Thread: Why our children don't listen to us

Thumbs up Why our children don't listen to us

Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

Interesting!

Hmm, interesting! Thanks for sharing!
    Jennifer

Very interesting, indeed. I've never put a "name" to it, but I have noticed this with Katie and with Nathan, and even with myself, if I'm honest. We often have to turn off the TV when we want the kids to do something, like putting on their pajamas, because they don't even hear us talking to them, and then also because invariably if we do get their attention, they'll start to do as we ask, but then they get too distracted by the TV to follow through. I've noticed that when I'm reading, DH and Erin can be having a conversation and I am totally oblivious to what they're saying.
    Last edited by LanceBabe; 05-26-2014 at 05:11 AM.
    Lynne, Grandma to three beautiful girls and one handsome little man!

Ugh.. DH does this stuff of not paying attention while on the phone or watching TV. I have more patience with the kids but, I usually turn off the TV if I have something important that needs their attention. I hate all these new gadgets like e-readers, I-POD's, and do-dads, I've should have been born much earlier. This article makes complete sense of course kids and adults are going to be distracted with digital entertainment but, not everyone is the same. My dad can break away from the TV easily and so can but, brother needs a push and he is like "Sorry I was distracted". I think it varies by age and personality. I find that my kids can follow my instructions better when outside if they are playing with chalk or just running around in the yard. Though I am out there with them I emphasize how important it is to keep on the sidewalk for safety and not running around on the road. I don't get upset if they are distracted while watching TV I just shut it offand they are like "Okay back to plant Earth". Sophia even being two impresses me- she can break away from the TV if I just say her name once and put away her clothes. I never would imagined a two year old can do that. Cody will if he sees Sophia do it but, if its just Cody and I have to to turn off the TV. Again... I think its a personality thing but, the article is very honest.
    *** Lindsay ***

I've heard about this but I didn't think of it as a developmental issue, that is very interesting.
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

Thanks for sharing
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

I think many adults have this stretched way into their life time. Don't forget pregnant women and older people - there are many contributing factors. It is just reassuring to know for many parents that the child is not just being obnoxious or "difficult" - it is something that our body does.
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook