Thread: Preschool schedule and impending birth of baby #2 WWYD?

Default Preschool schedule and impending birth of baby #2 WWYD?

Maiya is currently in preschool for 3 half days- 9 - 12:30.

In order to prepare her for kindergarten, I was planning on upping her attendance in September, to coincide with the school year. I was going to up her to 4 half days, until about April of next year, when I was going to do 5 half days. They have later options (until 3, or until 6), and she tells me she really wants to stay later with her friends, but the kindergarten she will likely go to is only a half day, so I didn't think it was a good idea to put her in full time now, then half time for kindergarten, then full time again for 1st.

However... I then ended up pregnant, and due 9/21! I don't want to put her through too many changes at once, so don't want to up her school schedule at the same time the baby is born, so I will likely start her on her increased schedule in July.

But now I'm torn... I've kept her hours down not because she's not ready for or enjoying school, but because we do SO MUCH together. I like having full days to do things with her, and some afternoons. But with a newborn, we likely won't be doing as much, and I think she may actually get more out of being in school more- possibly even full time. But when the baby is older, like 6 months or so (so, March) I can imagine we'll start doing a lot of activities together again, and that if she were in full time, I would regret it and miss her a lot. Not to mention the huge extra cost of all that extra time! But, I can't put her in full time for just a few months, and then reduce, and then put her in full time again for kindergarten prep, then reduce when she goes to kindergarten, and then increase again for 1st! I can't imagine that's good for her, either.

So what would you do? When I increase her hours in July, what hours would you pick? Full time (5 days a week, 9 - 3), just so she has more to do while I'm home with a baby attached to my boob, and just miss out on her last year before "real" school? Or some kind of in between- maybe 4 half days (9 - 12:30), or even 5 half days? Or even 3 full days, 9 - 3? 4 full days?? What would be the best in between, so she's not stuck home bored with the newborn, but we don't miss out on our last year before kindergarten?

I know I said I didn't think full days were good, because of the decrease for kindergarten, but she does WANT to stay late, and I just see afternoons being so boring for the first few months with a newbie... WWYD?

I think I would increase her before baby then start decreasing when you've gotten into the swing of things. Ava is going to be going from zero to 5 half days starting in August. I would have preferred to ease her in with 3 days but because of the extra stuff she will be doing (speech and OT) they recommended the full five days. Almost all the schools here are full day kindergarten (they are pushing to make it a statewide thing) so I figure it will be tough at first but prepare her for what is to come next year.

I would probably just stick with your original plan and add one half day for her, and then eventually add more. Or, if she is asking to stay later, maybe stay with 3 days but do 3 full days. I found that we got right out there and did a lot when DS was a newborn- way more than I did when DD was first born - because we had to since I had to keep DD busy and entertained.

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

If she wants to stay later I would personally let her if it fits your budget. I wish Cody was in preschool when I had Sophia (though I know Maiya already is with
    her baby brother coming). It was really, really, hard for me to sleep during the day (when Sophia) because he stopped napped at age 3 before I had
    Sophia so if James was working I was miserable all day long because I couldn't "sleep when the baby sleeps". If she really loves being with her friends
    at school I would take full advantage of it and then it will make for an easier transition for Kindergarten. Cody couldn't go to preschool until he
    was potty trained the only real thing he was behind on. It was hard for him to became trained until he was 4 and Sophia was about 6 months
    by that time Sophia was STTN but, it was a rough 4-5 months. Cody wanted to be in school so much but, so many places just don't allow
    for non-potty trained kids to go unless I wanted to pay $400 a month which around here is too much VS a pre-K program at the YMCA
    for $100/ a month. So.. at 4 years old though Cody was accepted into the new public school pre-K program and I can assure you
    I took full advantage of it. There were a few days the nap while Cody was at school and Sophia was napping at home
    was great and Cody loved it so why not?

