Thread: When to start pumping?

Default When to start pumping?

Dd2 is 3 months old. I EBF and am a sahm (for now). I will be going back to work when she is 12-15months old and then she will be in daycare 8-10 hours a day . I plan on bfing until she is 2-2.5 years old.

I think I should pump in order to get a stash for when she's at daycare. I don't want her to have water until after 2 years old, I think...idk. Opinions? How much breast milk will she drink during the day at daycare?

I def don't want her to have cows, goat, or any other kind of milk either.

Since breast milk is only good for 6 months in the freezer I don't think I should start now, right?

Probably not a huge stash, but keeping some extra milk for date nights or outings with out baby would be good....plus, you want to keep your body responsive to the pump. If you work up a pretty good stash that needs to be recycled try finding a local mom in need, or cringe as you dump it down the sink, lol. Even when it's free hahaha I still cringe! I worked for that!
    Please stay with me LOBrittany(28)DH(39) DSD-(18) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks

You can start pumping now but since she is going to daycare at or after 1 year old, I wouldn't worry too much as you can introduce whole milk at 1 year old or whatever else you want (rice milk, almond milk, goat milk etc). however, if you wish to stick to BM, I would start pumping now to develop a habit as it will be much harder to pump once your supply is much more established and you get more mature milk. You can keep BM in deep freezer up to 6 months and you can also use it when introducing solids and in emergency situation. If the milk is getting close to expiry and you haven't used it - you can always donate it to the BM bank or locally to some struggling mom.
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

It's never a bad idea to keep a stash in your fridge. God forbid something would happen that would keep you away (or maybe something good like an overnight date with your hubby or something), it's nice to not have to worry.

I give my son (10 months) water. Not as a replacement for breast milk obviously but occasionally with meals and stuff. Or if I'm drinking water and he wants a sip I give it to him.

He's 10 months, I'm at work 9 hours a day and he drinks between 2 and 3 4 oz bottles depending on how much I've pumped at work the day before. He also nurses as soon as I get home, while going to sleep, and a few times throughout the night and when he wakes up.

Wait, you EBF now so you are pumping now? If so I would definitely start pumping extra now and just always use the oldest milk so you can keep refreshing it. I think it may take a lot of work to do what you are hoping to do for 2 years but it's possible! Once your supply adjusts (in a few months) it's hard to get extra. You may have to add in a "pumping session" in between regular sessions. Still you always end up feel like you are taking milk that she would have drunk.
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/rec...breastmilk.htm

That link advises 6-12 months in a deep freezer.
    Dorcas (36) DH (37) 3/13

Quote Originally Posted by macksmom View Post
    Wait, you EBF now so you are pumping now? If so I would definitely start pumping extra now and just always use the oldest milk so you can keep refreshing it. I think it may take a lot of work to do what you are hoping to do for 2 years but it's possible! Once your supply adjusts (in a few months) it's hard to get extra. You may have to add in a "pumping session" in between regular sessions. Still you always end up feel like you are taking milk that she would have drunk.
    No, I'm not pumping now. I was wondering when I should start. Why would it be hard to do what I'm trying to do?

I think what y'all are saying is that I should start pumping now before my supply adjusts? When/why does it adjust?

Quote Originally Posted by khadijavye View Post
    http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/rec...breastmilk.htm

That link advises 6-12 months in a deep freezer.
    I don't have a deep freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by cheeksy View Post
    You can start pumping now but since she is going to daycare at or after 1 year old, I wouldn't worry too much as you can introduce whole milk at 1 year old or whatever else you want (rice milk, almond milk, goat milk etc). however, if you wish to stick to BM, I would start pumping now to develop a habit as it will be much harder to pump once your supply is much more established and you get more mature milk. You can keep BM in deep freezer up to 6 months and you can also use it when introducing solids and in emergency situation. If the milk is getting close to expiry and you haven't used it - you can always donate it to the BM bank or locally to some struggling mom.
    I will not be giving her cow, almond, rice, goat, or any other kind of milk

I'd say my supply adjusted around 4/5 months PP. DS literally nursed for hours on end for the first few months of his life so I had a TON of milk. As he nursed less and then with me going back to work I had less of a surplus.

EBF= exclusively breastfeed EBM=expressed breast milk

You EBF correct..... You will be fine, just throw in some pumping time it's all possible momma. It just takes some effort
    Please stay with me LOBrittany(28)DH(39) DSD-(18) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

Oh sorry, start now.

Quote Originally Posted by dunegirl View Post
    No, I'm not pumping now. I was wondering when I should start. Why would it be hard to do what I'm trying to do?

I think what y'all are saying is that I should start pumping now before my supply adjusts? When/why does it adjust?
    Sorry I guess I misread EBF as that you expressed BF not exclusively BF so I thought you were pumping and using bottles. I think it would be hard to go from 100% nursing to 100% pumping and still be able to keep up with the amount of BM she is getting now and to get as much as you want to get without supplementing ANY other liquids with a supply that is already well established.

