Thread: Would you be ok with daycare serving...

Default Would you be ok with daycare serving...

Kettle corn (popcorn) to your 2, 3, 4 or 5 year old?

From what I've read, popcorn is a huge, huge, huge choking hazard!! I have a big problem with dd, who is 3 years old, eating it. I just can't see how one teacher can watch 14 kids eat popcorn to make sure they're not choking. Choking is a silent thing so if one kid is truely choking and the teach is grabbing some water or something for another child how in the world do they see this as ok?

Before dd started at this daycare center another mom complained to the state or something about them serving hotdogs and they stopped serving hotdogs. Who do I complain to to get them to stop serving popcorn.....even worse, surgery coated kettle corn!!

The menu for dds school is usually pretty good and I'm super happy with it but this week it's AWFUL!!!! Pasta 2 days in a row (one of which is Mac & cheese), lunch meat with chips and then kettle corn for pm snack, grilled cheese and then s'mores cookies for pm snack. Ugh, I pretty sure I will pick her up prior to the pm snack of kettle corn!! And also for the s'mores cookies!

Nope, I would not be ok with that. Neither the kettle corn, nor the entire menu! Not sure what I'd do about it, though...

I would not be OK and will complain to the teacher and the owner/director.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

DD's preschool does not allow grapes or popcorn, and they go through K (enrichment). I think that is a huge liability. I served DD popcorn pretty early on, but I would go through her bowl and pull out any kernels. I highly doubt the daycare is doing anything like that.

Does the daycare run on a school schedule? It sounds like this week they are using up what they have in the pantry so the nutrition is suffering. Hopefully they get to the grocery store soon and this week's menu improves!

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

IMO, the popcorn is not ok.

Sara (35), wife to Nick (34), mom to Ainsley (2/22/09) and Raegan (1/15/12)
    Friend me on Facebook

I would definitely not be ok with that.

Quote Originally Posted by preciousnd98 View Post
    DD's preschool does not allow grapes or popcorn, and they go through K (enrichment). I think that is a huge liability. I served DD popcorn pretty early on, but I would go through her bowl and pull out any kernels. I highly doubt the daycare is doing anything like that.

Does the daycare run on a school schedule? It sounds like this week they are using up what they have in the pantry so the nutrition is suffering. Hopefully they get to the grocery store soon and this week's menu improves!
    I don't know what you mean by a school schedule. But I know the owner does the grocery shopping once a week and is always so proud that they are GMO free and use organic homemade/homegrown things.

Quote Originally Posted by dunegirl View Post
    I don't know what you mean by a school schedule. But I know the owner does the grocery shopping once a week and is always so proud that they are GMO free and use organic homemade/homegrown things.
    I meant that since it would be the end of the school year, then they may be holding off on grocery shopping. This could be true if their enrollment is going to change with summer starting - more kids coming for the summer months perhaps, and they are holding off until then? I'm not trying to justify it, and I think it is odd that this week's meals have been so different than usual. Just trying to figure out if there is a reason behind it!
    Last edited by preciousnd98; 06-02-2014 at 08:09 AM.

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

I am probably the only one that will say yes but, for a 5 year old not for 2-4. It also depends if they are strongly supervised. I don't want to sound snotty but,
    I am not sure that the director would do anything about it though I wouldn't agree with it under 5. In Kindergarten Cody had popcorn at school but,
    he likes it at home more. We don't have it at home very often maybe a couple of times a year. He is supervised with and has never displayed having
    trouble eating it.
    Last edited by mom2CodySophia0811; 06-02-2014 at 08:26 AM.
    *** Lindsay ***

I think it would be OK for 4-5 year olds (in general) but not for the younger ones. Our kids eat pop-corn regularly and have been for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by impatient View Post
    I think it would be OK for 4-5 year olds (in general) but not for the younger ones. Our kids eat pop-corn regularly and have been for a while.
    I agree with this. Though I prefer the low salt ones over kettle corn. But that's my preference. I honestly feel sorry for daycares. They have to cater to the wishes and desires and food restrictions of so many different family situations and cultural upbringings. No wonder why some in our area have gone to making parents responsible for allll food and snacks for their child.

Quote Originally Posted by preciousnd98 View Post
    I meant that since it would be the end of the school year, then they may be holding off on grocery shopping. This could be true if their enrollment is going to change with summer starting - more kids coming for the summer months perhaps, and they are holding off until then? I'm not trying to justify it, and I think it is odd that this week's meals have been so different than usual. Just trying to figure out if there is a reason behind it!
    Oh I see.

