Thread: Mothers helper?

Default Mothers helper?

I am in need to hire a mother's helper to watch my four kids while I work in the basement for a few hours over the day for the next month. Ideally, it would be 2 hours in the morning. What does this type of help usually pay? I will be home the entire time and if there is a major problem, I can handle it along with poopy diapers or potty training accidents. And no lunch or breakfast either, just an easy snack. I should mention that the person/friend is a graduating senior from high school. My first thought was $10 an hour but felt it might be too low. But my mom (who is almost 70) thought $10 was too much. So, how much would you pay?

Jeanne, mom to Dev0n (6) Isabe11e (5) and C0rbin (3.5) Vio1et (almost 2)

For 4 kids $10/hr is reasonable to me, though over the course of a month that's like...10*2*5*4....$400, for 2 hrs a day, that's almost day care rates. If it was a couple times a week or not the whole month then it would be different.

Maybe figure out what your real needs are, then negotiate with the teen for a month rate. Because giving a lower hourly rate might seem odd but when you explain what the overall payout is, it will seem more lucrative.
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

I think somewhere in the range of $10-$15 an hour is appropriate. If it was like 4 hours a day, I'd pay $10. Since it's only 2 hours a day, I'd pay closer to $15.

Ask the teen what her rate is. It's always helpful to flip these things around. It's also a good lesson for the teen to learn to figure out how valuable her time is and how that translates into money.

$10 seems fine, it's certainly better than minimum wage and I gather she's got nothing else going on if she can commit to just a 2 hour chunk.

I may go with $10/hr and then add extra, at the end of the month, if she has done a good job with taking care of the kids and not having to bother you during the time she's there. If she is watching the kids she should change diapers and help deal with potty training. Any time you're reintroduced into the fray you are going to lose time. A graduating senior should be able to handle the kids COMPLETELY for two hours.

I did mother's helper type stuff when I was 10 and it was basically playing with the person's kid while they cleaned up the house, cooked dinner, etc. I think what you're looking for is a babysitter and you will just so happen to be in the house during that time.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

I might say around $12/hour since you are going to be there and will be handling the "tough" situations. Maybe offer her $25 for the 2 hours, so a nice, even number? If she is taking on more responsibility during that time - like if you can tell the kids were extra work one day, or she starts changing poopies or she makes lunch one day - you can always pay her more for those mornings.

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

I haven't done much babysitting but, around here I think that would be totally acceptable to do $10 an hour with you being there. If I saw a job like that
    I would totally go for it. Especially since there is only 1 under the age of 3 and the rest are Pre-K to K aged.
    Last edited by mom2CodySophia0811; 06-05-2014 at 09:58 AM.
    *** Lindsay ***

I think $10 is fine since you will be there the whole time and dealing with some of the kid stuff and meals. All she has to do is keep them alive and play with them lol. $25 for 2 hours is a good idea too....

Not to hijack but what age is appropriate to be a mother's helper? I have a cousin with a 13yo daughter who I have been thinking about asking. I know I was 14 and babysitting alone for a 5yo and a baby but that was a long time ago.....
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

I have to say I'm just SHOCKED at how much you all pay babysitters...most of which is more per hour than my DH makes, my sister makes, or half the people I know make. Granted it was 15-20 years ago but I was getting only $2 an hour....a date night on Friday or Saturday would have been more like 10-15 for the evening. And I started babysitting at age 12 after my red cross class. Including doing all the diapers myself. Once I was sixteen, I would drive around with others kids in my car AND we would swim at my house (no other adults home).

Kids by me better not expect that much to be a babysitter while in high school....because I wouldn't be paying that much and would just not go out without the kid unless we had relatives visiting.

Now $10 to play with four kids for a few hours a day sounds more than fine to me. I would expect her to do diapers though. She's plenty old enough to be able to change a diaper.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

It depends on your area but here that would be high. I pay my Mother's helper $6/he if I am there, $10/he if I am not. Her normal rate care $2/hour/kid & she is a high school junior. She does all diaper changes, most food prep, folds laundry & pretty much all care but I am there for emergencies & she goes with us to library story time. Here full day care is $15-30/day for unlicensed care. The day care centers are $150/week.
    Julie, DH: W, DS: Mason, GGB Trips Amelia, Ellanor & Noah
    FFS "Baby C" disrupted fost/adopt of sibs Q,Z,J & K 9/10-3/11

And yeah, that $10/hour is more than my hubby makes as a 5th yr certified teacher.
    Julie, DH: W, DS: Mason, GGB Trips Amelia, Ellanor & Noah
    FFS "Baby C" disrupted fost/adopt of sibs Q,Z,J & K 9/10-3/11

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I have to say I'm just SHOCKED at how much you all pay babysitters...most of which is more per hour than my DH makes, my sister makes, or half the people I know make. Granted it was 15-20 years ago but I was getting only $2 an hour....a date night on Friday or Saturday would have been more like 10-15 for the evening. And I started babysitting at age 12 after my red cross class. Including doing all the diapers myself. Once I was sixteen, I would drive around with others kids in my car AND we would swim at my house (no other adults home).