I don't know exactly what schedule I would do but I would put her in school longer. I was about the same age as Maiya when my sister was born. My mom tried putting me preschool less but the school said I was bored and I ended up basically doing 5 days a week of pre-K. More money which mom didn't like but said it ended up being for the best because she got a lot more time alone to bond with my sister and I got to learn more and be more independent. And since I had my own little thing going on, I wasn't nearly as jealous of the new baby as they thought I might be.
    I would probably do 3 or 4 full days since she wants to stay longer and you have more time between running her back and forth. You still would have weekends together plus 1-2 days during the week. And it's not like you will not see her once she's in K....I mean they have summers off, holidays, random days off for things.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Noe was in preschool 8:30 to 3 this year 5 days a week and I didn't feel like we missed out on much time together. We still had every afternoon together after school, and did plenty. She loved being in school until 3 every day.
    That said, we are now faced with her TK program being only 3 hours per day next year, and I know going down that many hours is going to be hard for her because she so loved the longer school day.
    Maybe four or five half-days would be better so she's used to the hours that she'll have for k. You'll still have a lot of time to do things with her if she's out at noon.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Quote Originally Posted by rachoochoo View Post
    I think I would increase her before baby then start decreasing when you've gotten into the swing of things. Ava is going to be going from zero to 5 half days starting in August. I would have preferred to ease her in with 3 days but because of the extra stuff she will be doing (speech and OT) they recommended the full five days. Almost all the schools here are full day kindergarten (they are pushing to make it a statewide thing) so I figure it will be tough at first but prepare her for what is to come next year.
    Woo, she's going to be a busy girl!

Quote Originally Posted by preciousnd98 View Post
    I would probably just stick with your original plan and add one half day for her, and then eventually add more. Or, if she is asking to stay later, maybe stay with 3 days but do 3 full days. I found that we got right out there and did a lot when DS was a newborn- way more than I did when DD was first born - because we had to since I had to keep DD busy and entertained.
    That's a good point. My only experience with a newborn was with an only child, and I was working (with her, either from home or she was in the office with me) 80 hours a week... It will be very different this time!

Quote Originally Posted by mom2CodySophia0811 View Post
    If she wants to stay later I would personally let her if it fits your budget. I wish Cody was in preschool when I had Sophia (though I know Maiya already is with
    her baby brother coming). It was really, really, hard for me to sleep during the day (when Sophia) because he stopped napped at age 3 before I had
    Sophia so if James was working I was miserable all day long because I couldn't "sleep when the baby sleeps". If she really loves being with her friends
    at school I would take full advantage of it and then it will make for an easier transition for Kindergarten. Cody couldn't go to preschool until he
    was potty trained the only real thing he was behind on. It was hard for him to became trained until he was 4 and Sophia was about 6 months
    by that time Sophia was STTN but, it was a rough 4-5 months. Cody wanted to be in school so much but, so many places just don't allow
    for non-potty trained kids to go unless I wanted to pay $400 a month which around here is too much VS a pre-K program at the YMCA
    for $100/ a month. So.. at 4 years old though Cody was accepted into the new public school pre-K program and I can assure you
    I took full advantage of it. There were a few days the nap while Cody was at school and Sophia was napping at home
    was great and Cody loved it so why not?
    Yes, I am thinking about naps for me, too! I just worry about the decrease. Even if I can afford to keep her in full time, 5 days a week, 9 - 3, her hours will still drop again for kindergarten.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I don't know exactly what schedule I would do but I would put her in school longer. I was about the same age as Maiya when my sister was born. My mom tried putting me preschool less but the school said I was bored and I ended up basically doing 5 days a week of pre-K. More money which mom didn't like but said it ended up being for the best because she got a lot more time alone to bond with my sister and I got to learn more and be more independent. And since I had my own little thing going on, I wasn't nearly as jealous of the new baby as they thought I might be.
    I would probably do 3 or 4 full days since she wants to stay longer and you have more time between running her back and forth. You still would have weekends together plus 1-2 days during the week. And it's not like you will not see her once she's in K....I mean they have summers off, holidays, random days off for things.
    All very good points! The only thing about the normal days off that she'll have is, well, I'm spoiled and like to take her out to things when they're not busy. In other words, not on days every has off from school! And I know it won't last, I was just enjoying it while I could.