I can't decide if I want to talk to the direct about this or if I call the licensing people or what. And then if I talk to the director, what do I say so I don't sound like a b!tch?

I don't think it's *****y to say to the director that you are uncomfortable with your child being served popcorn because if is a choking hazard. I think it's worse to call and report them without speaking to them directly first. If I found out that they went against my wishes and served it to my child anyway--then I would report them.

http://www.med.umich.edu/yourchild/topics/choking.htm

http://www.healthychildren.org/Engli...revention.aspx

I would print them up and talk to the director about the popcorn. Those are good sources and it's clear that they should not be serving popcorn.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by kmrk336 View Post
    I don't think it's *****y to say to the director that you are uncomfortable with your child being served popcorn because if is a choking hazard. I think it's worse to call and report them without speaking to them directly first. If I found out that they went against my wishes and served it to my child anyway--then I would report them.

If I tell them to not give popcorn to my dd but then she sees everyone else eating it she will be super upset that she can't have any. So how do I get them to not serve it at all?

No, I wouldn't be ok with it. Popcorn is on every choking hazard list I have ever seen. That should just be a given. I would say something. As always, tone of voice and the approach is key.

If I tell them to not give popcorn to my dd but then she sees everyone else eating it she will be super upset that she can't have any. So how do I get them to not serve it at all?
    I think it is a good idea to print out the links Jennifer suggested (maybe they will decide not to serve it at all).

I do not know if you can get them to stop serving it altogether but if you do not want your DD to have it, they need to respect it. I would send a replacement snack that they can serve her when they serve the pop-corn.

FWIW, DS2 has been eating popcorn since he was 2 with no problem until he was 3.5 and choked on one. He is 4.5 now and I am giving it back to him. If I were a daycare provider I will not be giving , popcorn, grapes and other choking hazards until the kids are 4.5 at least. Our pedi says to stay away from those until they are 4.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

I would not be ok with it. I give my 3 year old popcorn, but I sit right there with him. I would not want him eating it unless someone was right there watching him, which doesn't happen in a daycare.

I called the director and she said she would talk it over with the owner, who buys the food and prepares the menu. I'm the only parent who has expressed any concern over this!! DH and I decided we will pick up dd before the pm snack on popcorn days.

I called the director and she said she would talk it over with the owner, who buys the food and prepares the menu. I'm the only parent who has expressed any concern over this!! DH and I decided we will pick up dd before the pm snack on popcorn days.
    I am surprised especially for the 2-4 crowd!
    *** Lindsay ***

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by impatient View Post
    This. My DD had popcorn occasionally as a snack at preschool. The teacher always sat at the table with the kids, too. The parent helper would help serve food and drinks. I feel very lucky that our preschool is very mindful about healthy snacks...no cookies or sweet treats and only juice on occasion. DD1 went to a s u meme preschool one year that served Oreo, teddy grahams, etc for snacks all t he time, and Hawaiian punch...in the morning!! Ugh.

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

i give my kids popcorn. but i would be upset if someone else did it in a group setting without me there to supervise my child eating it. i worry about them choking.

I worked at a daycare where the owner would serve things a lot that I wasn't comfortable with (raw veggies, nuts, popcorn, etc.) Now I do give popcorn to my dd but I always break it into tiny pieces before giving it to her and making sure that there aren't any hard pieces either. I know others who give popcorn to their young children and don't bat an eye so I know everyone has different levels of comfort when it comes to choking hazards and food.

The director said that she brings in her own food "a lot of the time for her dd" who attends there. Make me wonder why. If even the director doesn't want her kid having the food provided then why should I. I guess it doesn't matter since my dd hardly ever eats the food they provide anyway!

Nope. My trio are almost 6 and we have just started letting them have a little here and there. Up until recently it was on the no list.

~*~Katrina~*~ Momma to Xander, Hayden & Lily (6) and Jericho (3 1/2)

Our licensing rules here in WI prohibit popcorn as a snack for home day cares because of mixed age groups. Hot dogs and grapes are to be cut.

Popcorn was a "no" way back 25yrs ago in SC when i first started working at a daycare. The sister of our director had a child almost die from popcorn when he was 2, and had permanently damaged his vocal chords. So naturally she was super concerned about popcorn. So no, i wouldnt serve it, and would not be ok with my preschooler eating it in a group setting like that.