Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Party Advice

  1. #1

    Question Party Advice

    I know I've asked before but, its been a year. I am so tired of having so.. many parents at parties. For one adding the parents is expensive
    for two the parents of the kids outweigh the kid ratio. Cody doesn't want many people at the party. I can totally respect that. He wants
    the grandparents there which I understand but, he wants more cousins than everything. He enjoys the neighborhood boys (group of 3 so far)
    but, he doesn't want them at his party. He just wants Sophia, three of his local cousins, and two friends so that makes 7 kids then James and I.
    Then his grandparents. Last year we had a get together with my Dad and Step mom separately because he had a Build-A-Bear party. James'
    mom and dad came because they had one of Cody's cousins for the summer and brought her. All of these kids except for Sophia and
    1 cousins are between the ages of 6-10 the one ten year old is a different cousin.

    To make more sense Cody age 6, Sophia age 2.5 L, age 3, D age 7, M age 5, S, age 10, O age 7. The party is going to be at a bowling alley. The only two kids that might need assistance would be Sophia and L. The rest with how small the bowling balls are they can probably have verbal instructions if needed. If you don't want to spend the money on the parents could I say "Kids are Free" on the invite? So they know they don't have to pay for their kid's game? That way if the parents want to come they do but, we don't pay for them? WWYD?
    *** Lindsay ***



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    14,873

    Default

    I'm confused. So you are having a bowling kid's party but the parents expect to bowl for free??? Am I reading that right? I have never been to a bowling bday party where any of the parents bowl and I have been to a lot. The parents just stand around and talk. If there is food it's nice when there is enough for the parents too (like pizza) but there doesn't have to be. It's a KID'S party. It's for the kids. The cake too - if there is enough for the parents great but they are really there to supervise their kid.

    Also, I would not be comfortable dropping my young child off at a bowling alley so there is no way I would not stay at a bowling party at this age. Again, I would not expect anything but I would not allow my kid to go if I could not go too. I have already kept her home from a party that said "drop off only" because of that. It was a communion party with tons of people I didn't know. If it was a small bday party at the home of someone I knew well I would drop her off so I am not totally against it.

    I can't imagine you need to say anything on the invite. I would think it's obvious that it's only the kids who are bowling.
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

  3. #3

    Default

    We are willing to pay for the kid's bowling game which is $8 per kid and that includes 1 game for them, shoes, and a hot dog/ chip combo. I don't want
    to pay for all of the parents. James and I are obviously are going to be there the whole entire time. I am not saying for the kids to be totally alone
    I mean instead of there being 10 extra adults to pay for we'd obviously just pay for our family and then the 5 kids outside of our family of four.
    I don't want the parents to think we are going to pay for them. Most people probably won't expect that but, some might. I don't care if the
    parents are there but, I don't want to pay for the parents and kids. We have't done a bowling birthday before. We might reconsider it
    because the bowling alley doesn't require any deposit and we still have time to decide. His B-Day is July 18 but, I like to prep ahead
    of time.
    Last edited by mom2CodySophia0811; 06-05-2014 at 12:15 PM.
    *** Lindsay ***



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    14,873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mom2CodySophia0811 View Post
    We are willing to pay for the kid's bowling game which is $8 per kid and that includes 1 game for them, shoes, and a hot dog/ chip combo. I don't want
    to pay for all of the parents. James and I are obviously are going to be there the whole entire time. I am not saying for the kids to be totally alone
    I mean instead of there being 10 extra adults to pay for we'd obviously just pay for our family and then the 5 kids outside of our family of four.
    I don't want the parents to think we are going to pay for them. Most people probably won't expect that but, some might. I don't care if the
    parents are there but, I don't want to pay for the parents and kids. We have't done a bowling birthday before. We might reconsider it
    because the bowling alley doesn't require any deposit and we still have time to decide. His B-Day is July 18 but, I like to prep ahead
    of time.
    I really think it's understood that it's just the kids. From what I have seen the price of the party includes kids only. Are they offering party packages?

    I would not even address it and if an adult wants to bowl they can pay for their own. Like I said you may consider getting enough food for the adults to eat if you are getting food for the kids but I would not worry that they expect you to pay for them to bowl. Personally I would want parents there....I would not feel comfortable watching after all those kids while trying to enjoy my kid's bday party.

