Thread: Relocating to new area/getting new OB after 30 weeks?

Default Relocating to new area/getting new OB after 30 weeks?

ladies!
    I have a relative who is relocating to my town from overseas with her husband, she'll be 30-31 weeks at the time. Does anyone know if there are any issues with finding an OB at late term? I called a couple practices here but couldn't really get a definite answer, I was told at both places that if there was no prenatal care prior to 24 weeks, the pregnancy will be regarded as "high risk" and referred to high risk OB. But she does have ongoing prenatal care and is already putting together all the records to be translated and all... It's her first pregnancy, she's under 30, and so far doesn't have any complications. One of the places told me to send all records to their office and that their drs will review everything and determine if they will accept her. Is that a standard practice? I know I'll be the one helping them out with finding doctors/hospital so I wonder if I should look for a high risk OB from the start?

Any OBs or nurses or moms with experience willing to chime in?

ETA: They will be paying out of pocket for OB and delivery, if that matters (no insurance yet).

I had a severe yeast infection with my first pregnancy and my doctor at the time neglected to tell me how to treat it at the time I was
    18, never been pregnant before and didn't know what to do, never had a yeast infection either. So I went to the ER for treatment because
    he was no help. After that I switched to a new OB and I was 26 weeks pregnant. This OB in general for 1 took medicaid no problem
    for 2. Took in patients that nobody else did so I went to him. With my son he was awesome with my doctor not so much. Anyways
    at 26 weeks I had an OB and no longer went to the other guy I was first only using a General Practitioner. I was determined high
    risk at 28 weeks with Cody because of low fluid. They did an ultrasound to check out everything as a standard procedure for
    new patients and found my fluid was low.
    *** Lindsay ***

I had no problems switching with both pregnancies to different midwives. With ds I was past 24 weeks and I don't remember how far along I was with dd.

Blog Entries

We almost moved when I was very pregnant (would have been 38 weeks about) but were able to wait. My DH did call ahead and no one wanted to take me as a patient. I would have had to just show up at the hospital and be delivered by whoever was there. It was hard enough to have someone see me for my postpartum check up. We finally got someone to agree as long as we paid cash in full before the appointment.

The root issue seemed to be monetary, though. Since I would have had out of state insurance and already had care with another OB they thought that they wouldn't get paid. Since she is planning on paying cash, she should probably start off the conversation that way.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

I switched OBs after 30 weeks and it was no problem. My new practice just wanted to make sure I saw all the docs in the practice (I think there were 5 at the time) because any one of them could have been on call for delivery. It was not hard to do since I was up to visits every 2 weeks almost 1/week anyway so I made each appt with a different doc.
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

Thanks for the input, ladies! I found a practice with three different OBs, all with high-risk qualifications, apparently, and they will review the records and decide which doc she'll be seeing. I also talked to two different people at the hospital where the OBs deliver and one said you have to register by 28 weeks and another said it doesn't matter when you register, as long as there's a financial responsibility agreement in place by the time you're due. I guess it IS easier to do self-pay, I went through insurance with both of mine and it was a total nightmare waiting for approvals and hundred different bills for everything.