Thread: Letrozole/Femara users

Default Letrozole/Femara users

So I know I am not technically out yet, but I am a planner so I am planning our next...and last, try.
    I called the RE and he is OK with me doing Letrozole, which is the generic Femara I guess!!! We didn't discuss what my dose will be though.

My last try with oral meds was Clomid 100mg for 5 days...which I did not respond well to on my last two times on it, only 1 mature follie each time. Though the trio are Clomid babies, but I was 29 then and was 32 when I tried it last.

Since I didn't respond well to 100 mg of Clomid, do you think I should take the 2.5mg or see if he will go 5mg on the Letrozole? Or higher?

I'm just wondering how close in potency Clomid and Letrozole are...so if 100mg of Clomid didn't work well for me, how high on the Letrozole should I try to get him to go? Or since I plan to do a 3 or 4 days of 75iu Gonal F piggy backed on to it will the 2.5 be enough?

Sorry...I know I should ask him all this, but it is so hard to get a hold of him sometimes.

~*~Katrina~*~ Momma to Xander, Hayden & Lily (6) and Jericho (3 1/2)

I don't have any wisdom to share, but keeping my for you!!

Stalking!!!

I may be looking at starting medicated cycles w/injects in the coming months.
    Laura (33) DH (37) x 4

I can't compare the Clomid vs Letrozole since it's been so long since I was on Clomid - I know I was on a low dose, though. I've been on Letrozole for a few months now. Like it sooo much better because I don't have the side effects that I remember from Clomind. I did 2.5mg CD3-7 for 2 months (1st month with trigger), 2.5mg CD5-9 for 1 month and now 5mg CD5-9 this month. We initially didn't go up because I seemed to respond well hence the change in days I took it instead.
    Tiffany (33) David (33) STC 7 years. Unexplained infertility. History of Endometriosis, Corrected Septate Uterus & possible PCOS. DH=Exceptional

I didn't do well on Clomid. I only responded once to Clomid and it was the highest dose. So once I actually met with my RE he put me on Femara and I got pregnant the first month. I don't remember what dose I started with though. I have heard that people who don't normally respond well to Clomid can do well on Femara. I hope it works well for you!
    *Sara-28**Lee-28* 11/21/09 DX with PCOS 05/10

**TTC since 08/01/14. 1500mg of Metformin and 2.5mg Femara**

Thanks ladies!

Quote Originally Posted by MrsRiv View Post
    I can't compare the Clomid vs Letrozole since it's been so long since I was on Clomid - I know I was on a low dose, though. I've been on Letrozole for a few months now. Like it sooo much better because I don't have the side effects that I remember from Clomind. I did 2.5mg CD3-7 for 2 months (1st month with trigger), 2.5mg CD5-9 for 1 month and now 5mg CD5-9 this month. We initially didn't go up because I seemed to respond well hence the change in days I took it instead.
    How many mature follies were you getting at the different doses. I am hoping for 2, I would rather have 3 than 1, but 2 is my best case scenario. Also what changes did you find from taking it CD3-7 vs. CD5-9?

Completely off topic, when are you testing? My chart looked very similar to yours with DS2, I had zero hopes but there he is
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

I was on 7.5mg of femara. The RE said studies have shown women with PCOS do well on femara at that dosage. The first cycle, it worked too well. I ovulated on my own the night before my follie check and missed our window for the IUI. Didn't get PG and have no idea how many follies there were.

The second cycle was a bust. I had no follies at our checks but my FF chart says I may have ovulated late in that cycle (like really late). Still didn't get a BFP though. After that cycle, my RE was ready to move me onto IVF. I don't respond well to Clomid or Femara apparently.

Good think the cruise and mojitos worked, right?
    Jen (34), DH (36), DS (3), Baby #2 EDD 10/21/14

Lost a loved baby 9/2012

At my RE's, 5mg *is* the starting dose . I don't think it'd be unreasonable at all to request the dose be bumped if he starts you out on 2.5mg, especially since it's your last go and you're on such a low dose of injectables. You also don't seem to be at risk of over-stimming considering your response this time and as horrible as a cancelled cycle is, it's way better to have to start over than to move forward with inadequate med doses and end up with a failed cycle .

Still hoping and praying this cycle works out !

I totally get the planning ahead...it feels so defeatist, but it's a necessary evil with med cycles !!!!!

Haha man I wish I could go the cruise and mojito route ;)

I have tested every morning the last 3 days all BFNs. I will probably test again tomorrow or the next day, beta is on the 31st, which I have to go to if I want to try again right away in June.

Exactly Kelly. Thanks everyone!

I started at 5 but the 7.5 mg dose worked better for my ovaries. But I never got pg- I needed ivf for that. But it seems to work well for so many people! Hope this does it for you
    STC Since 5/2012
    1/20/13 7/7/13

I would say if you feel better about doing the higher dose, do it! If you feel like that is going to give you the best results, I would just talk to your doc about it!
    *Sara-28**Lee-28* 11/21/09 DX with PCOS 05/10

**TTC since 08/01/14. 1500mg of Metformin and 2.5mg Femara**

Quote Originally Posted by TripMomma View Post
    How many mature follies were you getting at the different doses. I am hoping for 2, I would rather have 3 than 1, but 2 is my best case scenario. Also what changes did you find from taking it CD3-7 vs. CD5-9?
    On the 2.5mg I had 1 mature and 1 really close the first round. The 2nd round of 2.5mg I had 2 really close again. I didn't have an US the third round so I'm not sure about that one - I'm not sure I even count that cycle since I had a long than usual one. I have an US on Monday for this 5mg round - I'll let you know the results.
    Tiffany (33) David (33) STC 7 years. Unexplained infertility. History of Endometriosis, Corrected Septate Uterus & possible PCOS. DH=Exceptional

Just had my mid-cycle US. I have 2 20+ follicles and 6 smaller ones (even divided by each side - so 1 mature +3 smaller each side). So the most mature follies from each attempt. My lining was still great, too. I didn't really feel any changes in moving the days I took it.

Great scan! Good luck Tiffany!

My RE does plan for me to do 5mg, didn't even have to ask ;) Now if these cysts would just go away so I can get this show on the road.