Thread: How interesting...

Default How interesting...

That Cody is such a disturbance to his Kindergarten class yet, the teacher had him butted up to chalkboard yesterday no wonder he was talking to himself and playing. Cody said it was just yesterday but, you know kids they might not remember everything. The also funny thing I just find amazing is Cody has all A's across the board and +'s for all grades. Hmm... yeah he was such... a problem. I let him play hooky today for his last day he never misses school and he got a perfect attendance free meal at a local restaurant. . The news is for First Grade he'll have a teacher that he has visited before and he thinks she is nicer than his old teacher. I am not making a habit of the hooky just an FYI but, it was Kindergarten and his whole week was consisted of him being yelled at by the teacher for defending himself. A girl keep touching him and he was pushing her arm away because he doesn't like to be touched or bothered. Cody is a loving fellow but, he doesn't like a lot of hugs other than from family and even that is limited which I totally understand. I am not implying Cody is an all the time behaved kid I know better than that but, getting notes saying he was misbehaving yet, his school work supports evidence he was not playing around all day just tells me that this teacher in particular and Cody did not mess. I am going to fulfill Cody's private evaluation for my own support from a therapist so I can have tools if needed but, unless he comes home with D's. I think the school will laugh at me at this point. I know they have to
    go with it if I want it but, I am feeling more confident that Cody does understand his work and its possible that he was bored.
    *** Lindsay ***

some teachers just 'have it in for' certain kids because of personality conflicts this could be contributing to all the "issues" she has with cody.

Some teacher's teaching styles just don't mesh with some students. But he made it through the year, and did a great job! Hopefully his new teacher for next year is better! Everyone deserves a day off every once in a while. When I was growing up my mom called them "mental health days," lol. She let us take one like twice a year maybe because we never missed any school otherwise. I hope next year is a better one for him!
    Jennifer

I hope he has a better experience next year! Grades, though, are not indicative of behavior. A few of my most poorly behaved students were some of my brightest. Going through school, I was always the first one done with all my work. I loved school, though, and was happy to just sit and read when I finished. Other children, when things come easy, get their work done, and find ways to get into trouble. Not saying that that is what Cody is doing, but it does happen. It's good, though, that he has a positive outlook for next year!

Blog Entries

The bright side is that the year is almost over! Hopefully he will gel with his new teacher better next year.

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

How awful. I am a teacher myself and I have had all sorts of kids in class. I realized that my naughtiest kids were actually quite bright and smart and were just either not challenged enough or had a different way of learning (e.g. dyslexia and such). It was challenging and frustrating for me as it was hard to give them personal attention in a class of 30 children but whenever I managed to, they were at their BEST behaviour. Plus, with such children some methods won't work twice. But I don't remember sending constant notes to parents! It just makes no sense to give a child an A and say he was no engaged in the classroom?!? Talk about integrity...
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by jazzmom View Post
    The bright side is that the year is almost over! Hopefully he will gel with his new teacher better next year.
    Well Yesterday was his last day and general but, it worked out better we didn't send him because we had an urgent deal with my Grandma so we
    needed someone to be with him and Sophia and MIL watched them.
    *** Lindsay ***

Quote Originally Posted by cheeksy View Post
    How awful. I am a teacher myself and I have had all sorts of kids in class. I realized that my naughtiest kids were actually quite bright and smart and were just either not challenged enough or had a different way of learning (e.g. dyslexia and such). It was challenging and frustrating for me as it was hard to give them personal attention in a class of 30 children but whenever I managed to, they were at their BEST behaviour. Plus, with such children some methods won't work twice. But I don't remember sending constant notes to parents! It just makes no sense to give a child an A and say he was no engaged in the classroom?!? Talk about integrity...
    That's the thing that puzzles me I can see an occasional note, I can see if he did have grades slipping but, all A's? I know Cody can be a stinker sometimes I am not disputing that but, its like really.. a note daily for "not be on task" or "playing" to be if he is playing or not being on task I guess I would think his grades would
    slip but, its done and over with now.. hoping for better things in the fall.
    *** Lindsay ***

Did you get constant notes and no phone call? If it was an ongoing issue, you need to be called in, and something needs to be done to support him in the classroom. If he happens to have difficulty again next year, hopefully you will have a more proactive teacher who will call you and work with you and your son. If a teacher has to send constant notes, then she should be calling. If it happens again next year, set up an appointment right away.

Quote Originally Posted by i.<3.cheesysmiles View Post
    Did you get constant notes and no phone call? If it was an ongoing issue, you need to be called in, and something needs to be done to support him in the classroom. If he happens to have difficulty again next year, hopefully you will have a more proactive teacher who will call you and work with you and your son. If a teacher has to send constant notes, then she should be calling. If it happens again next year, set up an appointment right away.
    No phone call. I emailed her within the first month of him starting because I noticed a pattern with daily notes but, no phone calls. I emailed her first to see what the problem was and she told me she wasn't concerned. I tried to send another note to school so we could talk about the issue but no word back, I called last week as soon as get go off the bus but, she wasn't in she left for the day. What teacher leaves at 2:35 pm when school gets out at 2:16? This system is hugely different than what I had at school. When I was in school trust me my parents had to call and talk to the teachers school would get out at 3:00 PM or so and most teachers would be there until 3:30 pm (earliest) but, usually were gone at 4 PM. She is leaving 15-20 minutes after school? That doesn't make since I do know for next year if this is a problem for 1. I am getting him evaluated
    2. Like you say I will be setting up an appointment- I asked for an appointment and she brushed me off. 3. If she brushes me off my next step is the principal. 4. If they brush me off I will be contacting the school system.
    *** Lindsay ***

I am glad you have a plan! No teacher should ever blow off a parent, and if there is enough of a concern to be writing constant notes, there is enough of a problem to set up a meeting with the parent. A teacher should be the one taking that initiative. If she says their wasn't a concern, then why the daily notes? That must have been so frustrating!
    Definitely don't be afraid to go above her to the principal. You definitely have the right to request a meeting with teachers. I bet this is just an individual problem with this specific teacher, and not the school. However, I wouldn't necessarily think it was wrong that she was not there after school. Some days, I left with the kids. There were days I had appointments, or I was just tired. lol. I also preferred to get there very early and get home early. If I stayed too late I sat in traffic. Maybe she has kids she needs to get home to. Many of my colleagues had to leave early to be home for their kids' buses.