Thread: Gah! :/

Default Gah! :/

Gah! Last night sucked. First off yesterday I had to give Kayla 6 bottles! Part 1 of the problem. I think she is having a growth spurt. 2 that doctor stressed me out with stopping formula cold turkey. And I have like NO milk. Seriously their is very little. I am pumping again (hand) using the medela parts to dual pump by hand. My let down is hard to come and I have like 10 ml per boob... so I am getting under 1 oz. It stressed me out more and I started taking the fenugreek again... **** the rash. Now for why it really sucked... my sister came home at 1:30 from a bar with a girl making all kinds of noise, it woke all 3 of us up. GRRRR I came out to see what was going on and there was stuff all over the living room. I knock on the door and she came out and told me. So then I was up with Kayla for 3 hours And my sister let her dirty hairless cat out. He would not leave me or Kaylas stuff alone so I had to move everything back in the bedroom and sooth her there. It is a small room and very uncomfortable to do anything in other then sleep. And our bed is a horrible place for bfing or anything. It is the most uncomfortable bed in the world. So I got a total of 5 hours of sleep broken by 3 hours. If we had a house instead of an apartment this would not have been an issue. But yet again I am faced with my sister being inconsiderate. It is a small apartment and they were not even trying to be quiet. Opening and closing the doors really loud. Almost slamming them. My sister is usually about being so quiet no body know she is home. Now that I have the baby she is not. And I don't get it. I don't think she is doing it on purpose. But I know it looks like that to everyone else. She is moving in 3-6 months thank god. I really think living with her is a strain on our relationship.
    Mariah (35) and DH (40) BFP 8/12/13! Baby Kayla is here! Praying for all the APA girls .

:Hugs: sorry you are struggling and your sister is being so inconsiderate. I would make a no guests rule after hours as you and the baby need rest.
    As for milk supply, have you tried stuff like Mother'S milk tea? How are you in fiber intake? I ate a bowl of oats twice day while BF. Stress can also be a culprit. Hope you get some rest soon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cheeksy View Post
    :Hugs: sorry you are struggling and your sister is being so inconsiderate. I would make a no guests rule after hours as you and the baby need rest.
    As for milk supply, have you tried stuff like Mother'S milk tea? How are you in fiber intake? I ate a bowl of oats twice day while BF. Stress can also be a culprit. Hope you get some rest soon!!!
    Thank you.

As far as milk supply goes I have tried absolutely everything. Lactation consultant said because of PCOS I might just have a low supply. But I am on the 3 step program. BF sup pump. mothers milk teat oats loads of fiber. Loads of water. Compression, skin to skin... you name it... I took fenugreek and broke out in a rash. But I am taking it again because milk supply did increase some. The only thing I have not tried is the cookies. I have NO time to bake them with all the BFing feeding and pumping. I barley have time to pee. Kayla is napping right now. So I have a minute or so. lol I better get myself some lunch while I can.

Stress and PCOS = low supply.
    Mariah (35) and DH (40) BFP 8/12/13! Baby Kayla is here! Praying for all the APA girls .

Beer also helps with milk production ;)
    Jen (33), DH (36), DS (3), Baby #2 EDD 10/21/14

Lost a loved baby 9/2012

My nutritionist/ lac consult..said to take 9-16 dosages of fenugreek a day to work until you smell like syrup.. if your supply does not increase by double in 2 days you should stop taking it. I'm in the exact same boat..I gave up! All the fenugreek..skin to skin, drinking water until I felt sick..pumping I was doing it off and on all day and in the end only one oz I just let it go and had to talk to my pediatrician about how I felt like a failure.. my baby is on formula and were both happy and I no longer feel guilty. He is very smart and healthy baby boy..

You really have to let go of the idea that you can measure your production via what you pump. That is SO important I'm going to say it again.

You really have to let go of the idea that you can measure your production via what you pump.

Seriously.

And especially a HAND pump. Those things don't do half the work an electric pump can do, and an electric pump doesn't do half the work your baby does.

I have PCOS and I have never had a supply issue. Not to say that it's not possible, but I hate that they're throwing that out there like it's the reason when it's not necessarily true that you have a low supply (because you can't measure with a pump) and if you do that it must be PCOS. Grr.

Seriously, you have to on-demand feed your newborn, from the tap, to establish a good supply. It is completely demand = supply.

Jen is right!! A beer will help with relaxation AND production. Have one!!
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

While I have never had a supply problem but do have a lot of hormonal issues related to PCOS (facial hair, insulin resistance, gestational diabetes, etc), I found this article that discusses the possibility.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...rmay05p27.html

Looks like the use of Metformin (my least favorite drug in the world) might help with supply.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Dorcas put it well.
    Also, remember - breastfeeding is not all or nothing. Even if you give her bm once a day it is a huge step in her nutrition. And at last - if you do feel like giving up and you eventually do, do not feel guilty. A mom needs to be "in the right mind" in order to provide for the baby and care for him/her. If you are constantly stressed, exhausted, and even begin to get depressed - reconsider your options. Your daughter will be fine. That's why we have formula -to help moms and babies in such situations. (And I am telling you not just like are mom - I am also a bf consultant who is strongly pro-bf but I also always tell moms to take great care of themselves! !!)
    Hope things get better!

Very well said Dorcas! Mariah, just remember, you are feeding a baby and then pumping...pumping, feeding, feeding pumping....that's a lot. How are her wet diapers? Enough? Who cares about bm...my kids went days and days without bm because their bodies used everything! No waste. Growth spurts are good, but you have to be available to breastfeed a lot, probably in clusters. Don't let it get to you!
    waiting for our hearts to healBrittany(27)DH(39) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks

Quote Originally Posted by khadijavye View Post
    You really have to let go of the idea that you can measure your production via what you pump. That is SO important I'm going to say it again.

You really have to let go of the idea that you can measure your production via what you pump.

Seriously.

And especially a HAND pump. Those things don't do half the work an electric pump can do, and an electric pump doesn't do half the work your baby does.

I have PCOS and I have never had a supply issue. Not to say that it's not possible, but I hate that they're throwing that out there like it's the reason when it's not necessarily true that you have a low supply (because you can't measure with a pump) and if you do that it must be PCOS. Grr.

Seriously, you have to on-demand feed your newborn, from the tap, to establish a good supply. It is completely demand = supply.

Jen is right!! A beer will help with relaxation AND production. Have one!!
    I agree!

Thank you everyone! I heard about the beer from my sister... I tried a nice dark beer but I can't drink more then a sip.

We had a great milk day today! I only had to do 2 sup bottles and that is because we were out running errands. I have been engorged all day toady. Kayla fed and then I pumped about an hour latter and still pulled 3oz! I know you say don't measure production by pump amounts. But I can at least feel relaxed knowing there is enough in there.

You Can Try brewer'S Yeast Instead Of Beer
    Glad you had a good day!!!

One thing you can do if you are curious is weigh kayla before and after you feed, and you should get an estimate on how much shes really getting , my peditrician had me weighing in grams so i could convert to ml..worth asking your doc if you are really curious! Hope all gets easier soon!

Ali (28) dh (28)love since 2006 8 angels who left us too soon

I am taking the brewers yeast and WOW what a difference. I also am having an Organic Chocolate Stout. I here the dark beer is better. Plus it is yummy. lol