    That is how it's done where I live. Maybe it's different in other places.
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

  5. #5

    Default

    The party packages go as $7 for a game, shoes, popcorn, drink (all together), $8 for a game, shoes, hot dog, chips, soda (all together), or $9 for a game, shoes,
    two slices of pizza, and soda (all together) per person then also included is their party room for when its time to eat, we are allowed to bring cake and any decor
    we want for the room as long as its easy to remove like banners and such. Everything is individual per person so that's where it becomes sort of a PITA
    VS other places that might do something like $150 for a group of 15 any age, and it includes food or whatever like the bounce house places but, we are
    not doing a bounce house place. We could do something at home that might be easier for everyone.
    Last edited by mom2CodySophia0811; 06-05-2014 at 12:39 PM.
    *** Lindsay ***



  6. #6

    Default

    for my ds i prefer an at home party. i make up about 100 water balloons and put them in a swimming pool with water squirters and tell the kids to bring their own water guns. i rent a bounce house and have burgers and hotdogs on the grill. after all the other fixins for the party and utilizing those that ask what they can bring i end up spending about 150 or so. i tell the parents that the water fight is free for all and that they might get wet.
    his b-day is july 14 so close to your ds.

    when i worked at the waterpark the invited were included, the parents were not and had to pay for park entry. they brought their invitation and thats how they got in. (we did have a special rate for a non-swimmer there for child supervision only and if they were seen in the pool staff would approach them and let them know they had to purchase a swimmers band to be in the pool.) this left the issue of parents paying for themselvs and the host of the party didn't have to worry about telling the parents of those invited about having to pay. but i think that usually its implied on the invite that stated its a KIDS PARTY not an adults and kids party



  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by froggie83 View Post
    for my ds i prefer an at home party. i make up about 100 water balloons and put them in a swimming pool with water squirters and tell the kids to bring their own water guns. i rent a bounce house and have burgers and hotdogs on the grill. after all the other fixins for the party and utilizing those that ask what they can bring i end up spending about 150 or so. i tell the parents that the water fight is free for all and that they might get wet.
    his b-day is july 14 so close to your ds.

    when i worked at the waterpark the invited were included, the parents were not and had to pay for park entry. they brought their invitation and thats how they got in. (we did have a special rate for a non-swimmer there for child supervision only and if they were seen in the pool staff would approach them and let them know they had to purchase a swimmers band to be in the pool.) this left the issue of parents paying for themselvs and the host of the party didn't have to worry about telling the parents of those invited about having to pay. but i think that usually its implied on the invite that stated its a KIDS PARTY not an adults and kids party
    Oh my gosh I was just thinking about the water balloon idea myself. I guess my worry is I don't want a kid to miss out because a parent wants to bowl in some way and can't afford it. I worry about all this crap. We do have an awesome backyard no fence but, we don't have a pool other than a tiny baby pool which we won't use for this party because it wouldn't fit the kids that come so we'll put it away to avoid hurt feelings. I can easily get some balloons and water guns probably at the Dollar Tree we might get the Dino stuff at Wal-Mart or order it from Oriental Trading Co. Good ideas!
    *** Lindsay ***



  8. #8

    Default

    I think parents should just know its not for them... I would never assume I was supposed to play a bowling game at another child's birthday party...

    Maybe bring it up to the manager of the place... here our bowling alley (and skating rink) both give me tickets for the birthday party kids. For example, say I want to pay for 10 bowlers, I pay, they give me 10 tickets, then as the children show up, I give them their ticket which they take to get their shoes/skates.
    Katie~
    DD1 (7) DD2 (4) DS1 (22 months) Baby #4 EDD 7/13/14

  9. #9

    Default

    We have gone to a couple of bowling parties. I had to help DD, but it was her game. The parents only bought enough games for the kids and they just filled up a lane and then moved on to the next one until they had all of the kids playing. The couple I went do did have pizza for the parents, but only some of the adults ate. I think it will be understood by the setup that it is for the kids only. If any adults want to bowl, they can always pay and set up at a lane next to the party.


    Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

  10. #10

    Default

    We went to a bowling party recently. No parent bowled (except a roll or two at the end). We did take some food and drink after the kids did but I think that's expected since ppl are standing round for two-plus hours. But it wouldn't even occur to me that the parents should bowl or be comped. In the invitation, just ask for the kids shoe size with the RSVP, for the bowling shoes... That should make it clear to anyone thinking otherwise.
    Last edited by ibisgirldc; 06-05-2014 at 06:22 PM.

  11. #11

    Default

    Which I've never been to a bowling party either Cody went to one and Sophia and I stayed at home because we weren't feeling that great and James went to work so I haven't witnessed it for myself. I was thinking of in general terms around here though it might sound silly adults play on the bounce house things at the party with the kids so, I thought it might be the same for bowling. James and I talked it over a bit before he went to work today and he is thinking about everything too he was thinking the outside thing at home would be better, with the sprinkler, snacks, punch and water, cake, water balloons, and we could
    get one of those plastic sets of bowling for the kids that are younger they are only $6 at Wal-Mart but, kids don't care I loved stuff like that as a kid. Then that way the adults can hang around outside with everyone with us including everyone.
    *** Lindsay ***



