Thread: WWYD...older child and car seat

Default WWYD...older child and car seat

DD will be 11y/o in June (she'll be in 6th grade next year). She is 53.5" (but short-torsoed) and 60lbs. The vehicle shoulder strap does not fit her properly and a backless booster puts her head well above the back of the seat. She obviously is not thrilled with the idea of being in a high back booster (I would buy the same seat I have for my other kids...Graco Nautilus which has a 100lb/57" limit), and although her feelings about it are important to me, her safety is more important.

We have a 15-passenger van (wide base so less of a roll-over risk, but the risk is still higher than avg) and I feel our safest option for her is a high back booster using the vehicles' shoulder strap. We do take longish trips, especially during the summer so we spend a lot of time on the expressway also (ha, just driving the 3miles into town involves getting on the expressway).

Anyone else using or considering using a high back booster for a child this age? Any recommendation for a seat other than the Nautilus that might have a higher height limit? Seriously, if I could I'd put her in a 5pt harness, but she's pretty thankful for the 1.5" she missed the limit by .

I'd appreciate thoughts, opinions, and considerations since a lot of you are far more knowledgeable in this area than I am and you all may think of things I wouldn't !
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

What about something like the Britax Parkway? http://www.britaxusa.com/car-seats/parkway-sgl-2013

It doesn't look like a "kid's car seat." I'm sure your 11 year old doesn't want to be in a car seat that is just like her younger siblings. I don't know if this would be enough of a difference to ease the sting of still being "small" and/or if the cost difference is too much. It has a higher height limit of 63"
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

I have to get a new car seat for DS2 and I've always stuck with Britax, but the cost is SO much that I'm eying the Nautilus. How do you feel about it so far? I know you've expressed your love of Britax before.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

I do like the Nautilus...it is a really really good fit for my kids and our vehicles . Even the two older kids (6.5 and 7) who were a bit leery about being back into a 5pt harness really like their new seats. I haven't put them through the true test of a long trip yet, but we have one coming up in early June. I did have them "pretend to be asleep" to see what their body/heads would do when they're completely relaxed and I'm very happy with how the seat supports them. And it is the most stable seat I've used so far...typically once the seat is buckled into the van it still feels like there's too much "wiggle", but these seats don't shift as much or as easily.

I love the Britax seat you posted!!! Seriously, it looks perfect for all the reasons you mentioned! I love that the height limit is so high...LOLOL, it would actually work for me !! Anyway, I showed dd and she does like it better than her sibs' seats.

The price tag isn't bad...it's only about $20 more than the Nautilus which is fantastic! The reviews look good too, but they always are with Britax. I was at this site earlier, not sure why I didn't see this seat...so glad you shared !

I will leave as I think an 11 year would be fine in a backless booster unless your state has more strict regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2CodySophia0811 View Post
    I will leave as I think an 11 year would be fine in a backless booster unless your state has more strict regulations.
    MI car seat regulations aren't very stringent so legally, we'd actually be fine putting her in a regular seat belt since she's older than 8yrs (which is what she's in now). I'm just feeling like she's not very safe because she's so tiny.

I definitely don't judge anyone for the choices they make for their family within legal parameters and I'm open to *all* thoughts/opinions for sure .

LOL, Dorcas, you should be a sales associate...I bought the Britax Parkway this afternoon . DD actually really likes it !!

Quote Originally Posted by mom2CodySophia0811 View Post
    The problem with a backless booster is that there is no head support. If the booster puts the child's head above the back of the seat they would actually be safer in the belt alone than in the booster. A high back booster insures that the seat belt fits correctly and that their head/neck are protected.

My almost 10yr old has a backless booster, but we have headrests. Kelly must drive a fullsized van which doesn't.