A pump is not as efficient as a child so you will have to pump even more than you nurse. I am sure it will be fine but I do think it will be hard to get enough once your supply is that established. I forgot how much milk they should be getting by age one...15-18oz I think? And I am not sure if that includes other liquids....why don't you want her to have water?

I weaned my last DD by switching to a bottle instead of nursing which she did 90% of the time and I got very little when I pumped. There was no way that could have been the only liquid she was getting. But that was my experience. Hopefully yours will be different!

Quote Originally Posted by macksmom View Post
    Sorry I guess I misread EBF as that you expressed BF not exclusively BF so I thought you were pumping and using bottles. I think it would be hard to go from 100% nursing to 100% pumping and still be able to keep up with the amount of BM she is getting now and to get as much as you want to get without supplementing ANY other liquids with a supply that is already well established.

A pump is not as efficient as a child so you will have to pump even more than you nurse. I am sure it will be fine but I do think it will be hard to get enough once your supply is that established. I forgot how much milk they should be getting by age one...15-18oz I think? And I am not sure if that includes other liquids....why don't you want her to have water?

I weaned my last DD by switching to a bottle instead of nursing which she did 90% of the time and I got very little when I pumped. There was no way that could have been the only liquid she was getting. But that was my experience. Hopefully yours will be different!
    I'm not trying to go from 100%ebf to 100% pumping. I'm also not against water before 2. I was thinking that dd should get BM until at least 2 years old and also learn to drink from a sippy with water as early as 6 months. So by 1 years old she will be getting water I suppose. I will still nurse her when she's not in daycare (nights and weekends).

I was thinking I should start pumping now to get my body used to it. I was only planning on pumping 1 time a day. So if I start now then I should get a pretty good stash by the time she 12 months, right.

Quote Originally Posted by dunegirl View Post
    I'm not trying to go from 100%ebf to 100% pumping. I'm also not against water before 2. I was thinking that dd should get BM until at least 2 years old and also learn to drink from a sippy with water as early as 6 months. So by 1 years old she will be getting water I suppose. I will still nurse her when she's not in daycare (nights and weekends).

I was thinking I should start pumping now to get my body used to it. I was only planning on pumping 1 time a day. So if I start now then I should get a pretty good stash by the time she 12 months, right.
    I misunderstood the nursing in the evenings and weekends part (my 3 kids were all in the room and asking me a thousand questions!) but you said in the OP that you didn't want her to have water before 2 so that is why I was asking. I think if you are still nursing then she will probably just make up for what she is lacking. I would start pumping soon to increase your supply and when she is cup ready use the BM you have to practice with the sippy. By the time she is one she will be a pro at the cup and you will probably have a decent stash. I assume you will be able to pump a lot at work? Your body will adjust for that too. You should come up with an amount you are aiming to pump each day - like 10-15oz or something. She is only 3M so you don't know what her nursing habits will be like by then. She may still be nursing at night and get most of her intake then. She may not really drink a lot from the cup. She will be eating solids. So many factors at play.

The point is if you want her to have breast milk until 2 she will get it. It may just take some planning.
    Last edited by macksmom; 06-11-2014 at 08:14 PM.

Oh pumping at work.....I didn't plan on pumping at work since it will be after she is 1 year. I weaned off of the pump at 13 months with dd1 so I just assumed that since I'm home with dd2 that I wouldn't need to pump at work, hmmmm. I guess if I need to add to my stash then I will pump at work.

I pumped this morning for the first time and got 5oz!!! Woohoo!!

That's awesome!! When/if you freeze it, freeze it in separate bags like 2.5 oz in each. I made the mistake of freezing huge bags and so much got wasted.

For sure like pp said, freeze in smaller amounts. And, ya I misunderstood...I thought you would be pumping at work. No matter what, you should at the very least pump during lunch (but I would say try at least 2x in 8-9 hours) you will be surprised at how quick you will dry up if you neglect the breast 5 days a week for 8-9 hours on a very long term basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Brittany_Dawn View Post
    For sure like pp said, freeze in smaller amounts. And, ya I misunderstood...I thought you would be pumping at work. No matter what, you should at the very least pump during lunch (but I would say try at least 2x in 8-9 hours) you will be surprised at how quick you will dry up if you neglect the breast 5 days a week for 8-9 hours on a very long term basis.
    Really? With dd1 I went back to work when she was 3 months old and pumped 3 times while at work. I weaned off the pump starting at 12 months and was done wth it by 13 months. I was still able to nurse dd nights and weekends with no problems. Then when she was 15 months I got laid off and was able to nurse all day and all night again.

But I guess you're right because my body will be used to nursing throughout the day. So I should pump a little bit while at work....if I can find work.

If you have a regular freezer then 3 months for bm there. And you can always introduce bm in a sippy as well as water.