  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mom2CodySophia0811 View Post
    Oh my gosh I was just thinking about the water balloon idea myself. I guess my worry is I don't want a kid to miss out because a parent wants to bowl in some way and can't afford it. I worry about all this crap. We do have an awesome backyard no fence but, we don't have a pool other than a tiny baby pool which we won't use for this party because it wouldn't fit the kids that come so we'll put it away to avoid hurt feelings. I can easily get some balloons and water guns probably at the Dollar Tree we might get the Dino stuff at Wal-Mart or order it from Oriental Trading Co. Good ideas!
    last year the 'pool' was a 3 in deep one with inflatable sides and slide with a palm tree thing that dripped water into the pool. a baby pool for sure and out of the 10 kids playing there were no hurt feelings, only wet children. this year i have one of those plastic ones but i will still use it, this one allows for about 8 in of water and the kids love spraying each other with those dollar store squirters.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    12,254
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    We have never done a bowling party but last year DD1 had an ice skating party. We paid for the kids and if the parents wanted to skate they were responsible for their admission and skate rental. It was no problem at all. I agree parents should know it's a party for the kids and won't be upset if you don't cover their games. A bowling party sounds fun!

    ~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)


  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by macksmom View Post
    I'm confused. So you are having a bowling kid's party but the parents expect to bowl for free??? Am I reading that right? I have never been to a bowling bday party where any of the parents bowl and I have been to a lot. The parents just stand around and talk. If there is food it's nice when there is enough for the parents too (like pizza) but there doesn't have to be. It's a KID'S party. It's for the kids. The cake too - if there is enough for the parents great but they are really there to supervise their kid.

    Also, I would not be comfortable dropping my young child off at a bowling alley so there is no way I would not stay at a bowling party at this age. Again, I would not expect anything but I would not allow my kid to go if I could not go too. I have already kept her home from a party that said "drop off only" because of that. It was a communion party with tons of people I didn't know. If it was a small bday party at the home of someone I knew well I would drop her off so I am not totally against it.

    I can't imagine you need to say anything on the invite. I would think it's obvious that it's only the kids who are bowling.
    ITA ... we had Matthew's 3 rd bday at a bowling alley and none of the parents assumed that they could bowl. We did have enough pizza for them to have a slice and I made cupcakes so there were enough of those too to go around.


  15. #15

    Default

    I guess I'm pretty cheap, because I'd just have my DD bring a friend to something like the Zoo or wherever and we can do a picnic or go out to eat. That's it. But I'm not big on celebrating birthdays.


  16. #16

    Default

    If my child got an invite to a bowling place, I would assume his game and shoe rental would be provided for. I would also assume that he would get some sort of food and cake (though many of my friends will tell us that a meal is provided or not). I would be comfortable leaving my kids at a bowling alley at this age, so I would not expect my game or shoe rentals to be paid for. If I had to bring a younger sibling, I would also not assume that anything would be for him...do any of his friends have siblings that you need to worry about? I also appreciate when the hosts have food for all the adults. Like a PP said, we are staying there for a couple hours.

    I think something like a bowling alley is different than a bounce house place because each individual has a spot in the game and shoes whereas a bounce house, it doesn't really matter, you know?

    We always have had in-home parties, but not just to save money. No one around here ever has an in-home party even if they live in a mansion and have the space. I think it gives kids something different to do, and it allows kids to play with one another and just have more freedom. A lot of the parties we go to have a strict schedule to follow and some have very strict instructions so the kis don't really get to talk to each other..it's like a class..they are all fun...it's just something different. So, if you want to have a party at home, I think your son and kids would love it, too

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by i.<3.cheesysmiles View Post
    If my child got an invite to a bowling place, I would assume his game and shoe rental would be provided for. I would also assume that he would get some sort of food and cake (though many of my friends will tell us that a meal is provided or not). I would be comfortable leaving my kids at a bowling alley at this age, so I would not expect my game or shoe rentals to be paid for. If I had to bring a younger sibling, I would also not assume that anything would be for him...do any of his friends have siblings that you need to worry about? I also appreciate when the hosts have food for all the adults. Like a PP said, we are staying there for a couple hours.

    I think something like a bowling alley is different than a bounce house place because each individual has a spot in the game and shoes whereas a bounce house, it doesn't really matter, you know?

    We always have had in-home parties, but not just to save money. No one around here ever has an in-home party even if they live in a mansion and have the space. I think it gives kids something different to do, and it allows kids to play with one another and just have more freedom. A lot of the parties we go to have a strict schedule to follow and some have very strict instructions so the kis don't really get to talk to each other..it's like a class..they are all fun...it's just something different. So, if you want to have a party at home, I think your son and kids would love it, too
    Cody, James, and I talked about it and the things we could do. He does like the idea of the water balloons, chalk, sprinkler etc.. So since Cody is fine with it we'll do an outside party and I agree its more freedom for everyone.
    *** Lindsay ***



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •