Thread: Flying?

Default Flying?

My little sister in my sorority is getting married in late July in Pennsylvania. She is the last of our group to get married, and she is one of those girls who is a super loyal friend and has always gone to everyone else's wedding. Originally, DH and I decided not to go to her wedding because for us, it is a cross-country flight and I'll be almost 28 weeks pregnant. I was going to use that as my excuse...

...except that today I found out two of my other sorority sisters are going who are also pregnant. One is due 3 days before me and the other 3 weeks after me. Granted, they aren't flying across 3 time zones, but they're still flying. Plus, she is MY little sis, not theirs. So now I feel like I have to go. My OB said I can fly until 32 weeks but with my likelihood of GD, I was trying to be more careful.

I've booked the hotels but not flights. What would you do if you were me? She would be so hurt if I wasn't there but I want to make sure I'm doing nothing harmful for Bean...
    Jen (34), DH (36), DS (3), Baby #2 EDD 10/21/14

Lost a loved baby 9/2012

I flew from michigan to St. Louis Missouri at 28 weeks pregnant. It wasn't too bad. I made sure to wear support stockings do I wouldn't get a blood clot. And I think I needed a seat belt extender, because I was fluffy to begin with. I think if I were you, and you can afford to go, then I would go.

I've flown during every pregnancy, except for my m/c!

The only thing that would (and did) concern me was the body scanner. I refused them and got a pat down by a female TSA officer. No big deal.

I'm not familiar with any relationship or special concern regarding GD and flying.

I can't think of any real issue with you flying to the wedding. It sounds like you really want to be there for her, so I say go for it!
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Popping in...but I would go. I flew for 12 hours each way with one layover, when I was 25 weeks pregnant and again at 28 weeks. My OB okayed it first. We live in Hawaii, and we flew to Massachusetts, doesn't get any farther than that and still be in the US, lol. I refused the Xray scanner thing at security, and they just had a female agent come pat me down. The only real issue I had was that we were in inside seats and the person on the isle fell asleep so I wasn't able to walk around much at all and as a result my legs got very swollen. They were fine by the next day though. So just get up and walk around as much as you can and stay hydrated. You'll be fine!
    Jennifer

I would go. Obviously you don't want to overdo it during the trip so you should take it easy, but if your DH is going with, it sounds like he could take on some of the load of dragging luggage around and such. I'm most certain you'll be just fine. I wouldn't want to miss out on that trip!
    Dada (27) Mama-Jessie (26) Orion (4) Kadence (2) Osiris (Uterus)

I would go. I went on 4 or 5 trips while pregnant, one of them overseas and two cross country ones. My latest one was at 31 weeks to NYC and we walked for five days straight. I wanted to go to the Caribbean at 36 weeks but my doctor didn't let me!

Quote Originally Posted by khadijavye View Post
    I've flown during every pregnancy, except for my m/c!

The only thing that would (and did) concern me was the body scanner. I refused them and got a pat down by a female TSA officer. No big deal.

I'm not familiar with any relationship or special concern regarding GD and flying.

I can't think of any real issue with you flying to the wedding. It sounds like you really want to be there for her, so I say go for it!
    I agree with this. My midwife is ok with me flying up until 36 weeks. But yes I would refuse the body scanner too!

Brenda

28 weeks is totally fine to fly. I'm sure all will be fine unless you have some special condition.

Thanks ladies! Where can I buy the compression socks?

Lost a loved baby 9/2012

I remember akhiker/Erica bought some good ones off amazon! OT but when is your anatomy scan? I can't wait to hear the gender of your little one!

Me - Jess DH - Matt
    September 2013

I think I saw some over the weekend at a local running store.

If you are not comfortable going, I say don't go. Everyone's pregnancy is different, and just because your other sisters are going doesn't mean you can/should. Try to let go of the guilt and do what is best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by JessieBee1027 View Post
    I remember akhiker/Erica bought some good ones off amazon! OT but when is your anatomy scan? I can't wait to hear the gender of your little one!
    June 11th

Lost a loved baby 9/2012