Kids by me better not expect that much to be a babysitter while in high school....because I wouldn't be paying that much and would just not go out without the kid unless we had relatives visiting.

Now $10 to play with four kids for a few hours a day sounds more than fine to me. I would expect her to do diapers though. She's plenty old enough to be able to change a diaper
    I agree with this. I wanted to add the going rate around here per child is $20 per day for a full 8 hour and usually $5- $10 extra per child after that. So if it were an 8 hour day it would be about $35-$50 per day so it would equal out to be $6.25 an hour for an 8 hour day at the most or $4.37 per hour depending on the sitter that is with diapering, food, and all. Its low around here when you factor all of those things. I am re-thinking it as for 4 kids 10 hours per week I would
    probably only charge $50 per week instead of $100 if its an all the time thing VS occasional date night if that makes sense. I would also do the diapering and
    clean up any potty messes.
    Last edited by mom2CodySophia0811; 06-05-2014 at 11:58 AM.
    *** Lindsay ***

I was going by the thinking that if a regular babysitter gets about $15/hr (isn't that what most were saying in the other post about sitter's rates?) then someone who is watching kids when a parent is home would be about half or half plus a bit especially since it's only once/week. I really have no clue as I have never paid someone to watch my kids.

Sometimes when I am watching Suze Orman she has a kid on the'can I afford' it segment and they say they make X amount in allowance an I think it's outrageous! Like $10-20/week!

I think babysitters should at least make around minimum wage. Maybe a mother's helper around $8/hr but I can't imagine going lower than that. I mean, they should make enough to go to a movie which unfortunately is expensive! You can't base it on 30 years ago when movies were $2.
    Last edited by macksmom; 06-05-2014 at 11:53 AM.
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

Oh yeah I don't think $2 an hour is enough or anything (that was for one kid when it was 40 hours a week). There should be some inflation! Just going from $2 to $15 is an awful lot of inflation in 15-20 years.
    I do like the going to the movie as a baseline. I think I was paying $5.75 for a night movie in high school. I think it's $10 locally right now. So I could see paying double what I used to get.

For a few hours date night, I would not pay a high schooler more than $20.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

It also depends on your area too. I would look on Craigslist or care.com to see what other people are charging for a better idea of what's the normal for the
    area of which you live.
    *** Lindsay ***

I should add that our friend is a boy/guy/man (What do you call these kids who are on the brink? LOL) He works for us in our business for $10 an hour from time to time and that is how I got to that number. He has three very young sister who are all the same ages as my kids so he knows how this age is. And he absolutely would not change a diaper. I am totally ok with that actually.

As far as the price of sitters and inflation...OH MY GOSH! I can't agree enough. I would make $20 a night (5-11) and would be stoked back in the day. Now thinking about going out and having to pay a sitter makes me just rent a movie. I would not be able to afford a sitter under those standards. Well, actually I have never looked into a sitter and what it would cost. This is the first time in forever that I don't have a kid attached to my boob.

Thanks for the replys!

Jeanne, mom to Dev0n (6) Isabe11e (5) and C0rbin (3.5) Vio1et (almost 2)

Ok that makes sense.

And yeah I think a lot of teens are working themselves out of babysitting jobs trying to get that much money. We don't go out that much now but if we had to pay what some of you guys are paying, we would be renting a movie and getting chinese takeout for sure!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I think $10/hr is fair. minimum wage is $9.something (here) and I think 4 kids is worth at least minimum wage Because he gets paid that much for other jobs with you it seems fair to continue that wage for others.

Quote Originally Posted by As Is View Post
    And yeah, that $10/hour is more than my hubby makes as a 5th yr certified teacher.
    that is a whole different problem!

Quote Originally Posted by runningmomofmany View Post
    that is a whole different problem!
    True that!! One we face as well.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13