Thread: Cold medicine recommendations for adults?

Default Cold medicine recommendations for adults?

Ladies, do you all have any particular recommendations for cold medicines? I've been taking Maximum Strength MucinexD and I just don't think it's helping. When my husband goes to the store here in a little bit, he's going to get me some Nyquil so at least I can get some sleep -- Nyquil knocks me out for a couple of hours at least -- but I've not heard good things about Nyquil insofar as it working for my congestion. So I thought I'd ask here if anyone has any better suggestions.
    Lynne, Grandma to three beautiful girls and one handsome little man!

For me Tylenol Cold is far the best I've had sure you might need to take it more often than Mucienex D but, it works so well for me. I've tried about
    everything. Zinc supplements (like Zycam or generic Zycam) can also help get rid of it quicker. If you have a Dollar Tree look there too. I about crapped
    when I saw Zycam there for a $1 VS $10 a Wal-Mart.
    *** Lindsay ***

I always loved Alka Seltzer - Cold. I feel it works fast too, I guess because it dissolves and is ingested quicker than pills. Hope you feel better soon!
    Julie (Mom of 3)

I can't take Alka Seltzer or effervescent stuff like it because it irritates my hiatal hernia. I think we have some Tylenol Cold that Erin took. I'll try that and see what happens. Thanks, Lindsay!

the only thing i think actually works is the real sudafed. I think you can still get it in VA, just have to ask for it at the pharmacy counter and show your ID.

I like Nyquil to knock me out in the liquid form. For some reason, the pill form doesn't work nearly as well. I also take Tylenol Cold for daytime.

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

Yes, you can still get the real sudafed from the pharmacy counter, and if all I had was congestion, I'd be taking that. But I also have the coughing and chest congestion, and sudafed doesn't work on that.

Sudafed is the only thing that actually gives me relief, especially for congestion.
    Dada (27) Mama-Jessie (26) Orion (4) Kadence (2) Osiris (Uterus)

Tylenol Cold and Flu Severe Nighttime (you can get the non-drowsy daytime variety too)...I think it works better than Nyquil, but we use that too .

really praying you find something that helps...feel better soon!!!!!
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

OMG I took Tylenol Cold at around 4:30 this afternoon. It helped SO much more than the MucinexD did! But yeah, I think I'll go out and get the nighttime one to help me sleep, too.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceBabe View Post
    OMG I took Tylenol Cold at around 4:30 this afternoon. It helped SO much more than the MucinexD did! But yeah, I think I'll go out and get the nighttime one to help me sleep, too.
    Great news!
    *** Lindsay ***

Glad it worked. I hope you are feeling better this morning!

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

Yup, I think Tylenol Cold is the best...so glad you found something that helped !!!

How did last night go? Were you able to get some sleep?

praying you turn a corner and start feeling much better asap!

I do feel much less congested today. I'm still coughing and my ears are still clogged, but I'm getting better. If today goes like the past two days, I'll have a fever again this afternoon around 4:00, but I'll have the house to myself at that point and can go back to sleep.

Really hoping and praying you're on the mend and able to get lots of tlc and r&r !