Thread: Kindergarten field trip..

Default Kindergarten field trip..

Paige is suppose to go on a field trip tomorrow with her class to the zoo. I am kinda panicking about it though. The zoo is 47 minuets away with the majority of the trip on the thruway. I have never let anyone besides myself or dh drive the kids... I even worry if dh is going to take them some place more then a few miles away. Also she is always in her high backed booster. Tomorrow she will be on a bus speeding down the thruway at 65+ mph and not strapped to anything. Then of course she gets there and is at a zoo in a city with a large group of kids. I am seriously considering promising to take her myself another time and keeping her home. Dh is working out of town and won't be back until Thursday so I can't go on the trip tomorrow, or else I would just do that as parents are allowed to follow the bus. Also there are potential thunderstorms in the forecast for tomorrow.

So am I being totally crazy for panicking? Should I really let her go?

I am a worrier and I would also probably be panicking so I am no help lol. Why can't you go anyway? Are you not allowed to bring the other kids?

If it were me I would probably find a way to go and end up taking her in my own car.
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

Yes I would let my children go. Cody went to a hockey game in Kindergarten for a field trip and to a baseball game was it 47 minutes away? Nope but, even if it were I would still let him go on the bus it was probably a good 20 minutes. Same for Sophia when she gets to the age. I do worry but, I can't let that get in the way of my children growing as a person. However, I do want to stay with our school for the outside baseball game if it was going to thunderstorm they would
    probably postpone depending on how high the chance is with that in mind too.. I wouldn't worry a lot. Most Zoos have some sort of an indoor shelter if it
    got rough with thunder I can't imagine a school having the kids outside with it raining and thundering I think that would be way too much of a liability for them though I could be wrong.
    Last edited by mom2CodySophia0811; 06-08-2014 at 04:15 PM. Reason: gah... stupid paragraphs not working!!!!!!
    *** Lindsay ***

I would totally let my kid go. In fact, I have. She had a ball and nothing bad happened.

While I agree that school buses are not the safest vehicles, I don't think I would stop my child from going on the field trip with the others. Obviously, it's YOUR decision. I know I'll get flamed for this, but I honestly believe kids today are way over protected. I know times have changed from when I was little or even from when my own kids were little, and there are things kids in my day did that I'd never allow my grandkids to do now. There are other things, however, that various agencies and groups and even the government say we should protect our kids from, but I think they go WAY overboard. You have to face the fact that no matter how much you protect your children, things happen and they can still get hurt. Only you can say where you draw the line, but I don't think keeping kids from school field trips is the way to go. It sets them apart from their classmates which can lead to other issues.
    Lynne, Grandma to three beautiful girls and one handsome little man!

Quote Originally Posted by LanceBabe View Post
    While I agree that school buses are not the safest vehicles, I don't think I would stop my child from going on the field trip with the others. Obviously, it's YOUR decision. I know I'll get flamed for this, but I honestly believe kids today are way over protected. I know times have changed from when I was little or even from when my own kids were little, and there are things kids in my day did that I'd never allow my grandkids to do now. There are other things, however, that various agencies and groups and even the government say we should protect our kids from, but I think they go WAY overboard. You have to face the fact that no matter how much you protect your children, things happen and they can still get hurt. Only you can say where you draw the line, but I don't think keeping kids from school field trips is the way to go. It sets them apart from their classmates which can lead to other issues.
    I agree with all of this especially how kids are way overprotected. There are so many things that people did not get in trouble when I was growing up for and now its changed so much like for example children under 14 at our old apartments we were told if they were not supervised by someone 14 or older to call CPS. I never, called CPS why? Because CPS would have been out there all.......... the............ time. There are too many kids in the system as it is we don't need to tattle on every... little... thing. The thing was they said it could be "child endangerment" all that's BS in a big complex with tons of people that can see the children at every corner.
    *** Lindsay ***

It is one of those things that people have to decide for themselves... My co-workers recently had a huge debate in the office on the topic. In the end, neither one changed their views: one lets her kids go, the other one does not. If you ask me, they are both right. LOL.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Quote Originally Posted by tanyachap View Post
    It is one of those things that people have to decide for themselves... My co-workers recently had a huge debate in the office on the topic. In the end, neither one changed their views: one lets her kids go, the other one does not. If you ask me, they are both right. LOL.
    Exactly. We all have certain things we do to protect our kids that other people find strange. For example, mine are the only kids at the beach in full on life jackets. Hey, there's 3 of them and 1 of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Exactly. We all have certain things we do to protect our kids that other people find strange. For example, mine are the only kids at the beach in full on life jackets. Hey, there's 3 of them and 1 of me.
    I would for put mine in a life jacket too even in a small setting until they fully know how to swim not to say its a substitute of course. At the same time I find it different than a bus ride.
    *** Lindsay ***

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    You know, I actually LIKE that idea. Erin likes to take the kids to the pool, but so far she hasn't tried to take them both at the same time alone. She's been taking Nathan lately while Katie's in school, but Katie will be out of school after this week. I was worrying about her trying to take them both to the pool at the same time. Thanks, Bridget!
    Lynne, Grandma to three beautiful girls and one handsome little man!

Quote Originally Posted by mom2CodySophia0811 View Post
    I would for put mine in a life jacket too even in a small setting until they fully know how to swim not to say its a substitute of course. At the same time I find it different than a bus ride.
    Yes, it is different. I was just using it as an example of how we all do things differently.

Like everyone said, it is a personal choice. When my DD was 3 I let her go on her first trip with preschool. I was very nervous. Since then she has been on numerous trip with school. It gets a little easier each time but I still get a bit anxious. I'm guessing even when both my kids are in high school, and probably beyond, I will always be a bit nervous about their safety but I don't want that to hinder them from experiences.

Kristy (32), Kirk (39), Jodi (4), Joey (16 months) and our dogs, Oreo and Wiggles

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

IMO this sort of situation comes down to you and what's most important to you. So the answer will be different for everyone. If it's more important that you continue to be basically the only person your child rides in a vehicle with, there's your answer. But having your child in school...how long/far do you take that? How long will she be ok with being the kid who's mom won't let her go on field trips? Eventually you'll be running in to field trips where not just any parent can come-by second grade those were done and "the competition" to be one of 6 or whatever parents who got to go began. Also, as she gets older and your son does and they start getting more involved in different things, chances are you'll worry yourself to death over how to get everyone everywhere if you're not able to let someone else drive.

Those are my thoughts on the issue in general. But when it comes to an end of the year kindergarten trip, I've always been sort of whatever about them. Not because of busing-in America buses are a part of our life and if they were statistically a heavy danger they wouldn't continue to be. But more because of how CRAZY life gets for this time of year, how nuts the kids can be, and I have kids that don't enjoy crazy-go-nuts without me there. I have kept them off swimming days but that's because I feel like 150 kids aged 5-7 in a wavepool and water park is crazy unless you require a parent there for each kid. For me that was a very measurable danger, the hour bus ride never factored into it.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

I let my 5 year old go on suburban field trip to an amusement park. It was first one ever and before we never let her when she was younger. The bus has safety belts - I would imagine your dd's bus should have them too. I was worried but you know, merely crossing the street on the right light can be lethal these days cause of some crazy driver. So we let her go to have fun with other children.
    Whatever you decide is the right choice for you and you should be comfortable with it of course.

Varya, school buses in the US do not have safety belts. They have high backed padded seats which are supposed to "contain" the kids in the event of an accident. Some of the smaller buses, like for day cares or special needs pick ups do have seat belts though.
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

Wow, then I'd also be worried! !!! I thought US would have more of such precautions with all the car seats and safety measures.