Quote Originally Posted by pepperlru View Post
    Noe was in preschool 8:30 to 3 this year 5 days a week and I didn't feel like we missed out on much time together. We still had every afternoon together after school, and did plenty. She loved being in school until 3 every day.
    That said, we are now faced with her TK program being only 3 hours per day next year, and I know going down that many hours is going to be hard for her because she so loved the longer school day.
    Maybe four or five half-days would be better so she's used to the hours that she'll have for k. You'll still have a lot of time to do things with her if she's out at noon.
    Really? Just putting her in school 3 half days feels like it's put a huge cramp in our style. Maybe it's because she goes to bed so early. She gets out at 12:30, we're home about 1. She's ALWAYS starving, even though they feed her lunch, so then we snack. By the time that's done, even if we rush and by some miracle get out right away at 1, that gives us 3 hours, including driving time, because we need to be home at 4. That's when she starts settling down, then we eat around 5, and bedtime starts at 6. I mean, we make it work, but things just feel so much more rushed. Let's just say, I love our full days together! Maybe I'm just spoiled... And like I said, I know that won't last anyway. Maybe it's just time I bite the bullet and accept she is growing up!

And yes, that is my exact concern about putting her in for longer days. Especially if I start in July, and it goes until next August. That's 13 months with longer days, then to drop to half days? I imagine that would be a hard adjustment!

Thank you everyone!!
    Last edited by Krystal5; 06-02-2014 at 11:38 AM.

I did not read the previous response but since she wants to stay later with her friends I would put her MWF 9-3; that's the schedule my boys go and we all love it. It will give you plenty of time for the baby and she will get plenty time with her friends. I do not think that keeping kinder hours at preschool is important at all; they adjust to the new schedule in matter of days. It also sounds to me that you are heavily overthinking it LOL This is really simple, actually, she wants to stay with her friends later, you have other things going, she is adjusting to group school-type setting by going to preschool so whatever you decide 9-12:30/9-4 or 9-6 is all good. As long as she likes it, it is perfect
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Oh, I'm definitely over thinking it, haha. I tend to do that for everything...

Yeah, she'll like anything I put her in. She enjoys school and is doing well. And I know I can put her in any hours I want and it will all work out fine. I'm just looking for what's "best", if there is such a thing! I still have a month left to decide, which is just too much time to think about it and leads to this!

If money were no issue, I might just put her in full time and deal with it. But there is a lot more cost to full time than part time, and I don't want to spend that extra money unless I really think I'll see a benefit, ya know?

Over thinking, for sure!

She definitely goes to bed earlier than Noe - we eat around 7 (when dh comes home) and she goes to bed at 8 (more like 7:30 in winter when it's dark so early). DH comes home from work a bit late so our "afternoons" really last from about 3-7.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Quote Originally Posted by Krystal5 View Post
    Oh, I'm definitely over thinking it, haha. I tend to do that for everything...

Over thinking, for sure!
    I wouldn't know anything about over thinking things......

So really when you break it down, to me it sounds like you would rather have her a full day at home with you vs just the afternoon. She wants a full day at school. Her friends are full days now but in K, sounds like everyone will be half days so that will probably be easier on her to leave when everyone else is leaving. So I would do like Tanya suggested and do 3 full days at school giving you two full days to do fun stuff instead of trying to squeeze things into a few hours after school. Even though K is a half day, I think she will adjust fine. Kids can adapt and most of them in a few days....such as going to school after never having gone or going back after having a whole summer off.
    Really Maiya seems like a pretty easy going, go with the flow kind of kid and not one that is stuck hardcore on routines.
    The one having trouble adjusting I think is going to be mama!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

For me personally, money will be the leading factor. I will just keep her in her current schedule unless the difference in price was no big deal to me. (A couple hundred dollars might be huge for some people and absolutely no biggie for others). Staying with friends in the after hours is nice but I doubt that being there 3 full days will prepare her better for kinder or will provide her with some unimaginably important social contacts. So IMO you need to figure out how much you need that money.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Just to add to everything everyone said: 1. 3 Rd trimester you will be so much more tired which can put a dump on your activities. 2. You don't know how needy your new baby might end up which can result in stress for you and your daughter. 3. She LOVES school - for me it would be important.
    Hope you sort it out soon!

