Thread: 9-5 working mamas...

Default 9-5 working mamas...

with husbands who work similar schedules:

what time do you eat dinner? What time do your kiddos go to bed?

I get home about 5PM every day. My daughter is napping so I relax for a few minutes, I try to get dinner started as early as possible but sometimes it's about 7PM before we are eating. Her usual bed time is 8, but pushed back often because I hate her eating then going straight to bed. Do you cook a lot of crock pot meals? Do you make quick, easy meals? How do you make sure they're nutritious? How do you make sure there is adequate time between eating and allowing food to digest before bed?
    DD 05/14/2013

It is typically the same time for us. I work 8-4 and usually get home around 4:45-5. I do not do a lot of crock pot meals. I usually take something out that morning to thaw. We do a lot of chicken (breast, thighs). Baking is my cooking preference. With that, I usually cook a vegetable and a starch (potatoes, rice, etc.). Nothing fancy. I do make spaghetti and red beans from time to time. To the spaghetti, I usually add sausage and make a meat sauce. I use jar sauce as a base and add my own seasonings, tomato sauce/paste, sugar to make it taste more homemade. I also use Blue Runner red beans and add sausage and seasonings to our liking. Our meals are very simple and nothing extravagant. With such a time crunch, it is all I can do. Hope this helps!
    Julie (Mom of 3)

I have the same basic schedule. We do not eat until around 7. We eat a lot of chicken - baked chicken breasts, chicken strips, etc. and veggies. Usually a starch too - baked potatoes, rice, pasta. Other frequent main dishes are spaghetti, turkey burgers, meat loaf. Occasionally I will use the crockpot for BBQ pulled meats, or pot roast. I use a lot of frozen veggies for convenience.

Bed time is usually between 8:30 & 9.
    Me (26), DH (31), DD (3), and DS (1).

I get home at 6ish and bedtime routine starts at 7, with 15 min of homework in there. It's...incredibly tight. I do all the meal prep before I leave in the morning (I leave at 7ish) and we eat as close to 6:30 as possible. We do homework while things are cooking. Then straight to bed, pretty much. We eat things that can go together quick - main dish salad, omelettes and scrambles, stir fries. I often make soup or chili on the weekend and we eat that one night. It takes a lot of planning and organization to pull it off. Plan the week's meals on the weekend, do the grocery shopping and as much of the prep as possible then, and whatever you do when you walk in the door DON'T SIT DOWN! Lol. (I don't work 5 days a week. If I did, I would drop dead from exhaustion.)

I get home usually around 5:15 as well as my husband because we work together. We usually are eating by 6 depending on what I make. My daughter is usually in bed by 9. She goes to work with my husband and I so I am not usually as strict with her bed time as most mamas probably are.
    *Sara-27**Lee-27* 11/21/09 DX with PCOS 05/10

**TTC since 08/01/14. 1500mg of Metformin and 2.5mg Femara**

I don't have a kid yet but have to get dinner in early because my DH likes to take as close to a 3 hour nap before work if he can and likes to be in bed just after 7pm. So I usually walk in the door just after 5pm and goal is to be eating by 6pm. I do NOT sit down when I walk in the door. I let the dogs out and change out of the work clothes and get dinner going. I tend to repeat meals during the week. Most weeks we have a spaghetti night (and that is jarred sauce and boxed pasta during week). We have a taco night which cooks up pretty fast. A homemade mac and cheese night with broccoli....now that I have it down, it's done in less than 45 minutes. Chicken night....45 minutes. Something like breaded pork chops on the stove is like 5-6 minutes per side. Last night was cheeseburgers, veggie and steak fries. Total time is about 35 minutes.
    meals that take longer to cook likes soups, chili, stuffed peppers, lasagna, taco lasagna, homemade pot pie, roasts.....those are all weekend meals and when I do something like that, I get leftovers that either are frozen or a second dinner a few days later.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I don't work 9-5 per se - usually it's more but using that general schedule... I get home around 6:30 or 7pm. I make dinner so we're eating by 7:30 or 8pm. My son has likely eaten already, either with our nanny or b/c my husband has fed him. He's usually so hungry, though, that he'll still eat with us again, too. He goes to bed around 9pm (well, he sleeps around 9:30pm. Earlier would be nicer but that's always been his natural schedule.)

One or both of us end up doing work after dinner so the other, hopefully, gets to play with our son. Then we take turns putting him to bed (barring any pressing work assignments).

We do have time between dinner and bed, but that's usually b/c we want to spend time with him. I hadn't thought about it re: digestion, per se. Meals... rarely crockpot stuff; my husband is paranoid about leaving hot stuff clooking when no one's around so i only use that when I'm home. I guess I mix homemade with some pre-made things, e.g., pesto-marinated uncooked chicken from trader joe's becomes the base for sandwiches with Alexia sweet potato fries and green beans... or i make a cajun pasta... or lamb/beef keema over rice.... or fajitas/make-your-own-soft-tacos (using a frontera grill sauce base)... Or chicken parmigiana with trader joe's arrabiata sauce... So semi-homemade?

I have 2 kids and both dh and I work full time. I usually get home with my son around 6 pm and feed him (my nanny helps a bit- she watches my dd from home). I usually make quick meals ( lots of chicken, pastas, premade sauces etc). Dh arrives around 7 pm and he and I eat, kids nibble something with us and the around 7:30, we give our dog a quick walk and start process of doing bed time and usually both are in bed around 8:30, hopefully earlier. Dh goes to gym in our basement occasionally or we watch a show after kids are in bed. Our lives are so exhausting!

I get home around 5:3pm. Most days DH will at least has e started cooking something. I make side dishes or whatever needs done. We have eaten by 6:15 then it's homework and bath. Bed is at 8 with both kids asleep by 8:30 most nights. They have to be up at 6:15 so that's late enough for them. It's not fun but it works.

I get home around 5:30 and DH gets home around 6. We typically eat around 7:30. DH does almost all of the cooking. This time of year we do a lot a grilling. During the winter we do easy things like burgers & mac & cheese or tacos. We start bath for DS1 around 8:30 and he is usually in bed by 9:15. DS2 is only 3 months so he isn't really on a schedule.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I don't work 9-5. I usually am out the door by 4:30 or 5 AM and am home by 4:30 or 5 or 5:30 PM, but I only work 3 days a week. My DH works later than I do, and he's not available until bedtime (or later) anyway. I make two meals on the days when I'm at work and I'm cutting it close, one meal for the kids and one meal for the grow-ups, after they go to bed. It pretty much doubles my workload, but it ensures the kids get their food and go to bed on time. On days when I'm rushed, they often just get peanut butter sandwiches or leftovers plus a ton of fruit, family-style, and cubed cheese, thin slices of sautéed chicken breast.

I start getting them ready for bed between 6:30 and 7 and they fall asleep between 7:00 and 8:00. Hopefully. Then I start cooking the adult dinner, start doing laundry, take care of the chores, set out the clothes for the next day, and try to respond to APA posts (like now).

I try to get as much homework done on weekends (thankfully our teacher this year sends the full week of homework home on Fridays) so that I don't have to deal with it on weeknights. I don't have time. At all.

12. Default

I leave at 6:30am and the kids and I make it home at around 6pm. We typically eat between 6:30 and 7pm when DH gets home and when dinner is done.
    Sarah (31) & DH Matt (35)