agree with Mack's mom on the toys, bubbles, and fun things to do in the tub.

That happened with both Katie and Nathan at about that age, maybe a little closer to age 2. Nathan has gotten much better already, although he still doesn't like to get his hair washed. With Katie, it lasted a good year, maybe more. After about a year, she was okay with a bath, but would freak at the mention of washing her hair.
    Lynne, Grandma to three beautiful girls and one handsome little man!

Has he by chance ever slipped in the tub? Benjamin went through a period of time that he was afraid of the tub, after he slipped in there while walking to get a toy that had floated away. The end of our tub is slanted and he ended up sliding down it so he was on his back in the water. We got him one of those rubber bath mats (with Elmo on it - one of the only two characters he knows) and showed him that he won't slip on it, and he's been fine ever since.
    Jennifer

What about trying a communal bath either with his sister or you/husband? Maybe if he sees that the other person is fine, he'll be fine too? Monkey see/monkey do type thing.
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

I would make it showers and quick ones. Meanwhile just offer a choice of shower or bath.

DS used to be afraid of the bath. We tried a bunch of different things. MIL got him a little basketball net that suction cups to the side of the tub that came with 3 balls that squirt water. This was what finally got him in the tub without tears. Maybe try the laundry basket or some new, fun toys that might entice him? I think part of it with my DS was he got over a phase, so hopefully the bath phobia will be short-lived for your DS.

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

Thanks everyone! The sitter gave him a bath yesterday, no problems whatsoever. So hopefully it's over, but we will see how tonight goes. Matt said we should hose him off outside ! I'm prepared with the laundry basket and a storage tub, so he doesn't have to go in the bath tub if he's still freaking out. I have some new toys to try out as well. Wish me luck!!!

My daughter (now 6) had a brief (few weeks or so) around that age (can't remember exactly) but we either just gave her a sponge bath or I got in the tub and held or played with her.

Ok so he's been in the bath for 15 minutes now!!!!! Matt got in. At first, he whined and carried on. But now he's fine, in there with Sonja as if nothing ever happened. Go, Damien!!!!

Yay! So glad it went well tonight! Hopefully the phase is over and he will enjoy his baths from here on out!

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)