I wouldn't change anything. Baby #2 will just be along with you! I wouldn't miss out on her last year of prek....can't get this time back! She has forever to be in school all day!

Quote Originally Posted by loveNmybelly View Post
    I wouldn't change anything. Baby #2 will just be along with you! I wouldn't miss out on her last year of prek....can't get this time back! She has forever to be in school all day!
    I agree! she can adjust to full day K when she goes just as well as she could now.

This is how I see it too.

I kind of agree with this. I am confused too - you are saying you want to spend time with her in her last year before kinder but isn't what you are considering actually MORE strenuous than kinder? If her kinder is M-F half days I would not put her in a full day. I would not go beyond what the kinder schedule is because then she may as well be in kinder now, you know? Unless I am missing something here?

DD2 was VERY high needs and I was not planning on putting DD1 into preschool until she was 4 but like you mentioned I felt like she needed more than I could provide. She only went 2 days/week from 9-12 and that was plenty to get her out. You'll get out way sooner than 6 months with #2! It's different with #2.

As much as you want her to be able to be kept busy while you may be busy with a newbie I would worry that she could feel like she was shipped off to school while you are home with the new baby. So really I would not change her schedule at all and I would not go up in hours then back down.

ETA: I just reread and I would stick with your plan of upping the days but I would start with 3 days in sept and up it to 4 in april and wait until K and then she will be at 5. It seems like a nice gradual increase imo.
    Last edited by macksmom; 06-03-2014 at 06:53 PM.
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

Don't have time to read all the responses but I wouldn't up her time because of the baby. I have found that it is actually easier to do things in the beginning when the babies are small. Plus, you will miss out on two months of spending time with her while she is the only child. What worked really well for us was that my husband made it a point to do really fun things with my son for the week that he was off after my daughter was born. We then had other family that would come to help too and they would spend lots of time with him over spending time with the new baby.

Thank you all!

I'm still really torn. I haven't decided yet, and luckily I have some time. I really appreciate all your input and feedback!!

it is a hard decision I am sure!

And I have far too much time to think about it. I can't do anything until our house sells and we have know how much money we'll have. That will be a large part of the deciding factor. So while I sit and twiddle my thumbs, my mind wanders over all the possibilities!

Thanks.

What did you decide? I am trying to decide between 3 or 5 days for my DD...

Quote Originally Posted by Krystal5 View Post
    And I have far too much time to think about it. I can't do anything until our house sells and we have know how much money we'll have. That will be a large part of the deciding factor. So while I sit and twiddle my thumbs, my mind wanders over all the possibilities!

Thanks.

We ended up going with 4 days of 9 - 3.

I couldn't justify the cost of 5 full days, and I am just not ready to give up that much time with her! Plus, neither of us are morning people, and getting out of the house is hard to do, so I didn't want to sign up to do that 5 days a week yet! Especially with a newborn / baby.

But, the biggest reason I went until 3, instead of until 12:30, is because 9 - 12:30 is only 3 1/2 hours, and that is not much time to do anything. I could just see getting home, getting the baby to sleep, and then having to wake him up instantly to go get her! So this way, he and I will have longer hours to be one on one. And even before he is born, it's been amazing having more time to do stuff! We just moved and there are a lot of projects to do with this house, and I'm just getting them done way faster with having 6 hours straight.

So, I guess it just seemed like a good compromise. Get her more schooling, more time with friends, and give me and baby more time together, but we still have 3 full uninterrupted days.

Thanks for asking!

Thanks for replying!!!! Great plan.

I think I am going to stick with 3 half days because I really like our two full days together as well. I may start signing her up for after care later in the year to extend her day some.

Thanks again!!!