Thread: going rate for babysitter?

Default going rate for babysitter?

I know it varies greatly by region. We live near Philly in a fairly expensive part of the country. I'd ask my friends, but it seems that it's not something that is really discussed (money and finances). My boss is asking me to work full-time for 3 weeks in July while someone is out for surgery. (I work from home now about 20-30 hours and I just asked to cut back). Right now I work during naps and late at night since my work is flexible, or I try to work when MIL visits. As it is 20-30 hours is too much. My house is falling apart, and I get 4 hours of sleep each night. There is no way I could work full-time without a babysitter, but after taxes are taken out, the babysitter might be making more than me! If she offers to pay for a babysitter, then I may consider it (though I really don't want to work 40 hours/week, esp during my son's last summer before kinder!)

So, if you could give me a range of what a babysitter would cost for boys, I'd appreciate it!

https://www.sittercity.com/babysitte...alculator.html
    hope this helps.. my 'babysitters' are grandparents and aunts that fight over who gets to watch them next... and for free.

We live in NY and pay $12 for one kid. She wanted $15 but we told her we could only pay $12 and she obliged.

$5-6 an hour where I live. I read an article that said a teen babysitter should make enough in two hours to see a night movie.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I live in very rural California, have a 6 month old, and our baby sitter is a 19 year old daughter of a friend that has very little babysitting experience. We pay $40 for a 6-hour day, 2 days per week. Alex spends a lot of the day napping still, and the babysitter isn't expected to do anything else, so she spends a lot of the day watching TV. Another babysitter in town is very experienced, certified in a lot of infant development areas, and charges $15/hour. Our daycares in town charge $40 for an 8 hour day. What you pay depends on your region, who is doing the babysitting, and the child(ren) they are expected to babysit, and any other duties.

Erica 34, DH 35, DS 10 months old. STC for 4+ years, Diagnosed DOR 4/2011, mom to 4 , Barbados IVF March 2013, Surprise BFP Sept 2014!!!

I live on the central coast in CA and the going rate for my 3 kids is $12-15/hr. I usually have her for 4hrs a week and occastional date nights. If I needed her for an extended amount of time (like a weekend/overnight or what your needing) I'd work out a set amount for the time vs an hourly rate. We've used our sitter for a weekend and she and I agreed to $150/24 hr period vs the $15/hr.
    Last edited by caligirl07; 05-30-2014 at 12:59 PM.
    Katie~
    DD1 (7) DD2 (4) DS1 (22 months) Baby #4 EDD 7/13/14

We pay our high school girl $10-$12/hour for our 2. We pay more when she has to give them dinner and do bedtime for both kids (she often doesn't come till DS is in bed already). Most around here pay $15/hour for 2. But if you are hiring someone for all day, I think the rate is different. I think the rate per day comes out to a little less than that.

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

Here in home daycare is $100/ week for 5 days daycare centers range between $125-$175 per week. Nowhere close to $7.25/ an hour unless you work
    in a daycare facility or have a license most people charge $25/ per day some do as low as $15. This is in SW Indiana where the median average income for
    a family of 4 is $40,000.
    Last edited by mom2CodySophia0811; 05-30-2014 at 01:39 PM.
    *** Lindsay ***

We live in a pricey area... Here for 2 kids it's more like $20/hr but I usually use more experienced people and high school kids would be less I think. Why don't u try using care.com and see how much people want? If you are working from home, it's easier to trust someone

I live in the expensive part of OC and experienced sitter is $12-14 for one, $15-17 for 2. At that rate, the sitters are supposed to do good activities, little to no TV, bath, bedtime if parents need it etc. There are other people such as highschoolers, fellow moms, college students who would do it for less $8-10 for 2 kids but you should expect less of quality which would not matter too much if it is rare enough.

Quote Originally Posted by emma1978 View Post
    We live in a pricey area... Here for 2 kids it's more like $20/hr but I usually use more experienced people and high school kids would be less I think. Why don't u try using care.com and see how much people want? If you are working from home, it's easier to trust someone
    Thanks. It would just be for a very short period of time, so I would be ok with a high schooler, though I am unsure if a high schooler could handle my older son. If I move forward, I do plan on using care.com, but there is a fee to use it, right? Right now I just want to see if it would even be worth it to look into that right now before signing up.

Quote Originally Posted by i.<3.cheesysmiles View Post
    Thanks. It would just be for a very short period of time, so I would be ok with a high schooler, though I am unsure if a high schooler could handle my older son. If I move forward, I do plan on using care.com, but there is a fee to use it, right? Right now I just want to see if it would even be worth it to look into that right now before signing up.
    Make sure you look for a care.com promo code when you sign up so you can get a discounted price and cancel it as soon as you find someone...they will renew your membership automatically after it expires.

$15/hr where I live in a metropolitan suburb.

$10/hr per kid.
    Laura (33) DH (37) x 4